Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Infoanon wrote: »
    Charlie is just ranting

Is Charlie still bitter that no one in Washington knew who he was

Charlie please give it a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Nothing parties like Covid......

Thumbleweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Group think alive and well in Ireland.

Just back from a lovely week in Rome. Great atmosphere, everyone enjoying the lovely weather, great restaurants and bars. Everything operating normally including all the museums and historic buildings/ monuments (with good adherence to sensible Covid 19 restrictions everywhere).
    Lower incidence than Ireland. No panic or paranoia (despite the really rough time they had early on). Everyone we spoke with - taxi drivers, hotel staff, restaurant staff - all positive and upbeat and optimistic for the future.

Meanwhile back in the 'Island of Fear' the blaming, negativity and moral superiority abounds as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

She has a bizarre way of interviewing.. tried to get this chap o donovan to say he wanted off licenses closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

He wouldn't fill me with confidence that lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Group think alive and well in Ireland.

Just back from a lovely week in Rome. Great atmosphere, everyone enjoying the lovely weather, great restaurants and bars. Everything operating normally including all the museums and historic buildings/ monuments (with good adherence to sensible Covid 19 restrictions everywhere).
    Lower incidence than Ireland. No panic or paranoia (despite the really rough time they had early on). Everyone we spoke with - taxi drivers, hotel staff, restaurant staff - all positive and upbeat and optimistic for the future.

Meanwhile back in the 'Island of Fear' the blaming, negativity and moral superiority abounds as usual.

Glad you had a good time. Italy certainly had a rough harrowing time early on, but fair to say the spread was very concentrated in an industrial area in the north of the country. A lot of areas, including lazio, got off very lightly and contribute a very low percentage (less than 3%) of total number of cases and deaths. So I'm not sure how robust it is as a point of comparison.

bookman2 wrote: »
    She has a bizarre way of interviewing.. tried to get this chap o donovan to say he wanted off licenses closed...

was he a publican or member of the vintners federation? there were pub groups calling for supermarkets and off licenses to be closed down a few weeks ago

I could put up with it when she was on newstalk as her wages were not paid by public license fee.

How she managed to get to RTE. Dumbfounding.

neris wrote: »
    was he a publican or member of the vintners federation? there were pub groups calling for supermarkets and off licenses to be closed down a few weeks ago

no it was the TD patrick o donovan. she seems to go into interviews with an agenda -and keeps asking the same question. I can't understand why anyone would want to be interviewed by her.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    I could put up with it when she was on newstalk as her wages were not paid by public license fee.

How she managed to get to RTE. Dumbfounding.

i presume she hasn't got this gig full time?

When it was announced it was until "Autumn"

*Taps foot*

Not if Claire Byrne and her PR blitz a few weeks ago have got anything to do with it she wont

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Is Charlie Birds head about to explode?

For someone who takes long walks in the solitude of the Wicklow hills-Charlie sounds worryingly overwrought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Infoanon wrote: »
    Charlie is just ranting.

If he listened to what the Doctor said he would be able to back up his argument alas he's too busy ranting about 'throwing away the keys'

It's all about Charlie, it always was.
    Back when he was a reporter it was all about Charlie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

imme wrote: »
    It's all about Charlie, it always was.
    Back when he was a reporter it was all about Charlie.

Are was is simply RTE getting Charlie to set the agenda 'it's the under 45s that should be locked up'.

Hence Sarah pushing the close the off licence agenda.

Listening to the 11am news headlines I expect Charlies'rant' that the' over 70s have had enough' agenda to continue through out the day.

Reminds me of a few weeks ago when Sarahs show was rallying against the notion of local lock downs only for them to be announced later that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Stewball

Hopefully she does get it full time.

The show has been worth listening to again since she took over in May.
    The love in between Claire Byrne and government TDs will be sickening to listen to five days a week throughout the winter.

Stewball wrote: »

can't agree with this-- but each to there own!

• Advertisement

can't agree with this-- but each to there own!

she shouldn't be on radio. She's not good at it.

Her voice doesn't suit it, she doesn't have the personality for it.

Complete waste of public money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You forgot to add "in your opinion".

Personally, I think she's been fantastic. With a few exceptions, but who doesn't have those.

I'd be delighted if she got the gig full-time.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You forgot to add "in your opinion".

Personally, I think she's been fantastic. With a few exceptions, but who doesn't have those.

I'd be delighted if she got the gig full-time.

check her newstalk thread.

I think it's in the majorities opinion.

Some people are just not made for it. She's one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I would argue that this thread has had far more positive than negative comments about her stint on the show. In addition, the few people I know who listen to the show are also very positive in their praise for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why would I check her newstalk thread when it's an RTE show under discussion? :confused:

And again, you forgot to add "in your opinion"

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Why would I check her newstalk thread when it's an RTE show under discussion? :confused:

And again, you forgot to add "in your opinion"

Because I was discussing her lack of talent in general, it's not exclusive to this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

We must be days away from hearing about Sean's replacement?

I'm hoping for Bryan Dobson.

We must be days away from hearing about Sean's replacement?

I'm hoping for Bryan Dobson.

maybe Ivan Yates!

Think they should go for someone younger tho. In my opinion they should put McInerney on the late debate show her 'gotcha' interview style would be good on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

no it was the TD patrick o donovan. she seems to go into interviews with an agenda -and keeps asking the same question. I can't understand why anyone would want to be interviewed by her.

In all fairness, he was being a bit evasive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Glad you had a good time. Italy certainly had a rough harrowing time early on, but fair to say the spread was very concentrated in an industrial area in the north of the country. A lot of areas, including lazio, got off very lightly and contribute a very low percentage (less than 3%) of total number of cases and deaths. So I'm not sure how robust it is as a point of comparison.

Fair enough.
    I do agree with Charlie Bird (I cannot actually believe I have typed that!!). The prevailing tone in our media regarding this issue is fearful, over dramatic and condescending.
    There must be room for dissenting views - and rational debate about how we live with this virus while getting on with our lives.
    I would be worried about publicly disagreeing with the general consensus at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Subjective opinion.

Here's my subjective opinion, while all her interviews may not have been 100%, overall she's been very good since she got the gig and on performance deserves the slot.

• Advertisement

The Newstalk show didn't work well because of the little lad she had co hosting with her. He isn't involved in radio anymore because he was useless.

Last I heard he works as a spin doctor for Varadkar.

Not sure the side kick has any impact on her grating voice.

Her lack of knowedlge on most subjects.

Her constantly talking over guests and not letting them answer.

He wasn't great. But I don't think he was much to blame for her obvious lack of radio talent

I’m hoping Sarah does get it full time. In my opinion, she has a good voice, she speaks clearly, with a bit of animation and intonation, not the drone of some presenters. She’s articulate, knowledgeable and versatile enough not to be afraid of having a laugh in the right circumstances. And she’s getting better as far as I am concerned

It shouldn’t be Buggin’s Turn, despite whoever Buggin’s agent is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’m hoping Sarah does get it full time. In my opinion, she has a good voice, she speaks clearly, with a bit of animation and intonation, not the drone of some presenters. She’s articulate, knowledgeable and versatile enough not to be afraid of having a laugh in the right circumstances. And she’s getting better as far as I am concerned

It shouldn’t be Buggin’s Turn, despite the fact that Buggin’s agent is probably Noel Kelly.

What would she say herself..........

“ You’ve told us all that before” or something like that :cool:

It shouldn’t be Buggin’s Turn, despite whoever Buggin’s agent is.

:eek:

She speaks like a confused squeaky teenager.

Articulate ?

I feel like I'm been trolled here.

Articulate ?

Maybe you're just wrong and everyone else is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

In my opinion she’s much better on this show than she was Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Fair enough.
    I do agree with Charlie Bird (I cannot actually believe I have typed that!!). The prevailing tone in our media regarding this issue is fearful, over dramatic and condescending.
    There must be room for dissenting views - and rational debate about how we live with this virus while getting on with our lives.
    I would be worried about publicly disagreeing with the general consensus at the moment.

He was being hysterical. No one is stopping him leaving his house if he wants to. No one made him pay €700 for two flights and cancel them.

No one is stopping Charlie from living his life. The way he was talking this morning. You could be forgiven for thinking that stormtroopers where on the streets. Locking everyone over 70 up.

He sounded like one of the regulars on LiveLine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Not sure the side kick has any impact on her grating voice.

Her lack of knowedlge on most subjects.

Her constantly talking over guests and not letting them answer.

He wasn't great. But I don't think he was much to blame for her obvious lack of radio talent

Take it you haven't read through this thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103953550 solely about the delectable Sarah's voice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Totally disagree

I’d choose her over Claire Byrne and goes without saying she’s far better than “genuinely”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The show has been worth listening to again since she took over in May.
    The love in between Claire Byrne and government TDs will be sickening to listen to five days a week throughout the winter.

Fully agree

Claire Byrne treats interviews with govt tds like a fluffy lifestyle segment where everyone has a laugh.

Way too buddy buddy

As for Miriam she treats it like a group counseling session - no thank you !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I wouldn't have too many complaints if Sarah got job.

She's not perfect, but there's nothing that can't be fixed with experience and a little guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

I think Sarah Mc is doing well. I was thinking today that I hadn’t heard Brian Dowling on political slots in recent times. Is he still with RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    I think Sarah Mc is doing well. I was thinking today that I hadn’t heard Brian Dowling on political slots in recent times. Is he still with RTE?

Bryan Dobson? He's one of the presenters on Morning Ireland these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Ahwell wrote: »
    Bryan Dobson? He's one of the presenters on Morning Ireland these days.

Different Brian - he was on The Week in Politics a bit last year. Has a Dublin accent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Different Brian - he was on The Week in Politics a bit last year. Has a Dublin accent

I know who you're talking about now, I haven't seen/heard him in ages either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Checked his linked in. Now RTE head of editorial standards, whatever that involves, so just took the big leap into management circles, twould seem.

Maybe you're just wrong and everyone else is right.

It wouldn't be the first time.

But I just went back and read the first 3/4 pages of the thread.

Nope, not just me . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Articulate ?

Whether you like her or not is fair enough but having a go at her voice is not on.

She had a beautiful voice so soothing.

• Advertisement

Whether you like her or not is fair enough but having a go at her voice is not on.

She had a beautiful voice so soothing.

Not having a go, it's just not suitable for Radio.

The same way mine isn't and most people's isn't.

It's grating.

It's child like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement