Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

This decision makes no sense, except from the point of view that it was Claire's "turn". I was never a fan of Sarah on NT, but since she has been on the Today show she has done fine. We already have one dull as dishwater presenter in Mary Wilson, and now we have another in Claire Byrne.

And why oh why would they call the show The Today Show With Sarah McInerney for the last few months? This gave the impression that to both her and the audience that she was in it for the long term. Only to take the keys out of her hand, and throw them to Claire Byrne. Even in a situation where you think that it is not possible to make a balls up, RTE will manage to make a balls up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

This decision makes no sense, except from the point of view that it was Claire's "turn". I was never a fan of Sarah on NT, but since she has been on the Today show she has done fine. We already have one dull as dishwater presenter in Mary Wilson, and now we have another in Claire Byrne.

And why oh why would they call the show The Today Show With Sarah McInerney for the last few months? This gave the impression that to both her and the audience that she was in it for the long term. Only to take the keys out of her hand, and throw them to Claire Byrne. Even in a situation where you think that it is not possible to make a balls up, RTE will manage to make a balls up.

Why would she think that when the announcement was made months ago it was stated she will be there until autumn.

Sounds like she was never in the running regardless of what happened over that period. She's lucky to have got that stint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I’ll say one thing for you Gerr there’s no grey areas with you.

The keys were never in her hand Gerry, you don’t really reason anything just make a statement and pronounce everyone else wrong:D

Have to hand it to ya dude

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Disappointing news. Sarah has given the "Today" show a much-needed shot in the arm since taking over. I'd given up listening to Sean O'Rourke as he seemed to have lost his enthusiasm for the job. Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter but I'd imagine most government departments and ministers will be happy with the news that Sarah hasn't been given the permanent gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Disappointed with that, Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter, but she's not a journalist so shouldn't even have been considered.

Should have stuck with Sarah imo.

Neither is Pat Kenny, Ivan Yates, Kieran Cuddihy, Vincent Browne, Eamon Dunphy.......

Edited to add. According to her wikipedia page, Clare studied jounalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Big missed opportunity Sarah Mcinerney was excellent I thought really grew into it, Claire Byrne is just meh, handy she has the same agent as most of the other RTE talent....odd that.

I am sure someone else will snap Sarah Mcinerney up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Neither is Pat Kenny, Ivan Yates, Kieran Cuddihy, Vincent Browne, Eamon Dunphy.......
    Vincent Browne was a print journalist and edited several publications before his career in broadcasting. Dunphy was a soccer reporter - as distinct from a columnist - early in his career after retiring as a footballer. I think it was Browne who hired him for the Sunday Tribune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

Perhalps Sarah will replace Joe Duffy who is leaving his slot to work on a yet to be announced project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Disappointing news. Sarah has given the "Today" show a much-needed shot in the arm since taking over. I'd given up listening to Sean O'Rourke as he seemed to have lost his enthusiasm for the job. Claire Byrne is a very capable presenter but I'd imagine most government departments and ministers will be happy with the news that Sarah hasn't been given the permanent gig.

Have to say I'm with you on this.

Never really got stuck into SOR after he left the News at One. Sarah has been fantastic.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    Vincent Browne was a print journalist and edited several publications before his career in broadcasting. Dunphy was a soccer reporter - as distinct from a columnist - early in his career after retiring as a footballer. I think it was Browne who hired him for the Sunday Tribune.

Clare Byrne was writing in the Tribune 15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Clare Byrne was writing in the Tribune 15 years ago.

Even poor old Del Monte freelanced for the Tribune should he have gone for the job? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Poor Sarah never stood a chance.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Even poor old Del Monte freelanced for the Tribune should he have gone for the job? :D

That depends, has he spent several years hosting a top current affairs program?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think that Newstalk presenters are told to be opinionated andcontroversial, the more opinionated the better e.g. George Hook, Ivan Yeats, Ciara Kelly, etc. Sarah McInerney suffered from this when she was with Newstalk. In the role with Rte, I thought she was much better, knowledgeable on issues but not bland. Currently I switch between her and Pat Kenny depending on the topic, I will be sticking with Pat in the future

gmisk wrote: »
    Big missed opportunity Sarah Mcinerney was excellent I thought really grew into it, Claire Byrne is just meh, handy she has the same agent as most of the other RTE talent....odd that.

