Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, i've had disagreements with david davin power on facebook about the works on griffith avenue, maybe he still has friends in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Glasgow “pensioners” admit laying traps for cyclists in park
    https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1389919142950719491

When I looked at this yesterday, this was the first response: 552382.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Cool, so I guess I can get creative with some Mad Max sh*t on the road outside my house to deal with the self-entitled a**eholes that drive out from the cul-de-sac around the corner like they're Lewis Hamilton every morning when kids are out and about walking to school. Good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Holding-wire.jpg

Wicklow, via Stickybottle.

At least the fence posts you can see, at speed it'd be near impossible to see barbed wire especially with shades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That's full on attempted murder.

I can't figure out the vitriol for cyclists. They make life easier for those irritated by them (less congestion), contribute to the economy (tax on the never ending bike things you need to constantly purchase), save government money (health benefits, less hospital time etc. ) - I don't get it. Those levels of hate and their cheerleaders baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

eeeee wrote: »

I can't figure out the vitriol for cyclists. They make life easier for those irritated by them (less congestion), contribute to the economy (tax on the never ending bike things you need to constantly purchase), save government money (health benefits, less hospital time etc. ) - I don't get it. Those levels of hate and their cheerleaders baffles me.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/03/28/study-aggressive-driving-is-linked-to-seeing-cyclists-as-less-than-human/

I see it simply as the dark side of human nature at work - When societal permission is given (as it is currently with people on bikes) to hate an out-group, then some people will go all out on hating that group. I guess it's just an outlet for all the frustrations and inadequecies in their own lives.

Edit: also, social media doesn't help as it gives a megaphone to these toxic minded people and helps them group together with others of the same mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ED E wrote: »
    Holding-wire.jpg

At least the fence posts you can see, at speed it'd be near impossible to see barbed wire especially with shades.

Oh my god. Why would you do that to.anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,627 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It has nothing got to do with roads. A real lightbulb went off for me a few years back when I worked in a place where I worked along side people who were either vegan, trans or lesbian/bi women with an alternative fashion sense and the correlation of stories was shocking. The world is changing and these people are scared because they don't have the brain power to change with it

It doesn't matter if you vote Renua and fuel your fire with plastic and tyres once you choose to get on a bike you are a "hippy green BLM woke f@***t"

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It has nothing got to do with roads. A real lightbulb went off for me a few years back when I worked in a place where I worked along side people who were either vegan, trans or lesbian/bi women with an alternative fashion sense and the correlation of stories was shocking. The world is changing and these people are scared because they don't have the brain power to change with it

It doesn't matter if you vote Renua and fuel your fire with plastic and tyres once you choose to get on a bike you are a "hippy green BLM woke f@***t"

Thats interesting - also, the media takes a very two faced attitude to this....

On the one hand being very right on with regard to some disenfranchised groups, but being openly dismissive to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

A real lightbulb went off for me a few years back when I worked in a place where I worked along side people who were either vegan, trans or lesbian/bi women with an alternative fashion sense and the correlation of stories was shocking.

I'm a 40's, father of two, suburban dweller etc (so don't really think I fit into an "alternative" bracket) but I'm also a vegan and a cyclist and I was would agree with this, I get the same stupid "jokes" and abuse about cycling as I do about my diet.

I have in the past also highlighted (to vegan friends) the similarities between the cyclist discussions with moronic "we own the road drivers" and vegan discussions with "yum, bacon" meat eaters.

My ethnicity etc is about the polar opposite of what you'd call a minority but being a vegan cyclist does afford me the opportunity to have a tiny taste of what it is like to be one.

Dowee wrote: »
    I'm a 40's, father of two, suburban dweller etc (so don't really think I fit into an "alternative" bracket) but I'm also a vegan and cyclist and I was would agree with this, I get the same stupid "jokes" and abuse about cycling as I do about my diet.

I have in the past also highlighted (to vegan friends) the similarities between the cyclist discussions with moronic "we own the road drivers" and vegan discussions with "yum, bacon" meat eaters.

My ethnicity etc is about the polar opposite of what you'd call a minority but being a vegan cyclist does afford me the opportunity to have a tiny taste of what it is like to be one.

