Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating rent

Options
  • 11-05-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Would you negotiate rent you felt it was too high or if you know it was increased?

On the back of not getting an apt last week ive been keeping my eye closer on daft(the couple who viewed it before us got it based onthe first being interested)
    ive noticed more places increasing the prices, one by 400 euro per month.
    The apartment we were already looking at was a 20% on what we were currently spending

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You've noticed prices increasing? Are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi All

Would you negotiate rent you felt it was too high or if you know it was increased?

On the back of not getting an apt last week ive been keeping my eye closer on daft(the couple who viewed it before us got it based onthe first being interested)
    ive noticed more places increasing the prices, one by 400 euro per month.
    The apartment we were already looking at was a 20% on what we were currently spending

Why wouldn’t you just negotiate no matter the history given what is going on in the rental market now?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s no harm asking. All the LL can say is no.
    Just bear in mind that if viewings are still many people deep, that if you try the hard ball route, the LL may just move into the next person in the list.

Deffo look at it and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 buyersagent

There is certainly scope to negotiate on asking prices for rental properties at the moment.

It's difficult to advise based on the background information available. For example, one apartment could rent for €1,400 per month and another identical apartment might also rent for €1,800 per month at the same time. The apartment renting for €1,400 might be subject to rent limits due to being in a rent pressure zone and previously rented out at below market rents, while the other apartment may previously have been owner occupied or rented at a much higher level per month. Therefore it is common for there to be discrepancies between rents achieved for identical apartments in apartment blocks at any given time.

What it really comes down to is the prevailing market rent - i.e. what are people willing to pay in the market right now. If the apartment seeking €400 more isn't realistically priced, people will negotiate it down or else rent something that represents better value. If the apartment seeking €400 more is actually at or below the market rate, the landlord is unlikely to accept less but might accept a bit less for, say, you taking the lease immediately to reduce their void period.

It all depends on the circumstances. Best of luck with finding a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭skinny90

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Why wouldn’t you just negotiate no matter the history given what is going on in the rental market now?

That’s true, I mean my own two cents is that if we have say 2 options listed, 1 option ticks all of our boxes including rent per month we probably won’t negotiate and focus more on succeeding with an application
    This isn’t the case however.
    In this case everything suitable is just coming up far greater than imaginable. In the event of the one I mentioned yes I noticed it has gone up in the ad. The ad even points it out. Its a property company who owns the add not that it should matter

• Advertisement
Advertisement