Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the iPad keyboard work with a cover?

Options
  • 11-05-2020 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I’m going to get the keyboard for the iPad Pro 2018 but already have a cover on it which I won’t be able to take off. I know the keyboard folds behind the iPad to prop it up. Any idea will it work ok if I already have a cover?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Redo91 wrote: »
    Hi,

So I’m going to get the keyboard for the iPad Pro 2018 but already have a cover on it which I won’t be able to take off. I know the keyboard folds behind the iPad to prop it up. Any idea will it work ok if I already have a cover?

Thanks for any help.

Why can't you just take the cover off it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can't put a normal cover over it, as it's a case in itself. There may be a case for that case, but if you need a keyboard, but want to keep the same case, any bluetooth keyboard will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Thanks for the replies.

Can’t seem to multi-quote on my phone so will just reply like this:

1) I’ve tried taking it off before but the iPad is fairly stuck into it. It’s a hard plastic cover that the iPad clicks into. I’d be afraid I’d damage the iPad if I used the force necessary to get it off.

2) Ya I thought of a regular Bluetooth keyboard but basically I got the iPad which is subsidised through a course I’m doing and we get discounts with compu b so I was going to get the proper keyboard since I can get it for cheaper.

What put me off using the keyboard as a cover was that it doesn’t cover the back of the iPad. Just to clarify are you saying the Apple keyboard won’t work if I have a cover on? I was going to just clip it in when I was using it. Was hoping you could detach the keyboard from the bit at the back that props the iPad up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It needs to be clicked into the iPad Smart Keyboard case as the 3 dots on the back create the connection.

Thanks for the replies.

1) I’ve tried taking it off before but the iPad is fairly stuck into it. It’s a hard plastic cover that the iPad clicks into. I’d be afraid I’d damage the iPad if I used the force necessary to get it off.

2) Ya I thought of a regular Bluetooth keyboard but basically I got the iPad which is subsidised through a course I’m doing and we get discounts with compu b so I was going to get the proper keyboard since I can get it for cheaper.

What put me off using the keyboard as a cover was that it doesn’t cover the back of the iPad. Just to clarify are you saying the Apple keyboard won’t work if I have a cover on? I was going to just clip it in when I was using it. Was hoping you could detach the keyboard from the bit at the back that props the iPad up.

It uses magnets to stock to the back, and as a previous poster said, the 3 dots provide poor. The magnets are pretty strong, but it's not as stuck on as a case. The magnets likely won't get through a case. Best to watch a YouTube installation video to see what I mean!

• Advertisement

The official keyboard basically doubles as a cover.

Thanks again for the replies.

I checked and the three dots mentioned are actually exposed so I don’t have to worry about the connection through a cover.

Is the keyboard detachable from the cover part? That’s my main concern as I don’t know what I could do with the cover part of the keyboard if it’s not detachable. Keyboard probably wouldn’t sit right if I had it folded back underneath the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Thanks for the replies.

I’d be pretty amazed if you could damage the iPad taking off a cover. If it was flexible enough to go on it’ll come off.

Usually they’re held by four sort of claws, one in each corner. Can you attach a picture of the case and we’ll try to help if you like?

Thanks again for the replies.

I checked and the three dots mentioned are actually exposed so I don’t have to worry about the connection through a cover.

Is the keyboard detachable from the cover part? That’s my main concern as I don’t know what I could do with the cover part of the keyboard if it’s not detachable. Keyboard probably wouldn’t sit right if I had it folded back underneath the keyboard.

No, it’s not detachable.

brophs wrote: »
    I’d be pretty amazed if you could damage the iPad taking off a cover. If it was flexible enough to go on it’ll come off.

Usually they’re held by four sort of claws, one in each corner. Can you attach a picture of the case and we’ll try to help if you like?

Sorry I missed this. I know the ones you are talking about with the claws. Wish I had gotten one of those. The back of this cover is a hard plastic and it fits tightly around the iPad. It doesn’t seem to be any looser around the corners or anything.

I would genuinely be worried about doing damage when taking it off. Also even if I didn’t I know it would take a while and a bit off effort so it isn’t practical from that point of view if I had to go through that each time I wanted to attach the keyboard.

I found a Logitech keyboard on Amazon for just over €100 which is blue tooth so I might go for that.

Thanks for the help! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement