Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity leave/benefit on second baby

Options
  • 11-05-2020 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All,

Is there a qualifying period to be eligible for second maternity leave/benefit? I’m currently on mat leave with baba 1 but we would love to go again ASAP. I’m not keen on emailing to ask my employer (public servant) while I’m on mat leave, so would anyone know? As it stands I receive mat benefit and employer tops it up to basic salary. Basically can I go back to work for less than 6 months and take mat leave again if we were lucky enough to get pregnant again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Is there a qualifying period to be eligible for second maternity leave/benefit? I’m currently on mat leave with baba 1 but we would love to go again ASAP. I’m not keen on emailing to ask my employer (public servant) while I’m on mat leave, so would anyone know? As it stands I receive mat benefit and employer tops it up to basic salary. Basically can I go back to work for less than 6 months and take mat leave again if we were lucky enough to get pregnant again.

I would say that the employer top up would depend on your contract, check it and see. As for state benefit, you'd need to have enough PRSI contributions. I found the maternity benefit section in Donegal to be extremely helpful, you could ring them and ask maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Cash_Q wrote: »
    I would say that the employer top up would depend on your contract, check it and see. As for state benefit, you'd need to have enough PRSI contributions. I found the maternity benefit section in Donegal to be extremely helpful, you could ring them and ask maybe?

Thanks for this. Checked my contact yesterday and it just doesn’t mention anything about a second mat leave, so I’ve no clue if there’s a qualifying period or something? Would that even be legal..
    will check with Donegal, think prsi should be good but great idea thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Thanks for this. Checked my contact yesterday and it just doesn’t mention anything about a second mat leave, so I’ve no clue if there’s a qualifying period or something? Would that even be legal.. will check with Donegal, think prsi should be good but great idea thanks x

Unfortunately they can basically set their own rules as far as paying any top up at all as far as I'd heard, they've no obligation to pay any top up. I've heard of companies requiring an employee to be back to work at least one year before they can get paid maternity leave, but if there's nothing in your contract then maybe they wouldnt have a leg to stand on. Also, if another employee got a second maternity leave paid close to their first, this sets a precedent that you could claim for yourself. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to ask. They definitely can't refuse you the time off anyway, its just the payment you need to be sure of.

Best of luck anyway, when you know it's what you want it's hard to face any hurdles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

You are public sector? I am sure you will be grand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Mate I’m a hospital doctor. I’m returning to standard 14hr days of 12days on rosters. 24hr shifts, nights, weekends etc. I will also be exposed to covid daily (even if I’m pregnant) and risk having to isolate from my 6month old. I love my job but trust me not all public sector is a gravy train!

I am referring to you getting topped up and your entitlement to maternity leave.
    I am also a public sector worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Mate I’m a hospital doctor. I’m returning to standard 14hr days of 12days on rosters. 24hr shifts, nights, weekends etc. I will also be exposed to covid daily (even if I’m pregnant) and risk having to isolate from my 6month old. I love my job but trust me not all public sector is a gravy train!

Jeepers, bit defensive eh? :D
    You’ll be grand In the public sector, dunno what way it works elsewhere. I had three babies Within 3.5 yrs, always took unpaid as well as paid leave and always got full paid mat leave. HSE worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Great, thanks so much everyone!
    Really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

There’s a difference between being entitled to maternity pay and the top as others have said- the employer might have different rules. For me I only got the state payment and was worried as I went on Mat leave in November, returned to work the following September and went on Mat leave again 8 months later and I got it. Apparently while on the basic payment your credits still accrue for maternity pay. But I lost my prsi entitlement for a dental clean! My friend was signed off sick and refused Illness benefit because she had been abroad and not working long enough back here but her maternity pay was fine, different rules and maternity pay seems fairly reasonable to get

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Most people I know who have gone again that quickly have got the state payment anyway.

The employer, it is very dependent on their rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Check your contract. There's usually a clause regarding being back in employment for 6-12 months to be eligible for the top up. You'll get the state one no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement