Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Actually only the scene in the cafe talking about the patriarchy was really bad, i burst out laughing randomly such was its madness.
    much like Leah's monologue in ep1 about the trauma of being a teenage girl, I don't disagree with what they're saying, it's more the way they're saying it. Although, as we saw more of Leah throughout the series I realised she probably would talk like that. She's very intense. Gretchen, as the villain, was probably the least fleshed out of the characters. We could piece some of her history together from things other people said but mainly we only saw her manipulating other people so maybe her conversation with Nora was what she knew Nora needed to hear to get her on board.
    But yeah, I felt like the rest of what we saw on screen made those points very well, we didn't really need to have it spelled out for us in such obvious ways through dialogue at either end of the series. But it's a minor quibble.

But yeah, I felt like the rest of what we saw on screen made those points very well, we didn't really need to have it spelled out for us in such obvious ways through dialogue at either end of the series. But it's a minor quibble.
    Yeah the skill of subtlety is far more effective. Ever artist has their messages whether we agree with them or not, but when it comes to moralising if you really want to get a message across, being blunt about it really pushes away viewers or lets say people with an opposing view or an on the fence view. If indeed the goal is to get more people to see things the way the artist does, subtlety and skill would deliver a better result.

But as you said minor quibble!

I see The Wilds has been renewed for S2, thankfully. So many questions at the end of S1. It films in New Zealand so hopefully there shouldn't be too much of a wait between seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Two episodes of The Wilds left and I'll stick it out but the more I've seen the less impressed I've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I watched the movie Mary and Max there recently. I was a little put-off by the look of the stop-motion animation, but once I got past that, it was an exceptional film. Funny, touching, sad, painfully real at times.
    The only issue is a problem with the vocal track (vocals are significantly lower than both music and sound effects). I can only assume this is an Amazon issue that needs to be corrected.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Two episodes of The Wilds left and I'll stick it out but the more I've seen the less impressed I've been.
    Finished it tonight and had a look through those spoiler comments above and I actually think my opinion of the show isn't that far removed from that of everyone who watched it here.
    Pretty sure I'd have enjoyed the show a lot more if every single scene that featured dialogue from the Rachel Griffiths character was cut. That cafe scene was the worst offender but the whole premise, while more than likely integral to the story line of future seasons, could just have easily been subtly hinted at rather than delivered in such a hammy way. I found it quite jarring. The only downside would be that it'd feel very much like a Lost reboot but you'd have no complaints from me.

Finished it tonight and had a look through those spoiler comments above and I actually think my opinion of the show isn't that far removed from that of everyone who watched it here.
    Pretty sure I'd have enjoyed the show a lot more if every single scene that featured dialogue from the Rachel Griffiths character was cut. That cafe scene was the worst offender but the whole premise, while more than likely integral to the story line of future seasons, could just have easily been subtly hinted at rather than delivered in such a hammy way. I found it quite jarring. The only downside would be that it'd feel very much like a Lost reboot but you'd have no complaints from me.

Obviously everyone has their own taste but for me it's one if the best things I've watched this year. I was genuinely surprised by how much depth it had. I was expecting some sort of trashy, melodramatic, soapy, teen angst thing, a fun way to kill a few hours but ultimately forgettable but it absorbed me completely and I find myself still thinking about it some of the unanswered questions.

I do agree that there were a couple of scenes with less than subtle dialogue, but they accounted for maybe 2% of the show, if even, so not enough to spoil the rest of it.

Probably didn't come across in my previous posts but I thoroughly enjoyed the show, I thought the island and flashback material was superbly done. I just thought the rest felt pretty clunky. As you alluded to though, my personal taste would be more aligned with a show that offered a vaguer explanation as to what the hell was going on. In fairness, I'm probably a long way from the target demographic too so I'm more than happy to praise the show for what it does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It's very heavily indebted to Lost. I'm about halfway through. I'll probably finish it but I'm in no mad panic. It's grand for what it is.

As you alluded to though, my personal taste would be more aligned with a show that offered a vaguer explanation as to what the hell was going on. In fairness, I'm probably a long way from the target demographic too so I'm more than happy to praise the show for what it does well.

Indeed. I was talking to someone else who watched and enjoyed it but had approached it like it was a full blown mystery show so they had some issues with how much information about what was really going on had been revealed too soon. Personally I saw it as more of a character driven piece with a small level of mystery thrown in, so I was actually quite happy with how much they revealed of the other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Very funny barber scene, fingers crossed this will be good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

rewatching the Americans - forgotten how good it is !

