Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycles, Phoenix Park and traffic

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

worth pointing out that i didn't actually drive into the park, i parked in the hole in the wall car park.

I think you lost them at drove...splitter....

https://youtu.be/iS-0Az7dgRY

You had me at barbeque though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

beauf wrote: »
    So it will require out of the box approach to be successful this time. But the time to strike is now while lockdown still has an effect.

It may not be out of the box but the incremental approach that OPW and its consultants are promoting is based on more of what is already on the Military Road - a closed section of road with cul-de-sacs on either side.

Unfortunately, you still get reactions like the FG one where you would think it was planned to put anti-tank (or car) traps all around the perimeter. Mid-week, a significant amount of the rat-running traffic coming in the Chapelizod gate and heading for Castleknock or Ashtown is commercial traffic. They shouldn't even be in the Park according to the bye-laws but when has this ever been enforced? Now the denizens of Chapelizod, including those in my favourite coffee shop, are up in arms and lobbying their local and vocal politicians. Maybe making Tower Road one-way or even a cul-de-sac might be an out of the box solution!

You should suggest this next time you're in the cafe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭YakerK

Great - that section has a awful surface. Be very glad to see it done. Hopefully they don't ruin it with too many ramps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭alentejo

great 20k and county limit comes into being on the 12th of April. Will be glad to bypass the park for a month or so!

Really need to resurface that road - tis awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭VonLuck

They could do with adding a ramp break near the kerbs. The bike can take a beating going over them they're so severe!

I wonder if they'll take the opportunity to widen the footpath on the northern side of the road? Barely enough space for a single person to walk along it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭blackbox

VonLuck wrote: »
    They could do with adding a ramp break near the kerbs. The bike can take a beating going over them they're so severe!

Not claiming to be an expert here, but I suspect that if you go over them slowly they won't do any damage.

blackbox wrote: »
    Not claiming to be an expert here, but I suspect that if you go over them slowly they won't do any damage.

Obviously! But the intention of the speed bumps is to slow down cars, not bicycles. You pretty much have to go at a snails pace over them on a bike to avoid feeling the impact and a lot of them go kerb to grass verge so you can't avoid them. Although now that I think about it, the problematic ones may be outside the proposed works area.

Obviously! But the intention of the speed bumps is to slow down cars, not bicycles. You pretty much have to go at a snails pace over them on a bike to avoid feeling the impact and a lot of them go kerb to grass verge so you can't avoid them. Although now that I think about it, the problematic ones may be outside the proposed works area.

Maybe they think the bicycles are going too fast also.

• Advertisement

Yes, that road is renowned for cyclists exceeding 50km/h!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

As a non-poster in the cycling forum that was exactly the suggestion :rolleyes:

Yes, that road is renowned for cyclists exceeding 50km/h!

Even 20km/h could be too fast depending on conditions, pedestrians etc.

Those ramps are not designed to keep people under 50km/h. You have to go over them a lot slower than that. So they must want speeds a lot lower than 50.

Someone suggested "snails pace" what speed is that

MojoMaker wrote: »
    As a non-poster in the cycling forum that was exactly the suggestion :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what not posting in the cycling forum has to do with it.

That road is wide enough to put in proper footpaths and cycle lanes and car lanes and traffic calming. They've done none of that. So I can only assume they aren't interested.

The problem with Chesterfield Ave AFAIK was it had no foundation. That's why they had to rebuild it. I assume the other roads on the park were not built to a higher standard. I'm open to correction..

Blow-in to the cycling forum makes smart remark about cyclists and vanishes.

Kinda had a point though.

Ah jaysus.

I was in the Phoenix Park yesterday and noticed the works to the North Road have started. The only problem is that it looks like they're not doing anything with the existing cycle lane. They've stripped all the footpaths and the main road, but not the green tarmac for the cycle lane. Is that not part of the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,124 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Only the OPW and their contractor will know that.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Thanks for the round about way of saying that you don't know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I was in the Phoenix Park yesterday and noticed the works to the North Road have started. The only problem is that it looks like they're not doing anything with the existing cycle lane. They've stripped all the footpaths and the main road, but not the green tarmac for the cycle lane. Is that not part of the works?

There was so many slogger joggers in it they couldn’t do the work. Either that or Mannix Flynn is to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 24,124 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thanks for the round about way of saying that you don't know!

Why ask here though? Was it a rhetorical question to summon up the hysterics of the cycling die hards?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Why ask here though? Was it a rhetorical question to summon up the hysterics of the cycling die hards?

It only summoned up the hysterics of one person and you don't come across as a cycling die hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not sure why the OPW and their contractor would be specifically keeping that to themselves, which is what your use of 'only' implies.
    it's quite possible someone here who has an interest in such things might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is me after cycling:

i'm not sure why the OPW and their contractor would be specifically keeping that to themselves, which is what your use of 'only' implies.
    it's quite possible someone here who has an interest in such things might know.

Yeah, I checked out the tender documents for the job a good few months back and the cycle lane was excluded. I'm not too worried about that as long as they remove or modify the bloody speed ramps. Have they actually laid the new surface finish on any sections yet?

Decided to check out the North Road yesterday to see how the resurfacing was coming on and what the speed ramps were like. It looks like everything other than the road marking is done and it may actually open ahead of schedule. The ramps are certainly a big improvement on what was there before - on the wall side heading towards the NCR, a gap of about 30cm has been left and on the other (Zoo) side, they are generally tapered with some gaps. Even in the centre of the road, the ramps are a fair bit lower and more gentle that the old ones. There is no sign of any intention to even mark out a bike lane on the wall side despite the fact that the road is about 7m wide excluding the existing bike lane on the other side.

kHbpMqY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

So they've left the bike lane surface as it was, and resurfaced the rest of the road?

Thats weird. Camber far worse now as well.

"They have a bike lane and they wont even use it Joe".

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Thats weird. Camber far worse now as well.

I didn’t notice any particular problem with camber on the road or the bike lane. Hopefully that whole section of the North Road will be closed to traffic before too long as proposed in their recent Transport Report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    So they've left the bike lane surface as it was, and resurfaced the rest of the road?

"They have a bike lane and they wont even use it Joe".

What’s with the OPWs aversion to resurfacing cycle lanes, especially both sides of the ParkGate St entrance which are in tire state of disrepair for years.
    New road surface looks nice despite the “speed” ramps but why leave that strip of cycle lane, who’ll choose to cycle in a potentially bumpy cycle lane instead of a nice smooth tarmacadamed road.

Advertisement