Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower - Garage

Options
  • 11-05-2020 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I was looking to get an electric shower in the garage, mainly to wash off the dogs before they get back in to the house. The Spark installed what looks like a 16mm cable from the house to the garage feeding some lights and 2 sockets. I have no idea what breaker its coming from in house as nothing is labelled...

Problem is at the moment its difficult to get an Electrician to come and check to see if its suitable/possible, I'd like to get the pipework ran and showertray framed out as soon as

I have no other eletric shower in the hosue - all showers are mains pumped.. Is this something that feasible??

2020-05-11-10-56-39-Photo-Google-Photos.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

You'd need someone to confirm the suitability of supply cable

Do you have a better picture of the board, doesn't look great the bit u can see there,blanks missing.no sign of an RCD/Rcbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Nope - no RCBO/breaker in that board at all, just the 2 breakers, 10A &20A I would agree it does look very sloppy tbh, hence why I would like to get it checked before going any further :eek:

Nope - no RCBO/breaker in that board at all, just the 2 breakers, 10A &20A I would agree it does look very sloppy tbh, hence why I would like to get it checked before going any further :eek:

It may be fed from an RCD at the house which isn't ideal either

If u can measure accurately the diameter of the black supply cable you might be able to confirm its size, don't think it's marked on the cable

Taking the cover off the board isn't allowed

using a half inch copper pipe as a guide, it looks slightly bigger , half inch being 15mm approx :)

• Advertisement

using a half inch copper pipe as a guide, it looks slightly bigger , half inch being 15mm approx :)

It's not 16sq so, off the off the top of my head

Maybe a 3* 6sq swa?

could be - luckily enough I managed to get hold of a spark, he is calling this evening to have a look, at a social distance :)

Loozer wrote: »
    It's not 16sq so, off the off the top of my head

Maybe a 3* 6sq swa?

Spark called out, as you thought cable is too small as a SWA, around 4mmsq. He will look to run a new cable from the board, properly protected and tidy up the garage consumer unit (The main board is close and we have a decent route) :)

Spark called out, as you thought cable is too small as a SWA, around 4mmsq. He will look to run a new cable from the board, properly protected and tidy up the garage consumer unit (The main board is close and we have a decent route) :)

Ya thought it could be a 4 alright, no overkill there

No isolation for board/garage

Blanks missing

No independent RCD at garage

Advertisement