Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mav11 wrote: »
    That has cleared all the BS up! :D

Delighted to hear that....do the right thing:D

There really should be at least one man in the running to replace Sean O'Rourke.
    But why should there?

Are you in favour of gender quotas generally?

There’s a dichotomy between the green list and travel, especially non-essential travel (whatever that means). People flying off on holiday (inbound or outbound) isn’t essential. You can’t talk about people not travelling and then publish a green list - many of which cannot be accessed without going through an airport in another country. It’s at best, confusing, and at worst, contradictory. Sarah was spot on this morning

On the spectrum of clarity of message, with Jacinda Ahdern at one end, and the Donald at the other, we are moving steadily Donaldwards.

There’s a dichotomy between the green list and travel, especially non-essential travel (whatever that means). People flying off on holiday (inbound or outbound) isn’t essential. You can’t talk about people not travelling and then publish a green list - many of which cannot be accessed without going through an airport in another country. It’s at best, confusing, and at worst, contradictory. Sarah was spot on this morning

On the spectrum of clarity of message, with Jacinda Ahdern at one end, and the Donald at the other, we are moving steadily Donaldwards.

No.1.... Sarah referred to the GLCs (Green listed countries)as “safe” this morning.

She was not “spot on on that”.

No. 2 The GLCs are countries which if you have to go there and return from,or enter Ireland from, you dont have to self isolate for 14 days after arrival.

What the fuuherke is difficult about that.

FFS!!!!!

No.1.... Sarah referred to the GLCs (Green listed countries)as “safe” this morning.

No. 2 The GLCs are countries which if you have to go there and return from,or enter Ireland from, you dont have to self isolate for 14 days after arrival.

FFS!!!!!
    What are the criteria for essential travel to green-listed jurisdictions? Is a welfare visit to a relative sufficient? Are we to maintain local social distancing rules, or Irish ones? Who knows? I don't think any guidelines have been published.

What are the criteria for essential travel to green-listed jurisdictions? Is a welfare visit to a relative sufficient? Are we to maintain local social distancing rules, or Irish ones? Who knows? I don't think any guidelines have been published.

Ty.... when in Rome......

Look, coddling and joking aside, depends on the relatives situation.

Use your loaf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Delete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Try this, should sort everything out. No more confusion!!!

FFS!!!!!

OK, so they are not safe. Go it

• Advertisement

Ty.... when in Rome......

Look, coddling and joking aside, depends on the relatives situation.

Use your loaf.
    I know Brendan, but still. Cognitive dissonance or something. if someone misses a relative enough, they'll convince themselves of an excuse. I have a relative who is currently waiting for flights to reopen to his home city (Covid hotspot) to see his folks. Understandable, but not necessary travel.

I see no drawback to a robust, narrowly defined definition of necessary travel. If you don't strictly define it, you'll get some very dubious interpretations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Mav11 wrote:
    Part of her charm?

Turns me off (my radio too).

I know Brendan, but still. Cognitive dissonance or something. if someone misses a relative enough, they'll convince themselves of an excuse. I have a relative who is currently waiting for flights to reopen to his home city (Covid hotspot) to see his folks. Understandable, but not necessary travel.

I see no drawback to a robust, narrowly defined definition of necessary travel. If you don't strictly define it, you'll get some very dubious interpretations.

Ty, they would probably end up like the rules of golf. 160 page book.

Whooooy?

Because the have to cover every possible situation that can occur in almost legalese language.

Unfortunately the situation we are in precludes the ‘aaah sure’ approach so beloved of the Irish.

Of course there will be hard cases,but hey, what can we do.

An interesting question, the Brenner hits off to say Ibiza for the ten days, has a good time, in the clubs, giving it socks.

Comes back mixes with loads of folk, not a bother, tests positive as do ten or twenty of the people he was mixing with.

The Brenner admits to heading off to Spain.... what sanctions can be brought against him.

Very obvious he is the ‘carrier’.

Any idea.?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

First Up wrote: »
    I know she is looking nervously over her shoulder at Claire Byrne but someone should tell her that shrill interruptions won't help her keep the job.

So you wanted to hear more of Sammy Wilson's ramblings?

Stewball wrote:
    So you wanted to hear more of Sammy Wilson's ramblings?

