Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with sunflowers and gardening in general

• 11-05-2020 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I started my gardening adventure this year and to tell you the truth I feel like I'm making a mess of it even though im thoroughly enjoying myself. Anyways I probably took the difficult root and started growing everything from seed but I'm just so blown away watching them grow. Anyways my big issue at the moment is my sunflowers, I ruined a batch earlier this year by planting them outdoors too early and now my second batch seem to have taken a beating with last nights cold easterly wind. They're well supported with bamboo but the plants look a bit sad today and some leaves have withered. Should I prune the withered leaves or what do you suggest I can do to rescue them if anything.

Also is it normal to makes lots of mistakes the first time around or should I assume I dont have green fingers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Remove the withered foliage, plants can dry out in this low humidity northern wind.

You went far too soon for a late summer plant.

The second batch were fooled by the fine weather, so were not hardy enough for the sudden switch to cold wind.

If you want an Ireland friendly yellow plant then Black Eyed Susan is better bet.

Advertisement