Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm going to order a new bike right away, one with super-efficient high-tech gears please!

If it doesn't take me to work at 60km/h, I'll be taking case against the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Grassey wrote: »
    If a bicyle can quietly sneak up on you at 60kmh wait until they hear about the electric automobile

Would it help if we all made "brum brum" noises as we cycled round or attached fake sounds like in Formula 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Road Traffic Ammendment Act 2021: All bicycles shall be fitted with a bell and ghettoblaster.

Guess it'd solve the headphone (non) issue

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

From my understanding on that letter, KOMs on strava are set by bicycles and not people accidentally leaving their GPS on in their car, as cars don't travel that fast?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you are legally obliged to clothespeg a piece of cardboard from a corn flakes box to your chainstay now.

• Advertisement

Milk carton was my preferred material for that back in the day.

Cornflakes boxes were a great source of reflectors and spokey dokeys back then, or were spokey dokeys free in the Frosties?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ooh, fancy pants mil cartons.
    we had milk bottles when i were a lad. and even with that, the birds would regularly steal the cream off the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This reminds me of a fact I heard in the BBC Radio 4 panel show The Unbelievable Truth: bells on bikes were originally required in UK law to be rung constantly while the bike was moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I dont want to perpetuate the 1400 post "cyclists dont pay road tax" thread....

But I did get a chuckle from the "sure you'll be grand" attitude on this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058180042

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I dont want to perpetuate the 1400 post "cyclists dont pay road tax" thread....

But I did get a chuckle from the "sure you'll be grand" attitude on this.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058180042

You would think all these people who "have done a test" would know the rules of the road perfectly and shouldn't need to ask questions like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

apparently they don't even pay road tax either!

apparently they don't even pay road tax either!

I stopped my bicycle at a red light today and the car behind me overtook and broke the red on a busy city street.

Clear proof then that "they" all do it

spotted this in the motoring forum too, and i was thinking 'by god, that's *mild* compared to what you see on the bike'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058181082

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't drive much, but I think people do that every time I do.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I stopped my bicycle at a red light today and the car behind me overtook and broke the red on a busy city street.

Clear proof then that "they" all do it
    Every light I stop at on my commute has cars running the red in the morning, it would be unusual not too.
    spotted this in the motoring forum too, and i was thinking 'by god, that's *mild* compared to what you see on the bike'

Maybe mild in comparison but I am shocked how many people think it is grand. Even referring to it as an "early start to an overtake". "Shure isn't it grand to overtake into oncoming traffic so long as it has nearly passed?1?" Holy f*ck, it is sh1tty driving, it is insanity any of them think it is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think the location of the dashcam made it look less serious than what it probably felt like in reality.

Think the location of the dashcam made it look less serious than what it probably felt like in reality.
    I was laughing at the delusion of some of them after the screenshot showing the car over 1/3 across the median line, about 5m before they reach each other. Passat driver, and I know the type from back home, expect the poster to pull in on the verge, which is as gritty as f*ck, could easily spin out if brakes or accelerator tapped. Absolute muppetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

CramCycle wrote: »
    Every light I stop at on my commute has cars running the red in the morning, it would be unusual not too.

Maybe mild in comparison but I am shocked how many people think it is grand. Even referring to it as an "early start to an overtake". "Shure isn't it grand to overtake into oncoming traffic so long as it has nearly passed?1?" Holy f*ck, it is sh1tty driving, it is insanity any of them think it is acceptable.

I think the thing I get most shocked and infuriated by on the roads is what I call the casual sh*t driving by many drivers, and what's most shocking and infuriating is that it's so endemic that nobody seems to pay a blind bit of notice to it. I'm talking about things like-

- casually crossing over a white line into the opposite side while taking a country road bend at a too high speed to stay on your own side.

- casually stopping halfway over the stop line at a junction, or right over the ASL with a big bike symbol on it.

