Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir/Vodafone FTTH Upload Speeds.

• 11-05-2020 6:29pm

I got this in at my Mothers house a few days ago, got the 140 Mb package and phone, costing her the same as 70 on the FTTC so she might as well have the faster internet + I can download when I'm there! :D

Anyway, she's on Vodafone and the upload is only 30 Mbs, is this for real or what ? seems ridiculously low ? my 4G+ cam max out at 50 Mbs ( at times ).

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got this in at my Mothers house a few days ago, got the 140 Mb package and phone, costing her the same as 70 on the FTTC so she might as well have the faster internet + I can download when I'm there! :D

Anyway, she's on Vodafone and the upload is only 30 Mbs, is this for real or what ? seems ridiculously low ? my 4G+ cam max out at 50 Mbs ( at times ).

I presume you mean the 150 plan?
    Upload on that is 30.

Eir also do a 1000 plan and the upload on that is 100 which is the highest you can get on an Openeir line.

If you want much better upload speeds Siro is where it's at, but Siro is only available in select regional urban areas.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I presume you mean the 150 plan?
    Upload on that is 30.

Eir also do a 1000 plan and the upload on that is 100 which is the highest you can get on an Openeir line.

If you want much better upload speeds Siro is where it's at, but Siro is only available in select regional urban areas.

140 150 yeah sounds tight.

Mother of God, seriously, that's the max on Eir/Vodafone ?

Do they not understand People need to upload large amounts of data these days ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

140 150 yeah sounds tight.

Mother of God, seriously, that's the max on Eir/Vodafone ?

Do they not understand People need to upload large amounts of data these days ?

Large uploads have never been a thing on most broadband connections.

With mobile internet, you're lucky, they are not restricting it. It's generally reserved for business applications. But then you never know, how much download and upload you will have anywhere, as it's unknown contention.

So yes, that's a fairly normal upload speed. On FTTC / VDSL for example, the maximum upload achievable is 20 Mbit/s. On ADSL a LOT less.

/M

Upload these days is a lot more important, uploading to the cloud is becoming a lot more common and big files too. Working from home, all need decent upload speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Upload these days is a lot more important, uploading to the cloud is becoming a lot more common and big files too. Working from home, all need decent upload speeds.

1Gb will take about 5 mins over a 30Mbps upload. I can understand those with a few hundred GB of cloud storage having to wait hours for it all to initially upload, but the other side of it is, how often do you need to push that amount of data once it's there? The daily changes are probably minimal.

I'm more than your average typical remote worker (work in IT) and my upload is only 15% of what I download. I guess if we could see the stats from the ISPs it may help.

We have guys that work with large amounts of data but mostly that's held within the LAN environment and they remotely connect over the company VPN to the servers/PC hosting that data. They may have to pull a couple of GB a day down and up but it's just a few minutes to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I have 50meg upload with my plan, currently on the 300/50 plan with Eir (this plan is now discontinued), but I find that upload more than enough and I would upload more than many people would, such as big video files and the upload speed is grand. If I really wanted to I could go for the 1000/100 plan but I don't particularly want to pay an extra 20 euros a month for that.

If you need alot more than 50 or 100 upload you probably need a something better than a FTTH account for home use. I can't see Eir upgrading their upload ratio for several more years at least.

MBSnr wrote: »
    1Gb will take about 5 mins over a 30Mbps upload. I can understand those with a few hundred GB of cloud storage having to wait hours for it all to initially upload, but the other side of it is, how often do you need to push that amount of data once it's there? The daily changes are probably minimal.

I'm more than your average typical remote worker (work in IT) and my upload is only 15% of what I download. I guess if we could see the stats from the ISPs it may help.

We have guys that work with large amounts of data but mostly that's held within the LAN environment and they remotely connect over the company VPN to the servers/PC hosting that data. They may have to pull a couple of GB a day down and up but it's just a few minutes to do.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    I have 50meg upload with my plan, currently on the 300/50 plan with Eir (this plan is now discontinued), but I find that upload more than enough and I would upload more than many people would, such as big video files and the upload speed is grand. If I really wanted to I could go for the 1000/100 plan but I don't particularly want to pay an extra 20 euros a month for that.

If you need alot more than 50 or 100 upload you probably need a something better than a FTTH account for home use. I can't see Eir upgrading their upload ratio for several more years at least.

It's about getting the job done as fast as possible. 30 Mbs is a bit on the low side in fairness in 2020. At that Rate 5G will blow it away 4g+ already does.

What's the upload on Virgin ?

It's about getting the job done as fast as possible. 30 Mbs is a bit on the low side in fairness in 2020. At that Rate 5G will blow it away 4g+ already does.

What's the upload on Virgin ?

upload on Virgin is generally lower than Eir FTTH. I think it's about 50 on the 500 plan, 35 on the 360 plan and about 25 on the 250 plan.

I would agree that both Virgin and OpenEir should set their upload ratio a little better, there is certainly more than enough room for upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It's about getting the job done as fast as possible. 30 Mbs is a bit on the low side in fairness in 2020.

30 Mbit/s download is the required download to qualify for being considered under NGA type broadband under EU advisory from 2020 and onwards.

6 Mbit/s upload is the required download to qualify for being considered under NGA type broadband under EU advisory from 2020 and onwards.

So you're getting way in excess of what the EU has advised providers is needed.

And you can get higher uploads. You'll just have to pay for it. As others have said, if you order a Gbit/s FTTH connection, which you can get on the same connection you have now, then you have 100 Mbit/s upload. On SIRO even 200 Mbit/s with the option of going symmetric .. for a hefty price.

It's not the technology hindering you here. It's what you're willing to pay for it.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    30 Mbit/s download is the required download to qualify for being considered under NGA type broadband under EU advisory from 2020 and onwards.

6 Mbit/s upload is the required download to qualify for being considered under NGA type broadband under EU advisory from 2020 and onwards.

So you're getting way in excess of what the EU has advised providers is needed.

And you can get higher uploads. You'll just have to pay for it. As others have said, if you order a Gbit/s FTTH connection, which you can get on the same connection you have now, then you have 100 Mbit/s upload. On SIRO even 200 Mbit/s with the option of going symmetric .. for a hefty price.

It's not the technology hindering you here. It's what you're willing to pay for it.

/M

No, my connection is 4G+ it's my Mother who has the fibre.

You're correct, it's the tech companies being the usual greedy b1stards.

30 down and 6 Up ? shocking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    Put it this way - for a business line 200 up / 200 down with no contention and a 4 hr SLA, it's not far short of a 1000 Euro a month. This is in business parks that are wired for fibre using OpenEir's backbone or on the older eNet MAN. That MAN was paid for by the Gov (tax payers) and they will probably never get the money back on it. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/payback-on-176m-investment-unlikely-1.736503

Compared to prices that other offices pay in different parts of the world, it's nigh on criminal.

Advertisement