Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

You mean 'hammy', as in deliberately OTT for the sake of art. I think it's just sh1te. Deliberate or not though, it is annoyingly distracting.
    A ham actor overacts because he doesn't know any better, or hasn't the skill to be any more subtle. Deliberately over the top is probably best described as camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

mikhail wrote: »
    A ham actor overacts because he doesn't know any better, or hasn't the skill to be any more subtle. Deliberately over the top is probably best described as camp.

He played Judge Dredd very subtlety, not a bit hammy or over the top. I think his character in The Boys is exactly as intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Hurrache wrote: »
    He played Judge Dredd very subtlety, not a bit hammy or over the top. I think his character in The Boys is exactly as intended.
    He was great in Judge Dredd, accent included. His accent is terrible in The Boys, whether intentional or not, or whether it irritates or not. I think he's great in the The Boys; it's just that the accent irritates me. I don't think he can do it properly, so perhaps hams it up in humour. Maybe he can explain it himself sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

He was great in Judge Dredd, accent included. His accent is terrible in The Boys, whether intentional or not, or whether it irritates or not. I think he's great in the The Boys; it's just that the accent irritates me. I don't think he can do it properly, so perhaps hams it up in humour. Maybe he can explain it himself sometime.

It's usually only attempts at Irish accents that I find hugely distracting (Joe Gilgun in Preacher, for example, but it could also be that all three leads are putting on strong accents!). I don't think I even blinked twice at Karl Urbans accent in The Boys. Everyone's different though, so I do feel for you that you find it so annoying.

However, it's still an awesome show and I can't wait for its return!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Urban's accent in The Boys is shocking, I don't know why they didn't let him keep his NZ accent or let him do an American accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Heartily recommend Cobra, a late 80s, ultra-macho action movie starring Stallone.

Fun fact: Stallone was originally going to be the star of Beverly Hills Cop, against the studio's wishes. Paramount had a clause in the 80s whereupon every script with a male leading role goes to Stallone first. He really liked the script and rewrote it to the extent that tons of new action scenes were added and most of the comedy was removed.

Paramount, secretly delighted, told him they couldn't afford what he had proposed but allowed to take his idea to a rival studio. So 'Axel Cobretti' (Stallone's re-write) became Eddie Murphy's Axel Foley and Cobretti became the star of Cobra.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,322 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

khalessi wrote: »
    I think his accent is deliberately over the top. Enjoyabe tv series, looking forward to season 2 in Sept

Urban is great as Butcher

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The True History of the Kelly Gang was added today. Didn't get to see it in the cinema like most things this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Any idea why Prime no longer sending Dolby Vision or Dolby Atmos for shows that had it? and if the video quality is still reduced due to Covid?

Anyone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Anyone? :confused:

I didn't think that Amazon did anything in Dolby Vision apart from Jack Ryan? I haven't watched that show, so can't confirm. Everything else on it comes through to my tv as HDR. Most Netflix stuff is Dolby Vision though.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Fun little film called get duked! Is on amazon prime it's a lot of silly fun, clearly influenced by edgar wright etc.
    The original title was boyz in the wood lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Watched the departed.

Had forgotten what a great film it is, fantastic stuff.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Heartily recommend Cobra, a late 80s, ultra-macho action movie starring Stallone.

Fun fact: Stallone was originally going to be the star of Beverly Hills Cop, against the studio's wishes. Paramount had a clause in the 80s whereupon every script with a male leading role goes to Stallone first. He really liked the script and rewrote it to the extent that tons of new action scenes were added and most of the comedy was removed.

Paramount, secretly delighted, told him they couldn't afford what he had proposed but allowed to take his idea to a rival studio. So 'Axel Cobretti' (Stallone's re-write) became Eddie Murphy's Axel Foley and Cobretti became the star of Cobra.

According to the book High Concept, the producers Simpson and Bruckheimer wanted Stallone off BHC so badly that they, knowing he was massively insecure about the size of his penis, arranged for him to fly to Switzerland to receive a revolutionary new treatment which involved injections of sheep semen.

gmisk wrote: »
    Fun little film called get duked! Is on amazon prime it's a lot of silly fun, clearly influenced by edgar wright etc.
    The original title was boyz in the wood lol

That does look like good fun.

524736.png

Anyway who had Prime Video and then later got a subscription via Eir, how do you merge the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Mary & Max - on Amazon Prime. Anyone watch it? It is on a poster I have for 100 Films to watch and I watched it last night.
    It is quirky & different but based on a true life story. Its about an unlikely friendship between a young girl in Australia (voiced by Toni Collette when older) & a 44 year old obese man living in New York (voiced by Philip Seymore Hoffmann)
    It animation and quirky - I don't think I have ever watched anything similar before.

Anyone else watch it, what did you think?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Anyway who had Prime Video and then later got a subscription via Eir, how do you merge the two?

There should be a link in your My Eir account and you just sign into your account from it. I think? It's a while since I did it but I remember it being very simple and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

robo wrote: »
    Mary & Max - on Amazon Prime. Anyone watch it? It is on a poster I have for 100 Films to watch and I watched it last night.
    It is quirky & different but based on a true life story. Its about an unlikely friendship between a young girl in Australia (voiced by Toni Collette when older) & a 44 year old obese man living in New York (voiced by Philip Seymore Hoffmann)
    It animation and quirky - I don't think I have ever watched anything similar before.

On my watch list but have yet to sit down and put it on. Heard very good things about it, would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

S.M.B. wrote: »
    On my watch list but have yet to sit down and put it on. Heard very good things about it, would you recommend?

Yeh definitely - I only watched it cos it is on a poster I own (100 movies bucketlist).
    Let me know what you think?

robo wrote: »

Watched a few years back; beautiful film. I'd highly recommend it. Sentimental, but not overly so, funny, and with some great observations; it's gotta lotta heart.

• Advertisement

There should be a link in your My Eir account and you just sign into your account from it. I think? It's a while since I did it but I remember it being very simple and quick.

Cheers, saw the link alright but wasn't sure if it'll try create a new account or allow me to link to the current one, which is UK one. I'll follow through so and see what happens.

Finished The Bureau after catching the first 2 seasons on Prime. Phenomenal show, gets better and better with each season.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

El Rifle wrote: »
    Finished The Bureau after catching the first 2 seasons on Prime. Phenomenal show, gets better and better with each season.
    Just finished Season 3 on Friday (sourced elsewhere) and the quality stays up. Best spy show I've ever seen - treats the viewer with intelligence and is probably far more representative of what spying is actually like.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched The Vast of Night yesterday ,was very enjoyable. Kind of like a paired down, more sinister version of Close Encounters. Really like the setting and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Buttros

ive been looking out for ZeroZeroZero but dont see it on Prime. Am i missing something. (Ive a UK account)

ixoy wrote: »
    Just finished Season 3 on Friday (sourced elsewhere) and the quality stays up. Best spy show I've ever seen - treats the viewer with intelligence and is probably far more representative of what spying is actually like.

Sourced it; looking forward to starting it.

Buttros wrote: »
    ive been looking out for ZeroZeroZero but dont see it on Prime. Am i missing something. (Ive a UK account)

Might not be on Prime here:
    PaddyCar wrote: »
    This isn't showing up on my prime. What region are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've a real soft spot for The Wedding Singer and was delighted to see that it had made its way on to prime recently. Thoroughly enjoyed it, the movie is so familiar to me even though I probably have not watched it in nearly 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I've been bingeing on Parks and Recreation for the last couple of weeks. Such a great show with a brilliant ensemble cast.

• Advertisement

I watched Knives Out tonight. Really enjoyed it. It's a lot of fun and really well structured. I figured out a lot of it just before the characters did which made me feel super smart but I think that's the way a good mystery is written. They give you the clues to put it together without being obvious about it.
    Anyway, highly recommend. Didn't even notice the 2hr10 run time on it. Flew by.

Advertisement