- (usually in conjunction with the previous one) casually creeping even more forward into the junction before the lights change (often then the lights are still green for traffic from the other direction)

- casually cutting the arse off a corner in a car park.

When I'm driving I always make a point of beeping people when they display this sort of casual **** driving. They usually look at me like i'm just some weird crank for pointing it out to them.

That sort of behavior is endemic out where I live - I've learnt to expect it now around some of the blind bends and react accordingly when it happens. Coming over the narrow bridge in our village MrsD had her mirror clipped one day by a taxi coming over it at speed with nearly half of his car on the wrong side of the road.

I'm with you, ped lights outside my sons school are a prime example, people stop on the crosswalk, drive through it when its amber and red. I mean, legalistic stuff aside, its a traffic lights outside two national schools FFS What is wrong with people?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

CramCycle wrote: »
    FFS What is wrong with people?
    Simply, they know that they are extremely unlikely to be caught!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Simply, they know that they are extremely unlikely to be caught!

Time for some citizen action maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Time for some citizen action maybe?
    Link fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

zell12 wrote: »
    Link fixed
    ]

Worked fine for me!

Do you need to include the full url between the YT tags?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭cletus

Worked fine for me!

Still working for me on phone

Duckjob wrote: »
    I think the thing I get most shocked and infuriated by on the roads is what I call the casual sh*t driving by many drivers, and what's most shocking and infuriating is that it's so endemic that nobody seems to pay a blind bit of notice to it. I'm talking about things like-

- casually crossing over a white line into the opposite side while taking a country road bend at a too high speed to stay on your own side.

- casually stopping halfway over the stop line at a junction, or right over the ASL with a big bike symbol on it.

- (usually in conjunction with the previous one) casually creeping even more forward into the junction before the lights change (often then the lights are still green for traffic from the other direction)

- casually cutting the arse off a corner in a car park.

When I'm driving I always make a point of beeping people when they display this sort of casual **** driving. They usually look at me like i'm just some weird crank for pointing it out to them.

That sort of behavior is endemic out where I live - I've learnt to expect it now around some of the blind bends and react accordingly when it happens. Coming over the narrow bridge in our village MrsD had her mirror clipped one day by a taxi coming over it at speed with nearly half of his car on the wrong side of the road.

And in the context of all that isn't it a magnificent deflection to pin a repuation for lawlessness, recklessness, endemic rule breaking on cyclists.

With of course a media cohort who backs this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

What kind of residents group backlashes against safer streets?

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1386566207751573504

My favourite retort:
    Sam Bennett in his green jersey and cleats chasing a win and me in my orange skirt and sandals pedalling to the supermarket share only one thing in common: a similarly shaped object under our respective arses.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/pedestrians-and-cyclists-1.4548217

buffalo wrote: »

Question - would they print a letter saying cars are routinely rearing around quiet city streets at 150km per hour.

No.

It seems that you can say daft (or more specifically, untrue) things about cyclists, and the Irish Times is quite happy to publish it.

On a side note to the above letters:

I would be in the camp at this stage that says cyclists should not be using the phone while cycling. Was on the clontarf cycle path on Saturday evening and TBF there is not much margin for error there, you really do need to concentrate.

A few times I have people in front of me on the phone - the big issue probably is that they are video calling, thereby wobbling everywhere.

Also, linked issue - spotted a Tesla yesterday that had a full 12" size tablet built into the dashboard, or attached to it.....

WTF!! You can watch Game of Thrones on your drive down to Cork now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Worked fine for me!

Your closing YouTube tag is missing the forward slash. It still works on the touch site but it's broken on desktop.

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Also, linked issue - spotted a Tesla yesterday that had a full 12" size tablet built into the dashboard, or attached to it.....

WTF!! You can watch Game of Thrones on your drive down to Cork now?
    they're fairly standard in teslas AFAIK. some of the functionality is disabled when the car is moving IIRC.

Advertisement