Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will any sportives go ahead in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I know we are special in so many ways but I am at a loss to see why we don't need any cycle-specific guidance or advice as the current restrictions are eased over the next few months. Group cycling will not be canned and, as I pointed out above, will be permitted from Monday next for groups of up to four cyclists. Is every club going to make its own recommendations on how this should work when members head out together on training spins or are they going to ban or discourage it?

You seem to have a major problem with members contacting CI about the relaxation of the restrictions. As one who did this, and posted about it here, I was heartened to find the following in CI's most recent communication: "The phased easing of travel restrictions for exercise, which is set at 5-kilometers until June 8th at the earliest, is a welcome development for leisure and racing cyclists, albeit the limitation will continue to curtail training and leisure cycling to a large extent." This precisely what I was looking for (nonsense or not) and I look forward to availing of this easing of travel restrictions in the Phoenix Park tomorrow morning.

We are probably way OT on a thread about sportives so I'll leave it there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

TGD wrote: »
    As if ‘Government’ has people employed to know the minute details of every sport and discipline, and to individually advise every sporting organization in the country how they should run every type of event, or not. Government has other things to be doing. Cycling Ireland should step up to the plate and provide leadership within the broader Government guidelines, and not be passing the decision-buck to ‘Government’.

Well then expect a lot more time, because cycling can not be done within the normal social distancing rules, it just can't.

That means group cycling can't happen. No races, no club spins, no sportives. No going going out with mates.

They have one chance to really get this right. People have already been at them with nonsense requests that to me didn't d deserve attention.

This doesn't require any guidance whatsoever. Any one who has any bit of cop on, any semblance of intelligence should know, that cycling events as we know them, can not happen. They just can't. A bit of personal responsibility is not that hard.

Time trials, Audax, and any sort of solo cycle are really, the only thing that can happen because evidence suggests that a lot more than 2 metres would be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,867 ✭✭✭billyhead

Cycling in even pairs won't work. It's would be too hard to maintain a 2 meter gap at all times.

I know we are special in so many ways but I am at a loss to see why we don't need any cycle-specific guidance or advice as the current restrictions are eased over the next few months. Group cycling will not be canned and, as I pointed out above, will be permitted from Monday next for groups of up to four cyclists. Is every club going to make its own recommendations on how this should work when members head out together on training spins or are they going to ban or discourage it?

You seem to have a major problem with members contacting CI about the relaxation of the restrictions. As one who did this, and posted about it here, I was heartened to find the following in CI's most recent communication: "The phased easing of travel restrictions for exercise, which is set at 5-kilometers until June 8th at the earliest, is a welcome development for leisure and racing cyclists, albeit the limitation will continue to curtail training and leisure cycling to a large extent." This precisely what I was looking for (nonsense or not) and I look forward to availing of this easing of travel restrictions in the Phoenix Park tomorrow morning.

We are probably way OT on a thread about sportives so I'll leave it there.

I've a problem with people specifically asking for them to be lobbying for easing of restrictions as a few selfish eejits did.

I and everyone else can't see my loved ones, so I personally couldn't give a sh#!t if people can't go out for their longer cycles or have their group spins.

I genuinely just can't stand that people can not seem to grasp the idea of personal responsibility in all this though If we need officialdom to clarify everything beyond the facts as they are presented, then we are absolutely doomed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

neither cycling ireland, nor the government, nor the WHO know what is a safe distance to cycle behind another cyclist, simply because no-one knows how transmissible this is in that context. scientists are still trying to get to grips with how transmissible it is between people sharing an indoor airspace, let alone exercising outdoors in the slipstream of someone who is potentially contagious.

if CI issued guidelines, the guidelines would be drawn up in complete ignorance of how effective or ineffective they might be. but drawing them up would imply they're based on some sort of known reality; so it's possible that instead of admiring other sporting bodies for drawing up guidelines, we should actually be suspicious of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I can't see how group spins, racing or sportives can go ahead with physical distancing. Even ITT's - physically distanced on the road, but what about the start and end?

They'd be better coming out saying only solo spins while social distancing is a thing. Tbh my take is that CI are running from making the obvious and necessary call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Whatever about Sportives, and I agree it will probably be next year before they resume, in 5 days time cycling in groups of up to four people will be permitted provided social distancing can be maintained.

So let’s thrash that out. Myself and one friend decide to go for a spin. How do social distance exactly?

It won’t work for two people never mind 4 people. Club spins and sportive shouldn’t happen until a vaccine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i am *very* wary of such videos. they're usually made by people applying their single talent to a multi-faceted issue.
    the tweeter has mentioned 'safe' distance, but they're first of all making the assumption that 1.5m is safe; and the model just shows that at 4m, movement, airflow and fluid dynamics says that still applies for walkers. in an atmosphere with no wind. it says nothing about time spent in that airspace, wind carrying the theoretical particles away from you or towards you...

like i said about producing guidelines, it's claming an outcome to a degree of accuracy greater than the inputs they're using.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I can't see how group spins, racing or sportives can go ahead with physical distancing. Even ITT's - physically distanced on the road, but what about the start and end?

They'd be better coming out saying only solo spins while social distancing is a thing. Tbh my take is that CI are running from making the obvious and necessary call.

On TTs I think they can be done. Just no holding at the start. Timekeepers can be in cars some distance away. They only need to be able to count down loud enough to be heard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Beasty wrote: »
    On TTs I think they can be done. Just no holding at the start. Timekeepers can be in cars some distance away. They only need to be able to count down loud enough to be heard

I don't see how sign on, bathroom facilities, finish etc. can be managed with social distancing, even at an ITT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When I have my arms outstretched, it's 1.90 metres from fingertip to fingertip.
    When cycling in a group, or with one person, the cyclist beside me is never that far from me. Normally, on my Sunday spins, I'd only be about 50 cms. away from the cyclist beside me and it would pass unnoticed, if two people touched elbows.
    I dont think, it's possible for a group of four cyclists to ride 2 X 2 for any length of time on Irish roads and maintain a distance of 2 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I suspect in the next phase, cycling in pairs (two abreast) will be allowed. Even if it’s not, being able to cycle within a 20k limit and stop for a take away coffee is something I’m looking forward to doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TGD wrote: »
    As if ‘Government’ has people employed to know the minute details of every sport and discipline, and to individually advise every sporting organization in the country how they should run every type of event, or not. Government has other things to be doing. Cycling Ireland should step up to the plate and provide leadership within the broader Government guidelines, and not be passing the decision-buck to ‘Government’.

What if CI came out and said their recommendations are too do nothing. They are actively saying that they won't be promoting or supporting events until October at the earliest. They will cover insurance for riders who are on solo spins within government distance limits or commuting and thats it.

People would go ballistic but you know what, it would be the right thing to do.

Follow the guidelines but as far as CI is concerned, anything short of saying nothing until September, and even then, don't f***ing pre plan anything is grossly negligent.

CI are doing their best not to give hope to people who shouldn't get it, because it would be false. Maybe they are giving to much credit to some people in thinking that government guidelines are simple enough to follow and where they are not specific, that common sense will take over.

Imagine I am from CI, imagine this is what they email you

"Dear Cycling Ireland,

There will be no events outside of online ones and maybe strava segment challenges or Audax Permanents until September, and in September we will review it but don't plan anything as we might say, you know what, lets wait. So calm down and wait. It is not the most important thing in the world right now.

Regards"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

So let’s thrash that out. Myself and one friend decide to go for a spin. How do social distance exactly?

It won’t work for two people never mind 4 people. Club spins and sportive shouldn’t happen until a vaccine!

Not arguing just making a point, SARS appeared 18 years ago, and there is still no vaccine, but sure why people are insistent that there will be a vaccine for covid 19 this year or next, I myself don’t see this happening, we need to look at ways in how we can move on with our lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I suspect in the next phase, cycling in pairs (two abreast) will be allowed. Even if it’s not, being able to cycle within a 20k limit and stop for a take away coffee is something I’m looking forward to doing.

Agreed, although I do look forward to the day where we can cycle comfortably in groups of 2/3, as much as I cycle for exercise it’s also a hugely social part of my life, getting away from the kids for a few hours to meet some mates on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Not arguing just making a point, SARS appeared 18 years ago, and there is still no vaccine, but sure why people are insistent that there will be a vaccine for covid 19 this year or next, I myself don’t see this happening, we need to look at ways in how we can move on with our lives!

