Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today Show with Sarah McInerney

1141516171820»

Comments

s8n wrote: »
    its amazing how critical ye all were on here when she was with NT but are all "painting the radio" with collective jerk off now
    Bit unfair. Chris Donoghue Donoghue probably held her back, and now she's proven herself as an excellent broadcaster. Good on her! People are always grumbling about this forum as being too negative, well here's a broadcaster that people really seem to enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yer a gobshyte!

Always wanted to say that and this is a close as I'll get :pac:

You're fired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Cole

You can all calm down now from the excitement of her amazing, unprecedented performance today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

KevRossi wrote: »
    The next crisis won't be too far away, it will be interesting to see how Claire Byrne responds to it compared to Sarah McInerney. Her first hour today should be compulsory listening for any media studies student, or any budding journalist. She was interrupting a lot, but IMO she was prempting some waffle that they usually come out with. Kept a fast moving and fast changing story going at full titlt.

The bar has been set for Claire Byrne, lets see if she can reach it.

Edit: And Sarah Mc was quite gracious to CB in her sign off.

She could hardly have signed off with a derogatory assessment of her, now could she, c’mon...little bit of reality needed around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Cole wrote: »
    You can all calm down now from the excitement of her amazing, unprecedented performance today...

Me head is wrecked. I'm going off to play the back 9 to clear my head.. oh fuk wait :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

s8n wrote: »
    its amazing how critical ye all were on here when she was with NT but are all "painting the radio" with collective jerk off now

never used to listen to her on newstalk. but heard her covering on marion finance and she was always a breath of fresh air on that show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭Acosta

Shocking decision to not give the slot full time, but totally unsurprising. Would be great if she got the Prime Time gig, but the state broadcaster prefers their journalists to take on politicians and the powerful with kid gloves so I wouldn't be too hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

RINO87 wrote: »
    So by that measure no one can improve? Many of the comments in her favour have said she has much improved since the Newstalk days.

I believe that the NT format did not suit Sarah. Anyone who had previously seen her on Vincent Browne, where she made some powerful appearances, would realise that we have been hearing the real Sarah on RTÉ for the past few months. Having seen her on VB, I was looking forward to hearing her on NT, but was very disappointed. Perhaps the banter with Chris did not suit her, as it seemed very forced and unnatural at times. She was excellent this morning and definitely went out on a high! Her sign off to Claire Byrne exuded pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Mav11

Could we not at least agree on how to spell "Jasus"?

• Advertisement

Mav11 wrote: »

No...it's Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Bejaysus ... that was some show for Sarah Mc to finish on! She could not have been nicer handing over to Claire Byrne.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No...it's Jaysus!

Nope, it’s Jaysis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

No...it's Jaysus!

pc7 wrote: »
    Nope, it’s Jaysis!

Poll!

It's jaysis, or Jayzus — slight regional variation.

C'mon man allow us to pay a compliment to a great broadcaster. Just saying that she's talented and that she did a good job is hardly hyperbole is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Jayzus down here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Very edgy mocking the name.

Maybe ye wouldn't be so brave with the holy names of certain other world religons.

Either way it has little to do with the Today Show.

Jayzus down here...

That's the Incan demon-god you're thinking of.

I'm confident that I've seen it written as 'Jaysus' most often, with 'Jaysis' second. Never seen any of the other unnnatural spellings that are crawling out of the woodwork here...

elperello wrote: »

Maybe ye wouldn't be so brave with the holy names of certain other world religons.

Either way it has little to do with the Today Show.

You referring to Big Mo?

C'mon man allow us to pay a compliment to a great broadcaster. Just saying that she's talented and that she did a good job is hardly hyperbole is it?

But that's not what a lot of posts did this morning. I like Sarah and think she's a very capable broadcaster...and have been positive about her here...but I think there was hyperbole a plenty today. I don't think this thread was ever as busy.

And with respect, saying that she's in a different league to a widely respected broadcaster with around 40 years of work under his belt is hyperbole imo.

You referring to Big Mo?

QED

• Advertisement

But that's not what a lot of posts did this morning. I like Sarah and think she's a very capable broadcaster...and have been positive about her here...but I think there was hyperbole a plenty today. I don't think this thread was ever as busy.

And with respect, saying that she's in a different league to a widely respected broadcaster with around 40 years of work under his belt is hyperbole imo.

Agree Cole, very capable, we agree on that, but we don’t leave our devices like a plasterers radio after this mornings show.

Which is another way of saying way too much hyperbole.

Over the top.

elperello wrote: »

I think it's more about the pronunciation. I think it kind of trancends religion in an Irish context...has almost become a distinct word. But fair enough if some might be offended.

...but we don’t leave our devices like a plasterers radio after this mornings show.

Shudder at the thought.

I disagree but let's be clear about the subject:

Sarah McInerney is a better broadcaster than Pat Kenny. At least, lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    "JESUS!"

:D:D:D:D:D

Just tuned in as she was kind of apologising for it, hat was the context in which she said it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Gonna miss listening to Sarah in the mornings now. I actually really like her voice! Which might be a strange thing to say...but pretty important when you're on air I guess! Thought she was a breath of fresh air for the station, so it's sad to see them give the job to an RTE favourite when I thought Sarah was doing a fantastic job. Very poor decision imo. Will look forward to what she does next.

Jaysus. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Well said. Plenty of goldfish memories on this thread! And the Sean O'Rourke revisionism elsewhere shows it too - 15 months ago he was flavour of the month for his expert stitching up of Maria Bailey. Today he's a pariah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭AJB39

I think Sarah McInerney did a brilliant job on the programme over the past few months. She leaves the job with her credentials enormously enhanced. As others have said she finished off today in a classy way. If I was in charge in RTÉ Radio I would offer her the “News at One” job to replace Claire Byrne and the “This Week” job to replace David McCullagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,669 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Think I'll settle for "Jaysus":)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

What promoted the "Jesus"?