I am sure someone else will snap Sarah Mcinerney up.

If she hadn't already been on NT then I think that this would have really upped her chances in getting a role there. Particularly as it was known over last few months that Ivans time was coming to an end.

Is Clare going to continue hosting Clare Byrne live?

Might be a change in TV schedule which would help Sarah, or maybe with Ivan's departure, she might be considered for the tonight show on Virgin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It seems to have escaped some peoples' notice the the art of journalism is to reveal information. Good radio interviewers do that by asking questions and letting the answers speak for themselves. Ask, listen, ask another. That's how it's done

Sean O'Rourke is good at it. Remember his filleting of Maria Bailey over Swing Gate - just by asking questions. McInerney would have just interrupted her and all we would have learned is how tough she was trying to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

First Up wrote: »
    It seems to have escaped some peoples' notice the the art of journalism is to reveal information. Good radio interviewers do that by asking questions and letting the answers speak for themselves. Ask, listen, ask another. That's how it's done

Sean O'Rourke is good at it. Remember his filleting of Maria Bailey over Swing Gate - just by asking questions. McInerney would have just interrupted her and all we would have learned is how tough she was trying to be.

And the art of the political interview is never to reveal information by answering the question asked. SM would have shown persistence in extracting the required information.

Mav11 wrote:
    And the art of the political interview is never to reveal information by answering the question asked. SM would have shown persistence in extracting the required information.

All good interviewers are persistent but some have more strings to their bow than just interrupting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭boardise

Thank God mcInerney didnt get it. Shes horrendous

Good news . Byrne can't be worse than McInerney.
    Awful voice , over combative and flippant style. Sarah will probably find some niche but this wasn't it imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All good interviewers are persistent but some have more strings to their bow than just interrupting.

Sarah being one of them.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Sarah being one of them.

She'd be much better if she used some of them more often.

She'd be much better if she used some of them more often.

She did!! So subtle you must have missed them.:D

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sarah being one of them.

Interrupting people and getting stroppy is not a technique. It's lack of experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

limnam wrote: »
    Interrupting people and getting stroppy is not a technique. It's lack of experience
    You must have been listening to different shows than me then. The only stroppy person I can see is posting in this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

Sarah McInerney was fantastic in this slot. A real revelation. Very intelligent incisive questioning.

This is great news though: since Ivan left the 4-7 slot on newstalk evening radio has been pretty bland. Now Sarah is free to be poached by newstalk for that gig. And between Claire Byrne and Pat Kenny the morning will be ok. Just the 12-1 slot will be a low point really now.

As I type this I realise working from home since March has made me way too invested in daytime radio to have on in the background.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The only stroppy person I can see is posting in this thread!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not a chance I will listen to the Anointed One. Well maybe that is what they are relying on, you know the nosey element.

I really hope that Sarah mc Inerneny has been offered another gig that suits her better,

Back to PAT KENNY for me. At least he doesn't rely on the license.

Fian wrote: »
    Sarah McInerney was fantastic in this slot. A real revelation. Very intelligent incisive questioning.

This is great news though: since Ivan left the 4-7 slot on newstalk evening radio has been pretty bland. Now Sarah is free to be poached by newstalk for that gig. And between Claire Byrne and Pat Kenny the morning will be ok. Just the 12-1 slot will be a low point really now.

As I type this I realise working from home since March has made me way too invested in daytime radio to have on in the background.

NT have already announced their autumn schedule and the 4-7 slot is already filled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Newstalk reject more like.

Didn’t CB move from NT too. I don’t mind either of them presenting the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Although I think they’re both ok Sarah would do a better job than either Ciara Kelly or Andrea Gilligan for Newstalk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Didn’t CB move from NT too. I don’t mind either of them presenting the show.
    She did indeed. She used to present the Breakfast Show with Ger Gilroy. If memory serves me correct, he left, Ivan came in, Claire moved out after a while.

