Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Is Euro Velo 1 not a cycling route rather than an event?
    it is, but it might just be clumsily worded in the indo report, suggesting it's an event.
    that said, i'd be 50/50 on whose mistake it is. could well be FF's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,043 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Is Euro Velo 1 not a cycling route rather than an event?

Ya runs the entire length to the European Atlantic coast. Cuts in at a few points too like Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It is a joke that we don't have a proper bike race. I know the Ras has history but it's a bit crap in fairness. Something like Slovenia or Yorkshire must surely be possible

About twenty years ago, Pat McQuaid sought to bring the 2004 Worlds to Killarney. Went looking to Government for about £3 million but Minister for Fun James McDaid blocked any more than £1 million. Net result: Verona got the Worlds

About twenty years ago, Pat McQuaid sought to bring the 2004 Worlds to Killarney. Went looking to Government for about £3 million but Minister for Fun James McDaid blocked any more than £1 million. Net result: Verona got the Worlds

It's a pity the Giro visit didn't lead to a Belfast Dublin Classic. I feel like it happened just a few years too soon and with the increase in leisure cycling and media interest in Bennett we now have it could have been a thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It is a joke that we don't have a proper bike race. I know the Ras has history but it's a bit crap in fairness. Something like Slovenia or Yorkshire must surely be possible

Have you ever been to a Rás? And not just the mens' one? They're super races, really super races, well organised. The last real Rás (Rás na mBan ;)) i was on it was won by a current Olympic champion, the level of rider is much higher cos it's not a UCI race like the mens'.

The highest level of racing that happens in Ireland is the Dublin Track International, it wasn't on last year due to covid but hopefully this year. It's an Olympic qualifier so the elite of the elite are there, and it's free to come down and watch.

There have also been Enduro World series here too.

There's a serious amount of work that goes into organising the road races that happen every weekend from March until September in Ireland (in normal times), never mind an international one day or multi stage race!

I would recommend you check out the racing that happens here (Covid excepting) before writing off Irish racing as a bit crap. There wasn't a single women's road race last year, not one despite races happening every weekend things opened up last summer. It's not fantastic, but it is always open for anyone willing to muck in and help out, develop or improve things. Maybe get in touch with your local club if you're not already a member and get on the organising committee for their race. It's eye opening how much goes into it.

• Advertisement

eeeee wrote: »
    Have you ever been to a Rás? And not just the mens' one? They're super races, really super races, well organised. The last real Rás (Rás na mBan ;)) i was on it was won by a current Olympic champion, the level of rider is much higher cos it's not a UCI race like the mens'.

The highest level of racing that happens in Ireland is the Dublin Track International, it wasn't on last year due to covid but hopefully this year. It's an Olympic qualifier so the elite of the elite are there, and it's free to come down and watch.

There have also been Enduro World series here too.

There's a serious amount of work that goes into organising the road races that happen every weekend from March until September in Ireland (in normal times), never mind an international one day or multi stage race!

I would recommend you check out the racing that happens here (Covid excepting) before writing off Irish racing as a bit crap. There wasn't a single women's road race last year, not one despite races happening every weekend things opened up last summer. It's not fantastic, but it is always open for anyone willing to muck in and help out, develop or improve things. Maybe get in touch with your local club if you're not already a member and get on the organising committee for their race. It's eye opening how much goes into it.

I never wrote Irish racing crap so calm down. Don't come at me with your I'm a grassroots cyclist so better than you crap. I have no problem with the races and hard work that goes into cycling across this country but it's a closed loop like all local sport. No kid on the street is saying wow I want to be a cyclist because of the Dublin Track International they want to see pros from the TV in a big race. The Ras doesn't cut it at that level and something with a peleton at least at the level of Tour de Yorkshire is what should be aimed for

• Registered Users Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The only reason people would watch the Wild Atlantic Way on a cycle race, is because it is a grand tour event like TdF.

Its not an either/or to be funded. No international audience would see the Rás, so the conversation is obviously Le Tour or bust.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The only reason people would watch the Wild Atlantic Way on a cycle race, is because it is a grand tour event like TdF.

Its not an either/or to be funded. No international audience would see the Rás, so the conversation is obviously Le Tour or bust.

TdF with a legacy race ready to go afterwards like Yorkshire or London Surrey. Strade Bianci was sort of a legacy race too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If it were possible to organise a tour along the WAW and invite the teams, etc. it would make for a great race (2,700km with 22,000m)
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/59495125 (route taken from here)

But I know, it won't happen! :(

If it were possible to organise a tour along the WAW and invite the teams, etc. it would make for a great race (2,700km with 22,000m)
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/59495125 (route taken from here)

But I know, it won't happen! :(

It cost a lot of money and ar$e licking to make happen. Could always draw up a plan and route then throw it at the Vuelta if things don't work out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just be warned that if a really long race starts and you're busting for a pee, you may get trapped.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I never wrote Irish racing crap so calm down. Don't come at me with your I'm a grassroots cyclist so better than you crap. I have no problem with the races and hard work that goes into cycling across this country but it's a closed loop like all local sport. No kid on the street is saying wow I want to be a cyclist because of the Dublin Track International they want to see pros from the TV in a big race. The Ras doesn't cut it at that level and something with a peleton at least at the level of Tour de Yorkshire is what should be aimed for

And I never said you did say Irish racing was crap, I pointed out that there is racing here that people can watch.

Also Grand Tour riders regularly ride in the Dublin Track International, Roger Kluge, Jasper de Boyst, Kirsten Wild, Eleanor Barker, Jason Kenny, Calum Skinner, Laura Trot and loads more I can't think of right now off the top of my head! These are world, European and Olympic level riders, they're on TV, the best of the best and they're in Dublin every year! I think people just don't know it's on or that it's WT equivalent, they just see the Rásanna and think that's it. Although Rás na mBan fields a much higher quality field than the mens' Rás.