I used slag vegans myself till I put 2 and 2 together. What we eat and drive are choices so you can imagine how hard it is for the minorities who are born minorities

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

I used slag vegans myself till I put 2 and 2 together. What we eat and drive are choices so you can imagine how hard it is for the minorities who are born minorities

Totally agree and also I don't want to in any way imply that I feel my "minority status" compares to difficulties faced by those born as minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭micar

You forgot "snowflake"

Got called that once as by a knob who overtook me and then pulled across in front of me in the bus lane.......as because I value my life.

It's the go to word from most idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

ED E wrote: »
    Holding-wire.jpg

Was this published recently? I can't see on their website, or FB page or Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Was this published recently? I can't see on their website, or FB page or Twitter.

A few (5) years ago: https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/barbed-wire-stretched-neck-height-across-wicklow-cycle-track/

micar wrote: »
    You forgot "snowflake"

Got called that once as by a knob who overtook me and then pulled across in front of me in the bus lane.......as because I value my life.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/may/06/van-morrison-new-record-project-volume-one-review

Excellent review of the new Van Morrison album on the Guardian today. I know that might sound off topic but when you get to Brian the Neighbour you'll see what I'm getting at

• Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Tinfoil milliner is a very decent second mention too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

silverharp wrote: »

It's been done before, by Wanksy

https://twitter.com/Northern_Soul_/status/687721105902157824

I've been tempted to give it a shot.

micar wrote: »
    You forgot "snowflake"

When there's any sort of article about making public spaces more safe/pleasant/liveable for people outside a car "Looney Greens" is usually my cue to tune out and not bother trying to take that person seriously.

Dowee wrote: »

Totally agree and also I don't want to in any way imply that I feel my "minority status" compares to difficulties faced by those born as minorities.

Its an important distinction, and obviously cyclist / vegans would be roundly mocked if they ever tried to compare their position to that of people born as minorities.

Nonetheless, you are bang on - it does afford one an insight into the 'Us & Them' narratives where the majority is 'Us' and 'Them' are the people 'we' need to keep down/ put in their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Duckjob wrote: »
    When there's any sort of article about making public spaces more safe/pleasant/liveable for people outside a car "Looney Greens" is usually my cue to tune out and not bother trying to take that person seriously.

I can't get my head around some of the comments I've seen lately. "Dublin is finished as a city", was one I saw regarding minimum changes to Capel Street.
    Trying to change a traffic/parking choked street is seen as destroying the city to many people, it's just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Its an important distinction, and obviously cyclist / vegans would be roundly mocked if they ever tried to compare their position to that of people born as minorities.

Nonetheless, you are bang on - it does afford one an insight into the 'Us & Them' narratives where the majority is 'Us' and 'Them' are the people 'we' need to keep down/ put in their place.

The one difference I see is you ride the bike for a couple of hours, get home, take off the helmet and lycra and then you can go about your day without dealing with the abuse you're liable to receive while on the bike. Most of the world is your "safe space". For someone born as a minority (and especially so for someone who's easily identifiable as such due to skin colour etc.) you have to always be on guard for receiving knuckle dragger abuse anywhere and at any time.

Aside from that though, I have seen common factors in the narratives that people use against both minorities and cyclists. Crap like "X gives all people who share this characteristic with X a bad name" etc.

I can't get my head around some of the comments I've seen lately. "Dublin is finished as a city", was one I saw regarding minimum changes to Capel Street.
    Trying to change a traffic/parking choked street is seen as destroying the city to many people, it's just bizarre.

Any time I here this from someone its a person who rarely uses the city. They will have one pub that they plop their arse on and never move to another under any circumstances and will maybe have a Centra or two for lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Segment coming up on Claire byrne live about bike theft I suspect lidl and aldis battery powered angle grinders will feature....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Didnt watch it- did the gardai state how important it is to record the bike registration number, and then go on to say "you wouldnt believe how many people reporting a stolen bike dont know the registration number of the bike".

This the bit that really knows me:

"sure what can we do when they dont even know the registration number of the bike".

Complete bogus argument, as they have absolutely no way of tracking a registration number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Stark wrote: »
    Aside from that though, I have seen common factors in the narratives that people use against both minorities and cyclists. Crap like "X gives all people who share this characteristic with X a bad name" etc.

I was interested in the last few years to read about how minorities have to deal with "you're one of the good ones" dialogues. I was only aware of the cyclist version, but the other type is, obviously, more pernicious.

Advertisement