Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycles, Phoenix Park and traffic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There's a few riding schools that use it on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have to say I liked that Virtual Room concept.

Easy to read, easy to navigate, felt like you were participating in a project rather than just reading something.

Light on detail of course, but that's where the heavy PDFs could come in I guess.

I was googling for a lead on how they put it together - the VirtualEventSpace software, but I drew a blank. It's hardly proprietary is it? Would definitely like to play with it a bit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

now try reading it on a phone. it's clunky; you expect to be able to tap on the virtual display boards, but that doesn't work, you need to tap on the small green button above them.
    and some of the information sheets load in a manner where you can't pinch and zoom, so you can't actually read them, while others can. and there seem to be two different ways the documents load (i suspect different file formats?)

it's a $50 solution to a $5 problem.

Designed for PCs for sure, and on a pc it's a very good experience. I would have had some appropriate sound throughout perhaps.

I like the concept and see lots of uses for this kind of information display - albeit more readily B2B. Anybody have any insight into how it's done?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

now try reading it on a phone. it's clunky; you expect to be able to tap on the virtual display boards, but that doesn't work, you need to tap on the small green button above them.
    and some of the information sheets load in a manner where you can't pinch and zoom, so you can't actually read them, while others can. and there seem to be two different ways the documents load (i suspect different file formats?)

it's a $50 solution to a $5 problem.

Only PDF that I found is the original study at http://assets.gov.ie/118538/2d426964-2654-4d66-9c93-7c2177dd150b.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,030 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Have to say I liked that Virtual Room concept.

Easy to read, easy to navigate, felt like you were participating in a project rather than just reading something.

Light on detail of course, but that's where the heavy PDFs could come in I guess.

I was googling for a lead on how they put it together - the VirtualEventSpace software, but I drew a blank. It's hardly proprietary is it? Would definitely like to play with it a bit.

In this day and age, producing something that doesn't really work on mobile phones is just ridiculous. It is also not designed to work for people with disabilities, despite the legal obligations on public bodies to do just this - all style and no substance. At very least, they should have all the information available in an easily accessible format - ideally HTML.

You'd wonder was that a conscious decision or just a major oversight?

Still haven't' tracked down the software/capability, it may have been a lack of experience with the platform or it might have been by direction. How many do they really want to look at the info etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Virtual consultation rooms have been used on quite a few public infrastructure schemes over the past year or so including BusConnect. From Googling it, it seems many of the big Engineering firms such as Arup, RPS, Jacobs and Aecom are offering it to clients as an alternative to real public engagement which is obviously problematic at present. I have found it to be okay on the PC but miss being able to question the design engineers about specific proposals or chat with other objectors/supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I found a very plain press release version with the original study PDF at https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/c4f6f-phoenix-park-transport-and-mobility-options-study/

I have found it to be okay on the PC but miss being able to question the design engineers about specific proposals or chat with other objectors/supporters.

Does that seem like a coincidence?

• Advertisement

Haven't seen the Virtual consultation rooms before.

But on the public consultation webinars (online) I have been on previously, while questions were allowed. It seemed very much that it was done to tick the box on public consolation. As their mind seemed made up before hand, and what was presented, and said very much confirmed that. As their preferred proposal was far better prepared than the others, at least in the pro's. The cons being skimmed or ignored, for that proposal but not for the others.

For anyone interested, Neasa Hourigan is hosting a Zoom meeting on Monday night about the Mobility and Transport Study. You can sign on here https://neasahourigan.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=09ddf36a96a945c3a46ae9161&id=6b67e10ddb&e=082c757da3

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Does that seem like a coincidence?

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OPW are asking people, where possible, not to drive to the phoenix park this weekend.

https://twitter.com/phoenixparkopw/status/1365240246594662400

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the OPW are asking people, where possible, not to drive to the phoenix park this weekend.

https://twitter.com/phoenixparkopw/status/1365240246594662400
    I can see that call going ignored :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

They should just announce that all car parks are closed to all cars, except cars displaying a disability sticker.

they should announce that gardai will be noting car reg plates, and whether the park is within 5km of the registered address...

They should put gates on all entrances...oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

beauf wrote: »
    They should put gates on all entrances...oh wait...

Just on that, what's happening with the gates which are being restored? Seems to be taking forever. Are they waiting for post-Covid to reinstate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Weren’t those metal gates installed for the popes visit a few years back.

• Advertisement

They seem to spend an awful long time and a lot of money on these gates. But never widening them or putting traffic controls on them. We know the gates are not fit for purpose. But we are going to put them back exactly the same every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I think the problem is bigger than just widening the gates. The roadways leading into them don't really allow much of a readjustment. For example the Castleknock gate is at an acute angle to a bend on the main road and I can't even begin to describe the problems at Ashtown gate.

A come on, most of them are single lane only.

No one wants to improve the throughput of the gates anyway. Even if it's just to a car park just inside the gates to reduce the amount of driving through the park that people have to do.

Instead we have the worst of everything. Poor parking, poor access to parking. No traffic volume restrictions. No commuting restrictions. It's basically a poorly planned mess.

But it's historical so let's not fix a 100yr old design for horses to make it better. There's no point suggesting changes either. No one wants alter as much as one brick in a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Are the gates not protected structures?

Wasn't a mess this morning anyway, everyone seemed in good form.

Haven't been passed by so many cyclists in a long time :o

mvt wrote: »
    Are the gates not protected structures?

Yes, the gates, gate piers and gate lodges are all (rightly) protected.

Used to be cattle grids, with no gates.

Used to be cattle grids, with no gates.

Didn’t think you were that old - most of them date from the 1830s.

Didn’t think you were that old - most of them date from the 1830s.

They grazed cattle in the park not sure when they stopped. But they had cattle grids when they did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiViYr8dIcU&list=RDiiViYr8dIcU&start_radio=1&rv=iiViYr8dIcU&ab_channel=BrianLarsen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

They grazed cattle in the park not sure when they stopped. But they had cattle grids when they did.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiViYr8dIcU&list=RDiiViYr8dIcU&start_radio=1&rv=iiViYr8dIcU&ab_channel=BrianLarsen

I just watched that video. What was the sign that the kids were trying to knock, that the father subsequently helped them with? Very odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Looks like "_________ stop on the grass" ??

Advertisement