The level of governmental support required for a WT road race in Ireland sadly isn't there, but world class cycling does happen here in other disciplines, with much cross over (see the aforementioned Dublin Track International and the Enduro World Cup).

just be warned that if a really long race starts and you're busting for a pee, you may get trapped.

There are portaloos in the infield for the Dublin Track International by the coffee truck thingy, you must have missed them. They're not very glamorous! You must have gotten stuck during the points race!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The Ras doesn't cut it at that level and something with a peleton at least at the level of Tour de Yorkshire is what should be aimed for

Other than starting a race from Scratch, surely using the Ras is the smart way to go. Find out from government where they need promoted, pay for proper TV coverage, sell it to GCN on the cheap. The tour of Britain was were the Ras was years ago and in the last few years copped on to the marketing side of things, I think the Ras could easily fill this need by government investment and a radical change in marketing etc. Talk to the likes of other big 2.1 races aim to get onto the Europe Protour circuit.

And I never said you did say Irish racing was crap, I pointed out that there is racing here that people can watch.

Also Grand Tour riders regularly ride in the Dublin Track International, Roger Kluge, Jasper de Boyst, Kirsten Wild, Eleanor Barker, Jason Kenny, Calum Skinner, Laura Trot and loads more I can't think of right now off the top of my head! These are world, European and Olympic level riders, they're on TV, the best of the best and they're in Dublin every year! I think people just don't know it's on or that it's WT equivalent, they just see the Rásanna and think that's it. Although Rás na mBan fields a much higher quality field than the mens' Rás.

People don't want WT equivalent they want WT. Track is pretty niche even among cycling fans in most parts of the world. I've been going to Tour of Yorkshire, Britan, London Surrey and London 6 pretty regularly over the last number of years and it would be a very very small group that would have the 6 day top of the list for favorite event it's just not the same.
    Irish cycling fans are for the most part RR fans and Irish cycling will be deemed to be underachieving if we don't have a decent road race with some teams the average person has heard of.
    That takes nothing away from the good things people do at lower levels

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

That takes nothing away from the good things people do at lower levels

You say that now, but you opened with "it's a bit crap in fairness".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I for one can't wait for 'Team RTE' to be a household name like Team Sky.
    I'd even pay a TV licence fee for that!

bollocks to that. i want newstalk to sponsor them, so pat kenny will be contractually obliged to say nice things about cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    His contract was just renewed at NewsTalk. I look forward to more of his medical expertise on cyclists and disease-carrying air-plumes, and the use of urban trains as vectors for cycling criminals.

Funnily enough, I see a disparaging callback to the "cyclist plumes" theory this morning:
    https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/1395333649717944321

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Fair bit of detail in this on the UK press guidelines for reporting on road collisions and incidents:
    https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/road-collision-reporting-guidelines-finalised/

I guess this is the very short version:
    Ten road collision reporting guidelines for journalists:
    1. Be accurate and make sure what is known and what is not known about an incident
    2. Avoid using the word “accident” until the facts are known, especially when a driver has been charged
    3. Refer to drivers, not their vehicles
    4. Consider the impact on the bereaved before publishing details of injuries in particular
    5. Be wary of publishing photos or footage that show number plates or could identify a victim to their relatives. Also be wary of using user-generated footage that could have been taken from behind the wheel
    6. When reporting on traffic delays, be mindful not to undermine any loss of life or serious injury
    7. Consider whether any language used negatively generalises a person or their behaviour as part of a “group”, such as cyclists. Language insinuating a “war” or “battle” can inflame tensions between road users
    8. Coverage of perceived risks on the roads should be based in fact and in context, bearing in mind that larger, faster vehicles have more potential to cause harm than those on foot, bike or horseback
    9. Avoid portraying law-breaking or highway code contravention as acceptable, or perpetrators as victims – for example speeding drivers being “targeted” by speed cameras
    10. Speak to road safety professionals (list of contacts in full guidelines below) for context, expertise and broader advice

ngunners wrote: »

Push a lady on the DART and its national cry for blood and a demand for a complete change to society.

In a car though ah well sad accident

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Hurrache wrote: »
    He's the embodiement of Victor Meldew, but without the humour. I heard a small bit of him this morning and I was thinking that he looks for, and runs with, the downside and whinginess in every single topic he discusses.

It was on homeworking at the time and he looked for the downside in it and said he thinks it's going the Ryanair route of employment in that you supply all your own equipment, use your own broadband (as if it's bloody metred) and your employer saves all the money.

Loath as I am to say it, he has a point on that topic. It's a landgrab, with employers taking space in people's homes for their own purposes, saving substantial commercial rental costs, and keeping all the savings to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I grabbed a outdoor beer in Dalkey with a friend for his birthday at the weekend.

Kenny was doing laps in his car just to look appalled at people enjoying themselves.

If NT are doubling down by keeping him on a couple of extra years, they are certainly falling further away from Radio 1. His day is long past.

You might disagree with him on some topics, he's still miles ahead as the premier broadcaster on the radio in the country.

Loath as I am to say it, he has a point on that topic. It's a landgrab, with employers taking space in people's homes for their own purposes, saving substantial commercial rental costs, and keeping all the savings to themselves.

Ah we've missed your "logic" in the WFH thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah we've missed your "logic" in the WFH thread.

No logic - just the facts. Employers are now using space in employee homes for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Please.

Not here.

Please.

Not here.
    i'll raise your please and make that a don't - mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement