Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible reasons for loud PC and possible solutions

Options
  • 11-05-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

I have a ryzen 2700x on stock cooler and a radeon VII graphics card. I understand the radeon VII isn't the quietest of cards but I don't think my PC should be running so loud while only doing things like Web browsing. It's really distracting/annoying.

I went into the BIOS and changed fan speeds to slow and it does make a small difference but I would really like a nice quiet PC.

What could I change about my build to make it run quieter? Upgrade the stock cooler? Water cooling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

What are your temps while browsing? Download something like HWinfo to tell you. Or ryzen master.

And make sure the cooler is seated on the CPU properly.

Does you case have good airflow, is it clean and free of dust, does it have a few case fans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Well first you need to figure out which fan or device is making the noise. The low tech way is to put your finger (carefully) on each of the spinning fans and see which one is causing the most noise. Less common nowadays, the HD could be a source of the noise, That should be easy enough to track.

Once you figure out the source of the noise you can go about replacing fans with quieter options.
    The PSU is commonly a source of noise, you should be able to source a quieter PSU for about €50

I don't know much about graphics cards but if it's a low end one, you can replace it with one with a passive cooler €30

The PSU fan in my computer recently started to make a lot of noise, bearing was going so I opened it up an replaced it. Wasn't that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭BurnUp78

.G. wrote: »
    What are your temps while browsing? Download something like HWinfo to tell you. Or ryzen master.

And make sure the cooler is seated on the CPU properly.

Does you case have good airflow, is it clean and free of dust, does it have a few case fans etc.

I have hwinfo and temps always look normal. Case has 3 case fans and its very clean.

The cooler.. Yeah I guess I could have installed it wrong? It was a year ago I'm really not sure. Idk this whole building your own PC thing is a pain in a whole tbh how much would this PC fetch for if I was to sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You might get away with removing the Radeon VII's fans & shroud (keep the heatsink!) and placing an Aerocool Astro 24 underneath for quieter GPU airflow.

Also consider doing the washer mod for lower temperatures.

The AMD Wraith Max/Prism aren't loud unless defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yeah as said above. Figure out exactly what it is making the noise first. Then we try sort solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

AMD made a recent annoying change to their radeon software where the minimum GPU fan speed has to be set to whatever the min speed in the GPU BIOS is. You used to be able to set it to whatever you want.

I used to be able to set mine as low as 10% and it worked for browsing the GPU was silent. Now the minimum is a stupid 35% and it's audible all the time. GPU core and junction only at 35c so plenty of overhead to run the fan slower at a higher temp.

I could override AMD's settings with morepowertool it's just annoying AMD removed that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I've had AMD cards get "stuck" before with ramped fans.

Install MSI afterburner, reset to defaults, apply. Should ramp the fan down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

BloodBath wrote: »
    AMD made a recent annoying change to their radeon software where the minimum GPU fan speed has to be set to whatever the min speed in the GPU BIOS is. You used to be able to set it to whatever you want.

I used to be able to set mine as low as 10% and it worked for browsing the GPU was silent. Now the minimum is a stupid 35% and it's audible all the time. GPU core and junction only at 35c so plenty of overhead to run the fan slower at a higher temp.

I could override AMD's settings with morepowertool it's just annoying AMD removed that option.

I had this problem also a couple of weeks ago after updating a driver. The fans wouldn't go any lower than 20% and fixed it as you said with MorePowerTool.

It is still working perfect since then. I can set a more aggressive fan profile in radeon software while playing games and then just re-open radeon software when finished playing and just one button press to reset and it automatically jumps back to a 10% fan profile so completely silent when I am browsing or watching videos/netflix.

I have never had to open MorePowerTool or mess with any setting since I done the mod a couple of weeks ago and I have used the PC every day since.

So I replaced the stock amd cooler and case fans with the Noctua nh u12-a and noctua ULN case fans and yep it was definitely the wraith prism making all the noise! Difference is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    So I replaced the stock amd cooler and case fans with the Noctua nh u12-a and noctua ULN case fans and yep it was definitely the wraith prism making all the noise! Difference is huge.

The Wraith Prism is silent if you manually adjust speeds. I have the same fan and on my 3700X with custom curve it's inaudible and does an excellent job of cooling.

At default settings its way too aggressive.

• Advertisement

Homelander wrote: »
    The Wraith Prism is silent if you manually adjust speeds. I have the same fan and on my 3700X with custom curve it's inaudible and does an excellent job of cooling.

I tried custom and even at 50% power it seemed very loud. My mobo also makes fans ramp to 100% power once temps hit 75 degrees and you can't manually adjust that which seems like an oversight by Asus as as far as I know temps up to 85 degrees under load is deemed safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

He's using a 2700x which is a 95w TDP part. You have the 3700x which is 65w.

The quality of the case cooling and ambient temps is gonna have an effect as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's a good point, I hadn't considered that.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I have a Wraith Prism and 3700X as well and find it excessively noisy, especially the constant ramping up on down from low to max RPM whilst just using a browser. I don't really care when I'm gaming. I'm experimenting with the fan curve in the BIOS and looking at the advanced power settings for the processor in Windows. I'm having some success but still feel that it's overly conservative in attempts to keep the CPU cool. From looking online, my temps seem normal enough for the 3700x and this just seems to be how they are out of the box. Can you share what you did with the fan curve to reduce the RPMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Cerberus wrote: »
    I have a Wraith Prism and 3700X as well and find it excessively noisy, especially the constant ramping up on down from low to max RPM whilst just using a browser. I don't really care when I'm gaming. I'm experimenting with the fan curve in the BIOS and looking at the advanced power settings for the processor in Windows. I'm having some success but still feel that it's overly conservative in attempts to keep the CPU cool. From looking online, my temps seem normal enough for the 3700x and this just seems to be how they are out of the box. Can you share what you did with the fan curve to reduce the RPMs?

+1 on all the above bar I'm with a 3800x really would like to know how you keep it quiet it's annoying with the constant ramping up and down. I think I'll go for a CPU cooler soon as I'm not a fan :pac: of the prism at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have a 3700X and installed a switch one with 5v and the other 12v. Completely silent on the 5v supply. And I flick it to 12volts rarely, I mostly game with it still on 5volts.

Just to add not all fans can be wired with 5 and 12 volts. The included stock AMD cooler fan couldn't and neither could the included fan on the cheap tower cooler I installed, luckily I had a fan from my old computer which could as I had the same mod done on there.

The fan makes noise when it cannot be wired to a 5volt supply. I honestly thought all fans could and it was only when i looked up why they were making noise that I found out not all fans could be wired for both voltages.

Advertisement