Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lassykk's Music Walrus

Options
  • 11-05-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Giving a walrus a go as I've enjoyed the ones that have been run so far and hoping it will be a bit of craic during lockdown

To give an idea of my normal listening my top songs on Spotify would include Pearl Jam, Stone Sour and lately Tonic. But I also enjoy Taylor Swift, Pink, Wet Wet Wet etc so I'm not locked into just one type of music!

I have expanded my music collection hugely since Spotify came along but I would have a few genres I don't like such as rap, grime or R&B.

I have gone with 5 categories that I know may overlap with other Walrus' (I haven't read them bar the most recent ones) but hopefully that doesn't put anyone off given the steer above on my taste in music.

One Hit Wonder - Some of my favourite songs are one hit wonders and I'm always open to listen to some new ones or just some of the classics!

Power Ballad - I love a bit of cheese and you can't beat a good power ballad when you are in a certain mood

Instrumental / Classic - Whenever I hear classical music I always like it but I'm very uneducated when it comes to it. To open this up a bit more in case not everyone has a suggestion here I will allow instrumental songs as well where there are no words so this would in theory open up some dance tracks, etc.

Acoustic Cover of a Rock Song (can be by the original artist) - I have a soft spot for rock songs that have acoustic covers done and a lot of my Spotify playlists are full of them. It doesn't need to have been released so a live version from a concert is all good too.

90s / 00s / 10s Rock / Punk Rock Song - This is my main genre and I'd love to hear what boardies suggest in this category.

Just a couple of things to note

- If there's a specific version of a song you want me to listen to you might include the YouTube link - if not I can find the links myself

- Entries can be sent to me via PM

- No current deadline for entries but will leave open until a critical mass have hopefully entered.

Looking forward to seeing everyones entries :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Will have an entry in to you by the end of the day hopefully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Entered. Love the categories :)

When you say Acoustic Cover does that exclude acoustic versions the original artists did on their own songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Oh absolutely not - not my intention to exclude the original artist - sometimes that's the version from the original artist I prefer!

lassykk wrote: »
    Oh absolutely not - not my intention to exclude the original artist - sometimes that's the version from the original artist I prefer!

Cool. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

In.

This is the toughest Walrus yet, because all the categories really really suit me, and I'm struggling to pick just one song for each category...

I've my Power Ballad chosen, the One Hit Wonder and Acoustic I've narrowed it down to 2 for each of those, I've whittled it down to 3 for the Instrumental, and I'm torn between 6 for the 90s/00s/10s Rock Song...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is the toughest Walrus yet, because all the categories really really suit me, and I'm struggling to pick just one song for each category...

I've my Power Ballad chosen, the One Hit Wonder and Acoustic I've narrowed it down to 2 for each of those, I've whittled it down to 3 for the Instrumental, and I'm torn between 6 for the 90s/00s/10s Rock Song...

It's a pretty wide category, taking me the longest for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

For me it was the acoustic one that was the toughest, there are some excellent acoustic versions by the original artist and then there are some covers that are brilliant too.

In the end I just went with one I found about 3 months ago and really really liked. Ironically I found it after an entry in my own Walrus sent me on a deep dive of the original artist :)

ShaneU wrote: »

I had well over 30 songs on my initial shortlist for that category this afternoon. Managed to get it down to 6 and now I'm back up to 7... :rolleyes:

I have decided on my One Hit Wonder and Acoustic song now, as well as the Power Ballad, so its just the Instrumental and Rock Song left. Nearly there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

ShaneU wrote: »
    I had to rack my brains for that, I had one picked out before I noticed it had to be 90s onward. I know sweet fanny adams about punk after the early 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I had to rack my brains for that, I had one picked out before I noticed it had to be 90s onward. I know sweet fanny adams about punk after the early 80s.

Doesn't need to be punk rock

edit: 10000!

Songs PM'd

Loving the entries received so far folks.

One of my all time favourite songs has been picked by someone already so that's a shiny gold star for them

Lots of songs as well that I've not listened to before as well which is great.

Going to wait until I have all entries in before listening to each category

Up to 5 entries now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I just sent my selections.

The one that gave me the more thought was the acoustic cover of a rock song - and in the process I reminded myself of some absolute gems.

Thank you for organising lassykk!!

Up to 6 entries now so it's ticking along nicely

I know I said in another thread I'd limit entries to 10 but I might stretch a bit beyond that given the quality of entries so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Yeah i picked a song from a band i never heard of until yesterday, i have listened to a few of their songs now and they are pretty decent but i'd be surprised if anyone has heard of them

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I've sent in my picks, it's been a few weeks since I last entered anything :o

I found the Punk/Rock category fairly tricky, as in recent years I've moved more into niche metal genres and any artist I chose was metal so stuck with a classic and a favourite of mine that is definitely classified as rock.

Up to ten entries now :)

Really looking forward to listening to these especially the instrumental one as I only know one of the ten songs by their title.

Power Ballads is going to be hard to judge as some absolute crackers have been chosen

On the one hit wonders I'd have a top 3 in my mind but that's only off the songs I know - I'd be very surprised if the number one slot changed here as it's one of my favourite ever songs

Acoustic has thrown up some interesting choices - The only band/singer represented twice so far is in here and I don't like them ;)

The last category, being so open, has thrown up some very different songs, again many I don't know by title so I'm looking forward to listening to them all.

Keep the entries coming :)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i will be in as soon as I compile my list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It that it then or is here still time? :D

Have half a list done but time is not my friends right now.

fixXxer wrote: »
    It that it then or is here still time? :D

Have half a list done but time is not my friends right now.

No still loads of time.

Will probably cut off somewhere between 15 - 20 entries depending on how much interest there still is

Will keep it open until the end of this week (Sunday) at a minimum

I’m down to the final 2 catergories. I’ll make it my priority tonight.

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I haven't took part in a walrus before but I'll give it a go. Is it just one song for each category?

Rothko wrote: »
    I haven't took part in a walrus before but I'll give it a go. Is it just one song for each category?

Yeah one song per category, then PM your choices on to lassykk where he will go on to harshly critique and rank them against everyone else's choices, earning people points to determine a winner.

Its a brutal and unforgiving game, but you'll love it... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

ENTRY IN KLAXON

13 in now.

Will close this Sunday at 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

my entry on the way....

Sent..
    Great idea too, Well done Lassy

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Just sent mine in. Very difficult to narrow the songs down.

Advertisement