Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Can say that about all exercising!! Some how we still don't push exercise enough or provide the right facilities

Cycling is different though, in the sense that it displaces journeys by motorised trasport (which I assume is the reference to saving the planet).

I regard swimming as probably superior exercise to cycling in many regards, but it doesn't help me do the shopping or bring the kids to school. Maybe for Aquaman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, cycling can be leisure/sport/commute/utilitarian and exercise. maybe not all at the same time (i don't think you could competitively commute to work really); of course running can be many or all of these too, but cycling offers greater range and utility. and is easier for the elderly, or people who can't run easily.

cycling does suffer from the drawback that it needs infrastructure runners don't necessarily need to worry about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I regard swimming as probably superior exercise to cycling in many regards, but it doesn't help me do the shopping or bring the kids to school. Maybe for Aquaman.
    i dare you to write to the council asking that when busconnects proceeds, that swimming lanes are provided alongside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

yeah, cycling can be leisure/sport/commute/utilitarian and exercise. maybe not all at the same time (i don't think you could competitively commute to work really); of course running can be many or all of these too, but cycling offers greater range and utility. and is easier for the elderly, or people who can't run easily.
    I'm trying to get through to my teenager who "hates" cycling that it isn't just exercise, it's her getting to and from her pals when she wants!
    cycling does suffer from the drawback that it needs infrastructure runners don't necessarily need to worry about.
    Runners don't need it as they just use cycle lanes!

of course running can be many or all of these too, but cycling offers greater range and utility. and is easier for the elderly, or people who can't run easily.

Yeah, and cycling allows you to carry quite large loads that are tedious or difficult to run with, and it's an awful lot less effort than running, km for km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah, and cycling allows you to carry quite large loads that are tedious or difficult to run with, and it's an awful lot less effort than running, km for km.

In London, run commute is growing at a faster rate than any other form of commute!!! The only city in Europe though

I don't really like running in the city, paths aren't in great shape.

As for runners in cycle lanes, probably the same as cyclists on footpaths.

When we go on hols in France, cyclists, runners and walkers share alot of the same area and it works so well.

Yeah, I'm not having a go at running, or runners. I just can't run 30km a day carrying two kids, but I can cycle it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yeah, I'm not having a go at running, or runners. I just can't run 30km a day carrying two kids, but I can cycle it.
    You can't do it or you just haven't tried?

You can't do it or you just haven't tried?

I don't think I could walk much further than the end of my street carrying an eleven-year-old and a nearly-nine-year-old.

it's amazing how quickly you adapt; i remember when we went camping (i'm talking in my early 20s to be fair), i walked half a mile to my friend's house with the rucksack, tent, etc. on my back, and fell in his front door with the effort.
    several days later, we got back and walked from heuston station to blanchardstown, with the same gear on our backs, and it was fine.

• Advertisement

Interesting challenge!!!:D

it's amazing how quickly you adapt; i remember when we went camping (i'm talking in my early 20s to be fair), i walked half a mile to my friend's house with the rucksack, tent, etc. on my back, and fell in his front door with the effort.
    several days later, we got back and walked from heuston station to blanchardstown, with the same gear on our backs, and it was fine.

That was just the norm back then. Walking miles home after the pub as wasn't going to pay for a taxi :)

Its all too easy now!!

I do carry them up to bed sometimes if they fall asleep on the couch, but extrapolating from that to 7.5km journeys seems quite a stretch to me! Timewise too.

If the school was a bit nearer, and on calmer roads, they'd be fine with running to school, or cycling. They do run home beside me quite a lot of the time, once we're on the calmer streets.

That was just the norm back then. Walking miles home after the pub as wasn't going to pay for a taxi :)
    we used to walk home from the strawberry hall (the pub under the west link) to blanchardstown too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

https://twitter.com/LindsayPB/status/1389667595327049729

I was only thinking about this recently, you can have any big f*ck off ugly vehicle in your garden or outside, but things like this are subjected to ridiculous laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If I were that family, I'd disassemble the shed and buy a £200 Transit or similar and put that in the front garden and store the bikes in the back of it (would be exempt from planning as it's not fixed structure) - there would soon be a neighbourhood petition to get the shed back...

I'd get the ugliest old Ford Transit yes and leave it there looking as horrible as possible to make a point.
    Does anyone use those boxes? I could do with one myself, but I doubt they're very secure?

Does a van have to be roadworthy to be left in a driveway? Similar case in Mayo, as IrishCycle on twitter pointed out:
    Kenny claims that a Mayo County Council official told him that they would have no problem with keeping a van of the same size as the shed “as long as it was not within end of life”, so it would have to be roadworthy.
    https://irishcycle.com/2017/09/05/shed-for-cargo-bicycle-refused-permission-in-smarter-travel-town/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Does a van have to be roadworthy to be left in a driveway? Similar case in Mayo, as IrishCycle on twitter pointed out:

https://irishcycle.com/2017/09/05/shed-for-cargo-bicycle-refused-permission-in-smarter-travel-town/

I think that the roadworthiness or not of any vehicle left on private property is of no concern to anyone. Sometimes dead vehicles in driveways are an eyesore, but that wasn't what was mentioned as an issue there.
    The shed in Mayo is (was?) a bit too tall to be ignored (does anyone know how things went?).
    The shed in Leicester is well-designed, lower than the surrounding hedges and made out of nice-looking materials - there should be no issue.

There has been a car parked on the footpath a few meters from my house for at least a year now, one of the tyres is flat. It's just mad how you can do that and no one cares, I've no idea who owns it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not a legal person in any way. I presume the county council official in the quote was referring to this or similar (it still does't make 100% sense to me though):

the local authority is of the opinion that the condition of the vehicle is such that it is capable of being used as a vehicle or can, by the expenditure of a reasonable amount of money, be rendered capable of being so used
    a local authority may enter on any land upon which a vehicle has been abandoned and remove the said vehicle; a local authority shall not, other than with the consent of the occupier, enter into a private dwelling under this subsection unless it has given to the occupier of the dwelling not less than 24 hours notice in writing of its intended entry.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1996/act/10/section/71/enacted/en/html#sec71

In practice, I've seen total wrecks left in the street for months, and in driveways for years

EDIT: Declaring a vehicle off-road makes it an "end of life vehicle" according to another thread on Boards.

This registering vehicles off-road and storing on private property business is kind of complicated. I guess not many people do it for a vehicle they simultaneously have no plan to drive or plan to scrap or sell.

I was only thinking about this recently, you can have any big f*ck off ugly vehicle in your garden or outside, but things like this are subjected to ridiculous laws.

In fairness, it fits in well there, hedges blocking it and a big tree in front of it.

Might understand if it was an estate where no walls separate the gardens from the roads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not to mention the hideosity of the paving people put in for their driveways.

Cabra would be a prime example of this, a hotch potch of different pillars, gates, cobble driveways, concrete driveways, red brick cobbles, black brick cobbles and so on.

Compared to when they were first built, and were all front gardens with railings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Somebody complained to somebody with influence, in the case of Leicester I'd bet.

That's a fine looking shed and would be an improvement to the eyeline on most streets. it's a curtain-twitcher who doesn't like the family or doesn't particularly like themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

There has been a car parked on the footpath a few meters from my house for at least a year now, one of the tyres is flat. It's just mad how you can do that and no one cares, I've no idea who owns it.

We've had two cars moved from our estate this year that were abandoned.
    If it's been there over a year I doubt it's taxed/insured - gardai should shift it, they did the last one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Somebody complained to somebody with influence, in the case of Leicester I'd bet.

It's pretty straight forward to make a complaint about an unauthorised development to your local council here, no need for any influence. I presume it's the same in the UK.

modification to headline is mine:

Section of Griffith Avenue cycleway was (previously) ruled out over safety - DCC admits
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0505/1213976-part-of-griffith-ave-cycleway-was-ruled-out-over-safety/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    It's pretty straight forward to make a complaint about an unauthorised development to your local council here, no need for any influence. I presume it's the same in the UK.

I am reliably told that removing the number plates before reporting to the council is a good way to have a vehicle removed. I am neither confirming or recommending this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

modification to headline is mine:

Section of Griffith Avenue cycleway was (previously) ruled out over safety - DCC admits
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0505/1213976-part-of-griffith-ave-cycleway-was-ruled-out-over-safety/

You'd have to wonder why the national broadcaster is writing an article about this at all....there are roadworks all over the country that are costing substantially more than this one.

What are you thinking if you are sitting in somewhere like Dunfanaghy or Edgeworthstown, and RTE/ Irish Times etc hasnt said a thing about your town for years; and yet cycle lanes in Glasnevin and Sandymount are being written about on a weekly basis.

Advertisement