While it's disappointing to see, we knew Sarah would only be in the seat for the summer. She played a blinder in my opinion.

I'll give Claire a listen, if it's in anyway resembling her TV show, I'm out.

Another NK stabled horse in the RTE ring, you'd wonder sometimes who's running the fcuking place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭AJB39

If she hadn't already been on NT then I think that this would have really upped her chances in getting a role there. Particularly as it was known over last few months that Ivans time was coming to an end.

Is Clare going to continue hosting Clare Byrne live?

Might be a change in TV schedule which would help Sarah, or maybe with Ivan's departure, she might be considered for the tonight show on Virgin.

According to the story on the RTÉ website Claire Byrne Live will return next month. Apparently she is going to do both programmes. There is a vacancy on the News at One now that Claire has left her slot there. There is also a vacancy on Prime Time with David McCullagh moving to do the Six One News. Perhaps Sarah McInerney could be considered for one or other or both of these jobs.

Although I think they’re both ok Sarah would do a better job than either Ciara Kelly or Andrea Gilligan for Newstalk

Thats not saying a lot

Thats not saying a lot

Is it jealousy?

Is it jealousy?

Between the 3 of them?

Between the 3 of them?

No, your disdain for broadcasters who are demonstrably good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Thats not saying a lot

Jaysus, man! Did she knock you back in college, or something?:pac:

Oh,

Ciara Kelly is a dr who tricked her way into her own show

the other reads the news.

I was just saying. Sarah Mc been better than that is not exactly an endorsement.

I'm not a broadcaster good or bad nor any desire to be. What would I be jealous of exactly. I just want to hear good radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Please demonstrate so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

I think she'd be ok on cbeebies or similar
    A position way too highbrow for you then?

limnam wrote:

Her lack of experience is part of it but all news and current affairs shows on RTE radio have a culture of "gotcha" style interviews. We'll see if Clare Byrne can defy the producers and allow people to talk.

McInerney has some good qualities. She just needs to learn (or be trained) how to extract information from the people she interviews.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    A position way too highbrow for you then?

Why are you getting personal with me?

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    She did indeed. She used to present the Breakfast Show with Ger Gilroy. If memory serves me correct, he left, Ivan came in, Claire moved out after a while.

While it's disappointing to see, we knew Sarah would only be in the seat for the summer. She played a blinder in my opinion.

I'll give Claire a listen, if it's in anyway resembling her TV show, I'm out.

Another NK stabled horse in the RTE ring, you'd wonder sometimes who's running the fcuking place.

Exactly. Is nobody out there asking questions as to why the ceo of one private company seems to hold the key as to who gets the top presenting jobs on our public broadcaster, who all come from his own agency? To me that harks back to the stuff of the old FF/Haughey era.

I'm presuming his offers RTE the advantage that he will look after all the good publicity on their behalf. But it seems to me, at least, he plays a very significant role in the running of the national publicly-funded broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I can predict the future (except for winning lotto numbers!)

I predict there will be a glowing interview in the Indo with Claire Byrne telling us all about how she juggles a hectic media career with a busy family life! Just wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

In your opinion.

FWIW, I think McInerney has been good in this role and has improved considerably from her Newstalk days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

bureau2009 wrote: »
    I can predict the future (except for winning lotto numbers!)

I predict there will be a glowing interview in the Indo with Claire Byrne telling us all about how she juggles a hectic media career with a busy family life! Just wait and see!

Not forgetting her COVID diagnosis and dramatic hosting of a programme from her (newly built) garden shed.

- She may forget to mention that she did it so she'd be paid for the couple of weeks and that it was poor watching for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I wonder will Sarah be given the opportunity to interview SO'R about his attendance at the infamous golf dinner in Clifden before she leaves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Grand quiet show for Sarah on her last day... :pac:

dulpit wrote: »

Pity she is not there next week!! Plenty of ammo for CB to be getting on with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

dulpit wrote: »

The promo for the show at about 9:35 must’ve been recorded yesterday.

Started off talking about the Democratic Convention.

😂

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement