Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will any sportives go ahead in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I see Blarney have pulled the three events they were meant to be running. Also three events in the north were also pulled yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

getting stick locally.
    I think this could be an issue. I had a comments from someone yesterday about them seeing "cyclists" not socially distancing yesterday. It was a club race. And we were both there to collect our children from not socially distanced football training... Hadn't occurred to them that sports being back meant cycling too. Or perhaps that cycling was a sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Some news on the Mike Murphy Memorial sportif planned for 29 August and starting in Caherciveen:
    https://www.facebook.com/1563601707293263/posts/2740806999572722?sfns=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Thanks for the mention Mercian Pro. We a are trying to gauge interest to see if the effort will be worthwhile. We feel it can be done safely but its gonna be a lot of work.

The Wicklow Mountain Cycling Challenge are advertising a 100 and a 50km charity sportif on 3 October. Can't see what the small print says about a refund of the €50 if it ends up being cancelled. Details at https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=864942083995487&id=202930010196701

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nicolas Roche is seemingly doing his cycle again this year and bringing his dad and Sean Kelly along .

Saw something about it on twitter

Weepsie wrote: »
    Nicolas Roche is seemingly doing his cycle again this year and bringing his dad and Sean Kelly along .

Saw something about it on twitter

https://www.theprojectnr.com/

Sunday 4th October with full refund if cancelled. 65km and 105km routes.

I emailed the Great Dublin Bike Ride about this year's event.
    Looks like it was be "virtual", rather than an actual sportif.

Rather surprised to see the East Meath Tour listed on the CI calander for the 9th of August but, like quite a few others, it's also a virtual event https://eventmaster.ie/event/LLbSp3H76

The Reservoir Dog and the Great Dublin Bike Ride are still listed as are a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Res Dog was cancelled a good few weeks back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

koutoubia wrote: »
    Res Dog was cancelled a good few weeks back!
    I think the point MP was making is that it and others are still listed by CI despite being cancelled by the organisers..

Anyone know if the Wicklow Mountains Challenge is going ahead on 3 October. They are still pushing it on Facebook but there is no mention that I can find of their refund policy. Eventmaster are managing the booking so maybe their standard conditions apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Just got the official cancellation...

*sighs*

10th time around will have to wait for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32904322

Spin for all the Blaa heads who are mad for road after the lockdown.

Just shy of a 300, the only way to get that is to make route even more climby in Knockmealdowns.

Haven't the legs or head for it now but maybe come August.

Slight digression into Cork near Araglin and the Gaza strip that is the Old Bridge in Clonmel

From what I hear 6 or 7 hardy lads having a go of this tomorrow.

All the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

From what I hear 6 or 7 hardy lads having a go of this tomorrow.

All the best!
    Looks like they got around in 10h29.

Lap the Lough cancelled for this year. 2 remaining events on my calendar - Grass Routes Gran Fondo and the Lakelander. Took the refund from the Dirty Reiver as well, as hard to see things improved that much by next April (particularly in the UK) for me to be prepared to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Marmotte is going ahead in September if anyone fancies rolling the dice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Wicklow Mountains Challenge going ahead apparently - October 3rd.

Not the hardest 100K you'll do in the hills but a decent setup at Russborough House for the start/finish, similar to the Dog. Hopefully not abandoned for this year's event.

Just got an email to say that the Great Dublin Bike Ride is going ahead on September 27th as a virtual event.
    Anyone know if any of the virtual sportive have actually succeeded in raising much money for the charities involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just got an email to say that the Great Dublin Bike Ride is going ahead on September 27th as a virtual event.

seriously whats the point, i cant think of anything more soul destroying (i do turbo sessions in the winter but i hate them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

seriously whats the point, i cant think of anything more soul destroying (i do turbo sessions in the winter but i hate them).

You don't have to do it on your turbo.
    You sign up and cycle the stipulated distance on a route chosen by you on the date or do it on the turbo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

fat bloke wrote: »
    Marmotte is going ahead in September if anyone fancies rolling the dice!

You'd need to take 2 weeks off to isolate after though at oresent

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Wicklow Mountains Challenge going ahead apparently - October 3rd.

Not the hardest 100K you'll do in the hills but a decent setup at Russborough House for the start/finish, similar to the Dog. Hopefully not abandoned for this year's event.
    They'd need to lift the 200 limit for outdoors realistically for any to go ahead? I'd say this is what did for Lap the Lough anyway, even with it being set off in groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They'd need to lift the 200 limit for outdoors realistically for any to go ahead? I'd say this is what did for Lap the Lough anyway, even with it being set off in groups.

Setting off in groups isn't an issue and can be managed but what can't be accounted for is the finish. People hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd need to take 2 weeks off to isolate after though at oresent

Perfect! You'd need two weeks to recover from it anyway! :D

Quite surprised to see that they are allowing registration on the day (at €65!). Hard to see how they can keep control of the numbers doing this.

Quite surprised to see that they are allowing registration on the day (at €65!). Hard to see how they can keep control of the numbers doing this.
    Is it a CI sanctioned event? That's very surprising, given you have to control numbers on a club spin and (effectively) pre-register.

Is it a CI sanctioned event? That's very surprising, given you have to control numbers on a club spin and (effectively) pre-register.

They are quoting a reduced €50 rate for CI members and it's on the CI Calendar so I presume it's sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The tour of beara (rebel tour) has been cancelled for this year, :(.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

In fairness with the way the numbers are going and latest restrictions I think its the right thing to do. I can't see any happening this year.

The tour of beara (rebel tour) has been cancelled for this year, :(.

Advertisement