We need to look at ways we can move on with our lives but the numbers are nowhere close to allowing cycling 2 abreast (or groups) right now.

Some sports just aren’t viable at this time no matter how much people want them to be. Sure look at the farce that is football at the moment. Football seasons in the uk should have been voided weeks ago. Instead players and their families will now be put at risk for the moral of the nation. Bollox.

Cycling is fine solo which thankfully we can all do safely.

As for a vaccine I reckon there’s more of a chance with it than SARS considering the money and government support that it’s getting to find it.

And if not that a viable treatment would be the next best thing. Getting it right now is no joke.

CramCycle wrote: »
    What if CI came out and said their recommendations are too do nothing. They are actively saying that they won't be promoting or supporting events until October at the earliest. They will cover insurance for riders who are on solo spins within government distance limits or commuting and thats it.

People would go ballistic but you know what, it would be the right thing to do.

Follow the guidelines but as far as CI is concerned, anything short of saying nothing until September, and even then, don't f***ing pre plan anything is grossly negligent.

CI are doing their best not to give hope to people who shouldn't get it, because it would be false. Maybe they are giving to much credit to some people in thinking that government guidelines are simple enough to follow and where they are not specific, that common sense will take over.

Imagine I am from CI, imagine this is what they email you

"Dear Cycling Ireland,

There will be no events outside of online ones and maybe strava segment challenges or Audax Permanents until September, and in September we will review it but don't plan anything as we might say, you know what, lets wait. So calm down and wait. It is not the most important thing in the world right now.

Regards"
    That's what I feel they are putting off. I fear we'll get some bs about groups if you can maintain 2m. Which I don't see how you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

completely OT but sars vaccine wasnt developed because it was contained and there wasnt enough money in it to continue developing a vaccine, covid is a different ball game completely.

and i dont see how you can social distance and cycle in a group

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

What's the point in CI releasing a road map? People keep going on and on about "Phase 5" and the "10th of August" as if they're some magical date. The reality is this whole thing could kick off again (not that it's gone away but it certainly seems to be heading in the right direction). In that case, those dates and "Phase 5" get pushed out. The dates are completely arbitrary. They're just a placeholder.

If CI release anything now that isn't a direct copy and paste from the Governments own advice, they're not only creating a stick to beat themselves with but, if this place is anything to go by, you'll have a load of people finding loopholes where they don't technically exist. The guidance might mention something about organised events and lads here would argue that their event isn't organised, it's completely impromptu and therefore complies with the guidance issued by the governing body of the sport.

The only thing I currently want from CI is an extension of the current 12 round Zwift race series. Unfortunately I think that's about the extent of organised events for the year.

Now, I hope I'm wrong and we can find some way of dealing with / treating / immunising against the virus which would allow us to return to a certain degree of normality.

• Advertisement

Sorted :)

SgqL0eZ.jpg

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I fear we'll get some bs about groups if you can maintain 2m. Which I don't see how you can.
    And there we have it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Eamonnator wrote: »
    When I have my arms outstretched, it's 1.90 metres from fingertip to fingertip.
    When cycling in a group, or with one person, the cyclist beside me is never that far from me. Normally, on my Sunday spins, I'd only be about 50 cms. away from the cyclist beside me and it would pass unnoticed, if two people touched elbows.
    I dont think, it's possible for a group of four cyclists to ride 2 X 2 for any length of time on Irish roads and maintain a distance of 2 metres.

And there we have it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Masks have been advised where social distancing isn't possible but wearing one on a spin isn't something I'd be keen on.

My own opinion is that I'll cycle with 1 lad but no more for a short session, max 2hrs.

dahat wrote: »
    My own opinion is that I'll cycle with 1 lad but no more for a short session, max 2hrs.

And how would you propose to deal with the social distancing requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I can’t see why anyone would even bother meeting people for a spin and trying to maintain a distance- it would be a total PITA. I’d rather do my own thing and meet em for a socially distant chat afterwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

And how would you propose to deal with the social distancing requirement?

Work with the requirement as best as I can on that situation. If I find it unworkable then a mask and/or back to solo spins will be the next step.

Overtakes are going to be fun if people stick to the measures.

• Advertisement

Despite the fuzzy advice from CI, my club is recommending to members that they continue to ride solo within the 5km circle.

Advertisement