Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will any sportives go ahead in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

The tour of beara (rebel tour) has been cancelled for this year, :(.

Seen that, offering refunds too but the more I read into it, sounds like a complete cowboy job of which they never intended to go ahead with this year.

Cancelled hotel too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hard to say that about any event thats being cancelled right now. Gov have made it impossible.
    Despite race organisers showing and proving they can run safe events with no cases and doing everything that was asked the response is to limit sporting events outside to a max of 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Hard to say that about any event thats being cancelled right now. Gov have made it impossible.
    Despite race organisers showing and proving they can run safe events with no cases and doing everything that was asked the response is to limit sporting events outside to a max of 15.

I could be wrong but the limit is 15 for training, not sure anyone will run events but as far as I can read they are not restricted, just no spectators or anyone who isn't actively necessary in the running of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could be wrong but the limit is 15 for training, not sure anyone will run events but as far as I can read they are not restricted, just no spectators or anyone who isn't actively necessary in the running of the event.

Not quite sure how you can limit spectators for an open race on open roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can't, you would rely on good will. Encourage anyone, from cycling, d1ckish enough who comes along to move on from the finish line etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It isn't like there is many at a normal open race anyway. You'll get a few at the line but that's it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

From the government website:

"sports events and matches are to revert to behind-closed-doors with no spectators allowed. There should also be strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after games or fixtures"

So they can continue but no spectators.

From here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6899e-new-public-health-measures-announced-until-13-september/

I hope organisers of cycling events remain calm & work with communities in order to keep events going.

Hopefully CI issue guidance tomorrow that will ease concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

eeeee wrote: »

"sports events and matches are to revert to behind-closed-doors with no spectators allowed. There should also be strict avoidance of social gatherings before and after games or fixtures"

From here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/6899e-new-public-health-measures-announced-until-13-september/

This is exactly what I've seen done anyway at races (I don't count people watching passing cyclists from their gardens as spectators)

Sort of like it too... in->race->out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Seen that, offering refunds too

Have they offered refunds? The Facebook page just mentions that all participants will be automatically registered for next year's event. Odd too that they are encouraging people to show up and ride the route on the day even though it's been cancelled.

I presume there will be quite a few more sportives cancelled following yesterday's announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It maybe a stretch that sportives fall into the same category as races? I guess it'll come down to the advice issued.

I've two left on my calendar, outside of the current window, but the message was fairly clear to limit social interactions, so really not sure whether I'll go ahead even if the events do.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Have they offered refunds? The Facebook page just mentions that all participants will be automatically registered for next year's event. Odd too that they are encouraging people to show up and ride the route on the day even though it's been cancelled. .

Yep took a while but they updated their website but refunds wont be issued till October. The encouraging people to still cycle on the day I thought was very odd. Seemed like their still expecting people to cycle it.

https://tourdebeara.ie/event-cancelled/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

eeeee wrote: »

That was certainly my initial understanding, but this quote is pertinent:

"limits of 15 apply to groups outside including training sessions (with exception of elite/professional sports and horseracing). There should be no mixing between groups"

That suggests the only exceptions are elite/professional sports (which I would have classified as a professional sport anyway)

I think we are still awaiting direction from CI, but I had initially though the Sundrive track league could continue but I'm not sure now (as we are neither "Elite" nor "Professional")

The answer could be prize money:pac:

In fairness to CI, I'd expect they're awaiting guidance via Sport Ireland. But I took that Elite/ Professional Sport too. The rest of sport buried under the GAA expecting special treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Beasty wrote: »
    That was certainly my initial understanding, but this quote is pertinent:

"limits of 15 apply to groups outside including training sessions (with exception of elite/professional sports and horseracing). There should be no mixing between groups"

That suggests the only exceptions are elite/professional sports (which I would have classified as a professional sport anyway)

I think we are still awaiting direction from CI, but I had initially though the Sundrive track league could continue but I'm not sure now (as we are neither "Elite" nor "Professional")

The answer could be prize money:pac:

You need a minimum of 30 for a gaa match to happen. The GAA will ensure they won't stop

It looks like cycling will be given no consideration or exemption. These current restrictions could end the season for alot of organisers, very hard to plan beyond September now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Macy0161 wrote: »
    In fairness to CI, I'd expect they're awaiting guidance via Sport Ireland. But I took that Elite/ Professional Sport too. The rest of sport buried under the GAA expecting special treatment.

There's due to be racing at Sundrive in just over 4 hours. Of course that's weather-dependent and it's looking pretty ropey at present

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

You need a minimum of 30 for a gaa match to happen. The GAA will ensure they won't stop

More than that, if you include subs, referee, linesmen, umpires(is that the correct term for the lads, who call goal, point or wide?), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Guidelines state max of 40 per club. This includes players, management, medical and club officials.

GAA have also asked that one adult per underage player be allowed attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm still confused.

So for a training spin you can have 15 max.

But you can run a race with any number as long as nobody is watching?

Yep, that seems to be the case.

I would imagine that racing is competitive and exempt from 15 rule whereas a club spin is training.

dahat wrote: »
    I would imagine that racing is competitive and exempt from 15 rule whereas a club spin is training.
    And no idea where that leaves sportives, as they're not training or competition!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Macy0161 wrote: »
    And no idea where that leaves sportives, as they're not training or competition!

Well the first line states that:

"Sporting events and races can continue to take place behind closed doors. In the cycling context, the new restrictions mean cycling races and events can go ahead but that spectators are not permitted at these cycling races and/or events."

I'd classify a sportive as a "sporting event". I'm happy that racing isn't being impacted but this makes no sense. You can't train with 15 lads from around the area. Meaning that if one of you falls ill its only one area of a cluster. You are allowed to race against lads from all parts of the country however, meaning if someone falls ill you could have multiple clusters across the country.

Makes sense.

They have separated races/events from training to keep both running.

I know they are going with "events" are covered. I assume they've more direct advice, but seems a stretch to me, at least to the spirit of the guidelines if not the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

They have separated races/events from training to keep both running.

I understand that but that still makes no sense. As usual, CI will just throw it back on the clubs organising these events.

Yes, the onus back on clubs now & the wider communties of the local area. This will have a greater impact on racing going ahead in this period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I understand that but that still makes no sense. As usual, CI will just throw it back on the clubs organising these events.

In fairness to CI, they have just paraphrased the Sports Ireland interpretation of the Government announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....I would imagine that racing is competitive and exempt from 15 rule whereas a club spin is training.
    Many club spins are touring/leisure rather than training.

I don't 'train' nor do I race but I'm regularly on club rides.

Advertisement