She was interrupting others as it happens but good interviewers listen to what is said before asking the next question. If someone is rambling on, then fair enough but she was cutting across people who had barely got a sentence out.

She was interrupting others as it happens but good interviewers listen to what is said before asking the next question. If someone is rambling on, then fair enough but she was cutting across people who had barely got a sentence out.

That’s learned from the Vincent Browne book of ‘Flashbang’ interviewing.

We all know what a Flashbang is.

It’s a flash grenade used by usually police to break up a riot by disorientating the rioters with loud bright ‘flashes and smoke’ from hand propelled devices from several different angles.

That was the VB tactic, start firing questions at the subject and then when he/she is confused start interrupting after the first sentence of the answer with another question, that is known as the ‘Flashbang’ and eventually when a few of these are tossed in the poor subject doesn’t know where they are.

Sarah tries that quite a bit.

The antidote of course is to stop, let her complete the second question and ask her to repeat the first question again “So I can address it fully”

Do not under any circumstances try to match the tempo of her questioning, you are a goner if you try that.

The odds are stacked against you, play to YOUR tempo.

Not easy, but nothing is easy in that situation.

• Advertisement

Addendum, a very good example is going on right now on Drivetime with Boucher - Hayes.

Don’t know who the Minister is , but he is not going down the rabbit hole.

The Brenner admits to heading off to Spain.... what sanctions can be brought against him.

Very obvious he is the ‘carrier’.

Any idea.?
    Not sure we should have any criminal sanctions, otherwise people will avoid engagement with the health services.

But there is a certain social stigma in breaching guidelines, we saw that ourselves at the outset of the Lockdown, before it was legally enforced.

So give us strict travel guidelines, narrowly defined limits on travel, and let the public mood police it.

Not sure we should have any criminal sanctions, otherwise people will avoid engagement with the health services.

But there is a certain social stigma in breaching guidelines, we saw that ourselves at the outset of the Lockdown, before it was legally enforced.

So give us strict travel guidelines, narrowly defined limits on travel, and let the public mood police it.

Ty, we have strict guidelines, don’t travel abroad.

All this ‘confusion’ is being hyped by the airlines and travel industry and hospitality sector, and the media.

It’s totally transparent........don’t travel abroad.

Here’s Eoin Corry......

VESTED INTEREST LOUD AND CLEAR.

That’s learned from the Vincent Browne book of ‘Flashbang’ interviewing.

The Morning Ireland crew are big into it too. They think it makes them sound assertive, whereas it just makes them sound rude.

They could learn a lot from the BBC Radio 4 Today team. They invite interviewees to talk themselves into trouble, never interrupting while they do.
    The antidote of course is to stop, let her complete the second question and ask her to repeat the first question again “So I can address it fullyâ€

Simon Coveney is one of the better ones at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Here’s Eoin Corry......

VESTED INTEREST LOUD AND CLEAR.

Must be a special rule that they have to contact this guy anytime there's a travel related discussion. Seems to be on every other day. Are there no other travel reporters in the country?

The Morning Ireland crew are big into it too. They think it makes them sound assertive, whereas it just makes them sound rude.

They could learn a lot from the BBC Radio 4 Today team. They invite interviewees to talk themselves into trouble, never interrupting while they do.

Simon Coveney is one of the better ones at that.

Wellllll..... Nick Robinson .......Today...no slouch, but usually apologizes

But they are certainly better at cutting off the waffling.

Must be a special rule that they have to contact this guy anytime there's a travel related discussion. Seems to be on every other day. Are there no other travel reporters in the country?

Must have a link with the ACARS system, spends most of his time in the air, it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must have a link with the ACARS system, spends most of his time in the air, it seems.

I'd say you'd rack up some carbon footprint printing out his carbon footprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Ty, we have strict guidelines, don’t travel abroad.

All this ‘confusion’ is being hyped by the airlines and travel industry and hospitality sector, and the media.

It’s totally transparent........don’t travel abroad.

I have to agree with this. I went through the government advice on travel (including the new Green List) in my head today...just to check if I had been missing something in the advice, as I keep hearing on the radio (and reading) about the supposed confusion around it all. But nothing changed and it's still very clear and straightforward to me.

...and those looking for an excuse to justify going on a foreign holiday and some politicians.

