Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Concrete calculation

• 11-05-2020 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've played around with some online calculators but I'm getting no joy. I'm knocking up a base for a steel shed. He retaining rim is 160mm wide. The depth is 100mm total.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

The drawing shows 100mm depth for bottom slab, and 50mm depth for top slab...is this a typo?

If its 50mm base & 50mm on top its working out 0.91m3

If its 100mm base & 50mm on top its working out 1.42m3

Calculation done on https://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The drawing shows 100mm depth for bottom slab, and 50mm depth for top slab...is this a typo?

If its 50mm base & 50mm on top its working out 0.91m3

If its 100mm base & 50mm on top its working out 1.42m3

Calculation done on https://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html
    I don't think it's a typo. The 50mm slab gets poured after the shed is erected as far as I know. Thanks for the calculations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

I just used a calculator( its two cuboids on top of each other) and got 1.429. I always round up with Concrete so I would be ordering 1.5 cubes and maybe a bit more!. The base is never perfectly level and the shutters are not always straight!

The maths:
    (4.96m*2.065m*0.1m)+(4.64mm*1.745m*0.05m) = 1.42908m^3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

its done in two stages, so 1 cu m, minimum, for the first bit and .5 for the second, both which will be very expensive to get delivered due to small amounts

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

its done in two stages, so 1 cu m, minimum, for the first bit and .5 for the second, both which will be very expensive to get delivered due to small amounts

Why would you not pour it all in one go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

muddle84 wrote: »
    Why would you not pour it all in one go?

Because the DPM goes under the rebated layer?

http://www.shanettesheds.ie/products/features/special-features/concrete-base/

Ah i see, you could just put the DPM under the whole slab and pour it in one, but you wouldn't get the slab up tight to the outer walls of the shed then so fair enough!

If you had a mixer it could work out cheaper to mix the concrete yourself if you'r doing it in two!

Yeah I plan on mixing myself. A local place hires out mixers. Ive a few odd jobs so ill just order 2 tonne to be safe.

Yeah I plan on mixing myself. A local place hires out mixers. Ive a few odd jobs so ill just order 2 tonne to be safe.

Dont forget that 1 ton bag does not equal 1 cubic metre. I would get 3 bags for 1.5 cubic metres of conrete.

Im guessing 30 Newton concrete is recommended. How many 25kg bags of cement am I looking at for 1.5 cubic meters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Hello all,

I've played around with some online calculators but I'm getting no joy. I'm knocking up a base for a steel shed. He retaining rim is 160mm wide. The depth is 100mm total.

Do you mind me asking how much the shed and base will cost you?

Cheers

audi02 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how much the shed and base will cost you?

Cheers

Shed is not far off 4k. I'm doing the base myself which is not finished. Base will roughly cost 600. I have no trailer to pick up loads so it costs more for materials.

Shed is not far off 4k. I'm doing the base myself which is not finished. Base will roughly cost 600. I have no trailer to pick up loads so it costs more for materials.

Is that including a roof? Cheers

audi02 wrote: »
    Is that including a roof? Cheers

Yes this is their gold range. 40mm insulation also.

Yes this is their gold range. 40mm insulation also.

Thanks a mill

Advertisement