The lack of professionalism

limnam wrote: »
    The lack of professionalism

Oodles of personality and a sense of humour!

Started a new Today with Claire Byrne thread here:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058106563/1/#post114380316

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Have to say I was pleasently suprised by her show, I really hated her interview style on NT, all shouty, interrupting answers etc,
    She still does too much interupting but she was far better than i expected.

Oodles of personality and a sense of humour!

If amateur college radio is your bag.

She's top draw I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nobody could have asked for a better send off. What a clusterfook by the Clifden culprits and they deserve everything thrown at them.

I wouldn't confuse the indulgences of the Oireachtas Golf Society with how the country is being run (although some are), nor would I base an appraisal of Sarah on today's shooting fish in a barrel (although some are). But she went out on a high and I'm sure she will rise again.

She's top draw I guess.

Hyperbole FM

She's top draw I guess.

a) it’s drawer as in “top drawer” as in a dresser.

And:

b) I have no idea where you’re pulling amateur college radio from

And

c) What did Sarah ever do to you?

b) I have no idea where you’re pulling amateur college radio from

Have a listen back to yesterdays show.

In the first 5 minutes alone she made more mistakes than an amateur on college radio.

She makes the whole show sound cheap, badly produced and her voice does not suit radio.

c) What did Sarah ever do to you?

Nothing, I don't understand why you're getting so involved in someones opinion of her. I like quality radio. Her shows on NT were a constant car crash and this is no better.

Some people were just not built for radio.
    There's not one redeeming feature of her delivery as a presenter.

Are you related to her? you seem to be taking this very personally

• Advertisement

I like Sarah and think she's good, but not without flaws as a broadcaster/interviewer. This thread was one of the better ones on the radio forum with balanced opinions, but it has completely lost the plot in the last day or so.

From posts suggesting Sarah's suddenly the greatest broadcaster on radio, to the other extreme of her not being fit to be on the radio at all. Can the mods just put this thread out of its misery...now that she's moving on (and best of luck to her).

The (recent) love in for Sarah is now seeping into the Claire Byrne thread. She's gone...maybe have a Sarah McInerney appreciation thread instead.

I like Sarah and think she's good, but not without flaws as a broadcaster/interviewer. This thread was one of the better ones on the radio forum with balanced opinions, but it has completely lost the plot in the last day or so.

From posts suggesting Sarah's suddenly the greatest broadcaster on radio, to the other extreme of her not being fit to be on the radio at all. Can the mods just put this thread out of its misery...now that she's moving on (and best of luck to her).

The (recent) love in for Sarah is now seeping into the Claire Byrne thread. She's gone...maybe have a Sarah McInerney appreciation thread instead.

Cole....... don’t draw them on us

You’ll have something like the John Creedon thread and a roster set up to bump it every day.

And Creedon set up as some kind of a genius usually the content.

Like s Sarah,he’s good..........but.....not....that.....good.

Have a listen back to yesterdays show.

In the first 5 minutes alone she made more mistakes than an amateur on college radio.

She makes the whole show sound cheap, badly produced and her voice does not suit radio.

Nothing, I don't understand why you're getting so involved in someones opinion of her. I like quality radio. Her shows on NT were a constant car crash and this is no better.

Some people were just not built for radio.
    There's not one redeeming feature of her delivery as a presenter.

Are you related to her? you seem to be taking this very personally

No, not related, have never met her and have no particular axe to grind on her behalf.

I'm getting involved because that is what happens on boards.ie, opinions are debated.

In this specific case I happen to disagree with the opinion or view that Sarah cheapened the show or that her voice / personality was unsuited to radio.

On the contrary, as a listener, I thought she was like a breath of fresh air, brought new energy to the show and was very engaging in her presentation. I don't believe that I'm and outlier in holding that view.

If that is what amateur college radio sounds like.........bring it on!!!!! So much better than a staid professional national broadcaster:)

Anyway she's gone now and I sure that our (non personal) attention will turn to CB on Monday:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Great last show, it was hard to keep up with all the news as it flooded out, so fair play to the entire team for putting it together.

I'm going to miss Sarah, she was excellent all summer. On the comparisons between herself, Sean O'Rourke and Pat Kenny, if you compare her now to PK now and to SOR's last 6 months, she's far ahead. SOR was jaded I thought, and PK has gone full cranky. You obviously can't compare an entire lifetime of work for all 3 though.

I assume she'll end up somewhere decent in rte, the rumour is prime time I think?

Let's see if Claire Byrne keeps up the good work next week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Any show I can listen to about politics now? All stations seem to have stupid light entertainment shows on at the moment! Do I have to wait until Rte 1o'clock news for next fix?

This always annoys me. From 9-12 there's talk radio and current affairs all over the place. 12 arrives and it's snooze ville on radio 1, music on the local stations and Ciara Kelly (and her replacement now) on newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I thought Sarah was excellent and won’t be long off the media. Also think PK is still the best and thought SOR was a real pro.
    Also like Claire as a broadcaster. Just making the point that just because you like one person you have to slag off their “rivals”

• Advertisement

No, not related, have never met her and have no particular axe to grind on her behalf.

I'm getting involved because that is what happens on boards.ie, opinions are debated.

Oh, I was just asking as you asked what she's done to me. I wasn't awarded the it's boards and opinions are debated position :)

Oh, I was just asking as you asked what she's done to me. I wasn't awarded the it's boards and opinions are debated position :)

:D

Ok, folks, ye've had yer last few words to say. Going to close this thread now.

Catmaniac

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement