Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees

Options
  • 11-05-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Hi folks looking for bit of advice.. looking to see what best trees that won't grow too high.. looking at maybe max 20-25 foot.. based in west and have no idea.. garden gets sun pretty much all day.. any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi folks looking for bit of advice.. looking to see what best trees that won't grow too high.. looking at maybe max 20-25 foot.. based in west and have no idea.. garden gets sun pretty much all day.. any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated

Just off the top of my head
    Mountain ash(sorbus). There are a few varieties available in nurseries. Some of the crab apple (malus). What ever you choose, if your site is windy/exposed, allow for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Also Laburnum, Crataegus and Himalayan birch. Always stake trees well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

Also Laburnum, Crataegus and Himalayan birch. Always stake trees well.

These are good choices too. Crataegus Paul's Scarlet is v nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Hornbeam tree looks well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hornbeam would grow bigger than the OP wanted.

@OP, do you want them for screening, just general interest, etc.?
    how far west are you? i.e. are you exposed/near the coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Would it , I have one in that I thought would only get to around 25 foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

A bit of screening and just to decorate the garden a bit as not much there besides the grass.. roughly about 20 miles from coast but site is exposed. Would like something to add a bit of colour to garden.. would quite like a Japanese maple but don't have anywhere with much shade so not sure how that would work out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, it's not just the shade i'd worry about, it's the wind. i doubt a japanese maple would be massively happy.
    rowan, as mentioned above, should be happier but generally wouldn't have the same spreading habit, but can go a nice shade in the autumn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'd love a Hawthorn. And a time machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Irish Yew might work sometimes they hit 30feet. Tend to be nice and green and furry if you know what I mean. Japanese Acer is another idea. 10 to 12 feet.

Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭mehico

Irish Yew might work sometimes they hit 30feet. Tend to be nice and green and furry if you know what I mean. Japanese Acer is another idea. 10 to 12 feet.

Where would you get an Irish Yew do you know by any chance?

yew is very slow growing.
    when people mention irish yew, they're referring to a variety which was first found in ireland in the 18th century - it's the same species, just that it grows with a more upright habit. should be reasonably readily available.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hornbeam is more like 25m than 25ft. I have just put one in - a baby! - but its in the middle of a biggish space where it can grow to its full majestic size (though I doubt I will see it!).

Don't get a stand-alone Japanese Acer, it will not like the wind or the exposed site or the lack of shade. Holly is good, you can grow it as a large bush or take off the lower branches as it grows and make it be a tree. Crab apple, hawthorn and rowen as mentioned. Amelanchier is pretty, and most of the prunus (cherries) would be suitable. Some of the acers, with the exception of the Japanese ones and Sycamore are suitable - red acer makes a very nice tree and is absolutely no trouble.

Edit - the names Maple and Acer are being used interchangeably. They are all acers, within that some are maples, one is sycamore and some tend to just be called acers, they are all the same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

mehico wrote: »
    Where would you get an Irish Yew do you know by any chance?

Most garden centers can get hold of a 3ft one potted. It might take a week or two as almost everything seems sold out at the moment. If you keep an eye online at places like 'Future forests' that is a big teller when they are back on the market.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm in a similar position to the OP.

I have a long boundary wall 40m long and 3 meters high. Fairly well sheltered and Hoping for some screening for the houses behind, basically higher than the wall but not going 20m high.

I'm looking at a few of the trees mentioned, should I be worried about the roots interfering with the wall?

I also like the look of the Acacia Dealbata, but someone told me they don't grow well in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://futureforests.ie/products/robinia-pseudoacacia-frisia

This might be a tougher alternative to the Acacia - a friend of mine has acacia and while they are ok and alive, they are not showing any huge enthusiam to grow much bigger or fill out. The robinia is a bush but it is very hardy and you could trim off the lower growth to make it more tree like.

Edit - I had one that grew as a largish bush but I have just looked them up and apparently they are a tree.

Advertisement