Agreed on this. Justin Webb and Martha Kearney in particular. Kearney is one of the few BBC journalists who knows Northern Ireland inside out, she eviscerated a fair number of bumbling Tories during in the run-up to the Brexit Agreement, very meticulously, without ever losing her temper.

I think Sarah McInerney comes close but I don't suppose you agree.

Agreed on this. Justin Webb and Martha Kearney in particular. Kearney is one of the few BBC journalists who knows Northern Ireland inside out, she eviscerated a fair number of bumbling Tories during in the run-up to the Brexit Agreement, very meticulously, without ever losing her temper.

I think Sarah McInerney comes close but I don't suppose you agree.

Well, FWIW, I agree. The main difference is that Martha has ten years experience behind her to call upon. I think Sarah started pretty well, has learned quickly and is stamping her authority on the show.

Lord, I fear that there will be a ratcheting up of the behind-the-scenes maneuvering of NKTM, and that RTÉ will do something daft and ill advised, and hand the show over to someone in the “stable”.

Well, FWIW, I agree. The main difference is that Martha has ten years experience behind her to call upon. I think Sarah started pretty well, has learned quickly and is stamping her authority on the show.

Stamping her foot more like. She can be quite good when she keeps her cool but gets excited too easily.

Stamping her foot more like. She can be quite good when she keeps her cool but gets excited too easily.

Keeping your cool comes, in part, with experience; that’s my point really. Sarah’s not perfect, but she’s doing well and getting better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Was in a newsagents today picking up a paper. Claire Byrne's noggin staring at me from some 'Country Life' magazine (or similar).

Noel's winning the exposure war anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

KevRossi wrote: »
    Was in a newsagents today picking up a paper. Claire Byrne's noggin staring at me from some 'Country Life' magazine (or similar).

Noel's winning the exposure war anyway.

If he is having to do this much she's obviously not the "chosen" one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

Very hard to listen to her interviews as she adopts a got ya philosophy on every question she asks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

bookman2 wrote: »
    Very hard to listen to her interviews as she adopts a got ya philosophy on every question she asks!

Are you listening to Sarahs interview with Leo ? , Leo is tying himself up in knots and Sarah is well able to push when required - Sarah is well prepped for this interview.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Are you listening to Sarahs interview with Leo ? , Leo is tying himself up in knots and Sarah is well able to push when required - Sarah is well prepped for this interview.

It’s a bizarre way to interview someone it’s like being interviewed by a lawyer!

Crazy carryon from her when asking her about the green list . It’s quite clear the advice yet she just didn’t want to understand.

It’s a bizarre way to interview someone it’s like being interviewed by a lawyer!

Crazy carryon from her when asking her about the green list . It’s quite clear the advice yet she just didn’t want to understand.

How was it crazy carry on ? , mixed messaging and 3 FF ministers saying the opposite would leave confusion.

Mixed messaging continued with the staycation and the tax refund re Failte Ireland AND the Vat rate cut and if it was to be passed on (Leo says no and Pascal says Yes....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Hazel Chu yet again

That’s been the m.o. of the media on this from day one.

‘Coming the auld soldier’ strategy it’s called.

“This is the advice, unless your foreign travel is essential don’t go.

If you go,you will have to restrict movement for two weeks on return except from these listed countries.“

Aaaaaaaaahh Heeeeeyur....... what does all that stuff mean , shure we are only ordinary people ,we couldn’t understand that .....the lads on the wireless cannnot make head nor tail of it too.We’re only the auld ghillies.

“Listen Joe, just on the internet and there’s a great deal to Monaco, we’ll
    get Ryanair to Stanstead, surface to Gatwick an Easyjet to Nice, and then on to Monaco by taxi.
    I’ve booked the car and the hotel and we’ll be coming back via Paris and City Jet to Dublin.Ive prebooked the seats and baggage allowance is 20kgs.

Joe “ jaysus whar about the self isolation??

Maisie.” Whah...... we’ ll just come the auld soldier...it’ll be grandt”?

So clear that FG Eimear Higgins on Sarahs Friday panel just said the opposite to Leo.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Poor Leo got an eye opener on interview preparation, seems he wasn't aware the staycation tax refund can only be availed of when spending money in a premises that is Failte Ireland registered, indeed Adrian Cummins from THE RAI texted Sarah to confirm this is the case, Leo caught out. I could sense Adrian having a good snigger.

