Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a tv in one of my BMWs. It would turn to a blue warning screen (but with tv sound) as soon as you start driving.
    I recall being stuck in traffic in the 2010 snow in the Sandyford Ind Est for a few hours. It was grand to be able to sit there and watch the six-1 news. Teletext was also available on it.
    The ending of the analogue signal meant that when I eventually sold the car, the tv had no stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I had a tv in one of my BMWs. It would turn to a blue warning screen (but with tv sound) as soon as you start driving.
    I recall being stuck in traffic in the 2010 snow in the Sandyford Ind Est for a few hours. It was grand to be able to sit there and watch the six-1 news. Teletext was also available on it.
    The ending of the analogue signal meant that when I eventually sold the car, the tv had no stations.

@Seth Brundle.
    I watched the final of Mastermind lat night.
    Your name came up in one of the questions.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @Seth Brundle.
    I watched the final of Mastermind lat night.
    Your name came up in one of the questions.
    We should start a new thread: Boards Jersey Username Sightings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Question - would they print a letter saying cars are routinely rearing around quiet city streets at 150km per hour.

No.

It seems that you can say daft (or more specifically, untrue) things about cyclists, and the Irish Times is quite happy to publish it.

Anyone up for trying? Copy the letter like for like?

Mannix's latest "I'm pro-cycling but against anyone cycling safely" group gets a mention on breakingnews.ie
    Group campaign against plan to 'force through' Dublin cycling lane changes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Mannix's latest "I'm pro-cycling but against anyone cycling safely" group gets a mention on breakingnews.ie

I think their name " Cycle Lane Action Group" is excellent.

Leads one to believe they are pro cycling and cycle lanes. I think they need an "anti" in there somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seaswimmer wrote: »

Leads one to believe they are pro cycling and cycle lanes. I think they need an "anti" in there somewhere

It's very European Research Group.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,559 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Seaswimmer wrote: »

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's very European Research Group.

Agree, and as such, they may find themselves in conversations in which they are perceived in a different manner than what they are.

A kind of Trojan horse pretending to be pro-cycling while wanting to maintain access for cars as much as possible if the analogy can stretch that far.

Agree, and as such, they may find themselves in conversations in which they are perceived in a different manner than what they are.

A kind of Trojan horse pretending to be pro-cycling while wanting to maintain access for cars as much as possible if the analogy can stretch that far.

Everyone should just start referring to them as the Clag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

551552.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Question - would they print a letter saying cars are routinely rearing around quiet city streets at 150km per hour.

No.

It seems that you can say daft (or more specifically, untrue) things about cyclists, and the Irish Times is quite happy to publish it.

That is exactly what struck me as well about the original letter, at least they published 4 letters rubbishing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"the vehicular lane" someone might want to tell this guy that bicycles are vehicles. I reckon it's a wind up with a name like Frank Slowey

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭oisinog

"the vehicular lane" someone might want to tell this guy that bicycles are vehicles. I reckon it's a wind up with a name like Frank Slowey

Just check out CLAG on the urban dictionary

oisinog wrote: »
    Just check out CLAG on the urban dictionary

"that weird clag that fills your back yards and covers your roads"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Too much irony for me in one sentence, I am out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I reckon it's a wind up with a name like Frank Slowey
    from a quick google, it's not the first letter he's written to the times; there's at least half a dozen others. he seems to have moved from D16 to gorey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

from a quick google, it's not the first letter he's written to the times; there's at least half a dozen others. he seems to have moved from D16 to gorey.

I hope I am wrong but I think he is a former neighbour of my mother in laws who sat on the residence committee, I must check out of pure unadulterated nosiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Your closing YouTube tag is missing the forward slash. It still works on the touch site but it's broken on desktop.

Much appreciated.

Is there any list of the members of the CLAG available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Is there any list of the members of the CLAG available?

Probably the same as the ACI list

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Would Mods be open to a new thread dealing with anti-cycling rhetoric in the Irish Times. My guess is that represents circa 40% of the discussion on this group, and its just one media outlet.

I personally would like to the IT's consistent and ongoing role in this (national) discussion to be highlighted in a more standalone fashion, to be in the spotlight.

Would Mods be open to a new thread dealing with anti-cycling rhetoric in the Irish Times. My guess is that represents circa 40% of the discussion on this group, and its just one media outlet.

I personally would like to the IT's consistent and ongoing role in this (national) discussion to be highlighted in a more standalone fashion, to be in the spotlight.

If it's any consolation it's only us here and the people who write IT letters that read IT letters

They published multiple letters in support of cycling, and multiple articles which treated the subject well, so I don't see the consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,703 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We hear horror stories about Oz, we're pretty lucky here comparatively https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1387352476916064260?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

The other shocking thing about Australia is that their drivers are the worst, most aggressive drivers I've ever seen. Some of the antics I've witnessed are incredible. So even without over bearing police officers I would say it's not the most pleasant of places to cycle.

I never cycled while I lived there.

zell12 wrote: »
    We hear horror stories about Oz, we're pretty lucky here comparatively https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1387352476916064260?s=20

Is there a video for this. All I can see is a picture

Is there a video for this. All I can see is a picture

https://www.tiktok.com/@360in4k/video/6946911577987714305?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Jaysus, pure power trip. I couldn't have stayed calm talking to that gob***te. :pac: "It changes the dynamics of the helmet" :rolleyes:

Advertisement