All of the Rocky films added today, and Creed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

3 Idiots
    A Turtle's Tale: Sammy's Adventures
    After We Collided (2020)
    An American Rhapsody (S.Johansson)
    Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey
    Charlotte's Web
    Creed
    Corporate
    The Day After Tomorrow
    Deadfall
    Despicable Me
    The Devil Wears Prada
    Don't Breathe
    Dragged Across Concrete
    Dumb and Dumber
    Dumb and Dumber To
    Eye of the Beholder
    Free State of Jones (McConaughey)
    Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home
    The Fuzz
    Get Back Up (2020)
    The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)(L.James)
    Hannah: And Other Misadventures (2020)
    The Help
    Hick
    Horrible Bosses
    Horrible Bosses 2
    Hot Summer Nights (2018)(T.Chalamet)
    The Intouchables
    John Tucker Must Die
    Jupiter Ascending
    Les Misérables (2012)
    Licence to Wed
    Madagascar
    My Life in Ruins
    Murder Most Likely
    National Lampoon's European Vacation
    Pearl Harbor
    The Perfect Storm
    Planet of the Apes (2001)(Wahlberg/Roth)
    Possession (S.M.Gellar)
    Pretty Woman
    The Proposal
    Real Steel (H.Jackman)
    Rocky
    Rocky II
    Rocky III
    Rocky IV
    Rocky V
    Rocky Balboa
    Run, Fatboy, Run
    Slayer: The Repentless Killology
    Sol (2020)
    Sylvie's Love (2020)(Amazon Original)
    The Terminator
    This Means War (Witherspoon/T.Hardy/C.Pine)
    The Town
    Transference: A Bipolar Love Story (2020)
    Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    War Dogs (Teller/J.Hill)
    War Horse
    We Own the Night
    Wild Wild West
    Winter's Tale
    Wonder

The Grand Tour Season 4 (Amazon Original) (future episodes weekly till conclusion)
    Hannibal (Seasons 1-3)
    Informer (Season 1)
    Methanol - Miniseries (2018) Original Title: Metanol

Expiring soon (That I'm aware of)

A Lonely Place to Die - 3/1
    Edge of Tomorrow - 4/1
    The Skeleton Key - 4/1
    Resident Evil films (M.Jovovich film series and the CGI animated films) - 7/1
    Brooklyn - 12/1
    Silver Linings Playbook - 12/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

watched the Oscar Pistorius docuseries. As usual it just feels like there is one episode too many, but was very enjoyable overall. A lot of info i didn't recall or know and interesting to have it all put together like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Pacific Heights with Melanie Griffiths and Michael Keating is on the amazon.com library, will need a vpn.
    Cracking movie.

Also available to watch:

Platoon.
    Boyz in the hood.
    Ronin.
    Rocketman.

Season 10 of Bob's Burgers added.

Lots of films too...

Hunger Games
    The Revenant
    A Few Good Men
    Birdman
    Gone Girl
    Mr and Mrs Smith
    Noah
    Assassin's Creed
    Heaven and Earth
    Heat
    Once Upon a Time in America
    Legend
    A Time to Kill
    LA Confidential
    Big Fish
    JFK
    Natural Born Killers
    Brazil
    The Client
    Aloha
    A Midsummer Night's Dream
    The King of Comedy
    This Boy's Life
    Empire Records
    Down with Love
    Bogus
    Made in America
    Pushing Tin
    Tiger land
    Widows
    Trumbo
    Milk
    A Walk in the Woods
    Away We Go

(Some of those were streaming before but they're being listed as new today and yesterday)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Almost all the films are gone off mine. It keeps saying - This Title is not available in your current location. Do I need my settings changed? This will definitely make me rethink keeping Prime

Knine wrote: »
    Almost all the films are gone off mine. It keeps saying - This Title is not available in your current location. Do I need my settings changed? This will definitely make me rethink keeping Prime

What is your location setting? All the ones I listed are showing up on Irish Prime.

• Advertisement

What is your location setting? All the ones I listed are showing up on Irish Prime.

I think they changed mine to UK. I tried the Legend film & got not available. I'm hoping I just need my settings changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Same there's hardly anything on it now

xtal191 wrote: »
    Same there's hardly anything on it now

I'm going to ring them & see if they can fix it. It keeps just showing Rental options now

I'm going to ring them & see if they can fix it. It keeps just showing Rental options now

You must be on the UK one, there's no rental options on Prime here.
    How long have you been signed up and are you using PrimeVideo.com rather than Amazon's own site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

You should be able to change your location to Ireland her PrimeVideo.com

You must be on the UK one, there's no rental options on Prime here.
    How long have you been signed up and are you using PrimeVideo.com rather than Amazon's own site?

Signed up about 2 months. I'm actually not sure. I use the App on the TV & upstairs on the Firestick. I know I had to contact Amazon when I set up the Firestick as nothing at all worked

Signed up about 2 months. I'm actually not sure. I use the App on the TV & upstairs on the Firestick. I know I had to contact Amazon when I set up the Firestick as nothing at all worked

There's another Amazon Prime thread that's more about technical stuff, https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057771671/164 , if you can't get it sorted, they might be able to help you there. There's a few people seem to be having the same issue. Brexit, apparently?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

Same thing here. I had a 30-day subscription to Hayu via my Amazon Prime subscription but it's suddenly gone, all unavailable to my location. I've only started 11 days ago.

Apparently, starting 1 January 2021 they'll all be gone if you're in the EU. Found out too late :/

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Over the past few months Amazon have been adding far more movies to their service than Netflix have. Great to see!

• Advertisement

Watched The Vast of Night earlier.

I think I saw it mentioned here a few times. It's set in the 1950s and it's basically a local radio DJ and a girl who works nights on the telephone switchboard trying to figure out what's making the weird noise she heard on one of the phone lines. It's framed like it's an episode of something like The Twilight Zone, and it's got a very particular style to it, which adds to the atmosphere, I think. It's undoubtedly not going to be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. I've had a difficult time concentrating on anything this year, with all that's going on, but this captivated me for the full run time.

Advertisement