I wondered how many Pubs, Restaurants are actually registered with Failte Ireland? Not many I suspect, absolute shambles of an idea anyway.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

jay0109 wrote: »
    Hazel Chu yet again
    Has she told us we're racist yet? :confused:

Infoanon wrote: »
    How was it crazy carry on ? , mixed messaging and 3 FF ministers saying the opposite would leave confusion.

Mixed messaging continued with the staycation and the tax refund re Failte Ireland AND the Vat rate cut and if it was to be passed on (Leo says no and Pascal says Yes....)

I must have missed this --what 3 ministers said the opposite?

The government advice is to staycation but if you want to go foreign you won't have to quarantine if you go to countries on green list. If you go anywhere else you have to do 14 day quarantine when you come back.

What is so hard to understand with this?

the gotcha type interview is bizzarre-- why would anyone want to go on her show to be interviewed? She should have a look at how Pat kenny or clare byrne ask questions. Even Ivan Yates who we all know is opinionated doesn't carry on like that.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Poor Leo got an eye opener on interview preparation, seems he wasn't aware the staycation tax refund can only be availed of when spending money in a premises that is Failte Ireland registered, indeed Adrian Cummins from THE RAI texted Sarah to confirm this is the case, Leo caught out. I could sense Adrian having a good snigger.

I wondered how many Pubs, Restaurants are actually registered with Failte Ireland? Not many I suspect, absolute shambles of an idea anyway.

Registered!!!

Pat doesn’t do registering........unless he has to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

jay0109 wrote: »
    Hazel Chu yet again
    Has she told us we're racist yet? :confused:

Lord Mayor of Dublin, first citizen of the capital city.

An interesting guest on any radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

elperello wrote: »
    Lord Mayor of Dublin, first citizen of the capital city.

An interesting guest on any radio show.
    She is somewhat interesting, not nearly interesting enough for the amount of airtime she gets IMO. And she is fond of playing the race card a bit too much too. Yes we know you are of Chinese descent, big deal, get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Just listened back to the show from this morning. She was seriously good, such an improvement from her days in newstalk. I thought Claire Byrne was good. But hands down Sarah mcinerney is better. She is super I really hope she keeps the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

She is somewhat interesting, not nearly interesting enough for the amount of airtime she gets IMO. And she is fond of playing the race card a bit too much too. Yes we know you are of Chinese descent, big deal, get on with it.

Probably has something to do with the amount of time she experiences 'You're Chinese, not Irish'.

She's Irish, get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Dempo1 wrote: »

Varadkar also messed up regarding the travel ban on Irish people entering the USA.

Not a good morning from the Tánaiste/Taoiseach - early mornings mustn't suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Probably has something to do with the amount of time she experiences 'You're Chinese, not Irish'.

She's Irish, get on with it.

Yes, she must be sick of people mentioning race every time her name is mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

serfboard wrote: »
    Have to say, I think that there's something quite "unclassy" about this "RTE insider" bullshít about Claire being the favoured one - and now being followed up with these media articles. It has all the hallmarks of a PR campaign, and I find it a bit distasteful.

Anyway, what is the point of it? Surely the management in RTE are supposed to know how this stuff works, and so should be immune to it? Are they trying to generate some letters into the oul' RTE Mailbag to suggest that Claire is the people's favourite, and thus should get the job?

I think Claire already has the job and it is just waiting to be announced at this stage. Her soft interview saying she really wants the job wouldnt have happened if she didnt already know she had it. Same with Miriam saying she didnt want the job, she did want it but came out and said she didnt because she was told Claire has got it so said that to save face.

Sarah is probably likely to end up on Prime Time now as David McCulloghs replacement. She will do well there but personally I would have preferred to see her stay on the Today show. I think she has done very well in this 3 month stint and with another 3 or 4 months to hone her skills further she could have been a great host of the show. I think Claire Byrne is definitely better than Miriam at interviewing Ministers but also think that Sarah has a higher ceiling to reach than Claires ceiling that has been reached already.

I had expected Claire Byrne to get the job straight after Sean O'Rourke. She had a proven track record. Sarah McInerney was a new name to me. No harm she was given a shot at it but she has struggled and probably needed a longer apprenticeship.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement