Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entering teaching at 26 and needing irish

Options
  • 11-05-2020 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi guys .

Sticking a post up for the girlfriend . She has a level 8 in early education And care , she would like to move to teaching currently 26. But stuck in a rut about doing the year long course in Irish as she only done ordinary .

Has anyone here done an Irish degree , like Maynooth i think it in dublin . She was never a massive fan of Irish and think she wouldn’t have a hope of passing. Where as I’m thinking only doing one thing to focus on surely with work you would pass.

Any advice ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

cormywormy wrote: »
    Hi guys .

Sticking a post up for the girlfriend . She has a level 8 in early education And care , she would like to move to teaching currently 26. But stuck in a rut about doing the year long course in Irish as she only done ordinary .

Has anyone here done an Irish degree , like Maynooth i think it in dublin . She was never a massive fan of Irish and think she wouldn’t have a hope of passing. Where as I’m thinking only doing one thing to focus on surely with work you would pass.

Any advice ? Thanks

Is it primary or secondary she wants to do? Irish required for primary not for post primary.

There are evening diplomas in Irish. If she does go to a full time course, there will be a reduction - I enquired about the diploma in my local university, if I did it when I was doing my teaching dip, it would have substantially lower. I would contact the Teaching Council regarding this to see if that would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Is it primary or secondary she wants to do? Irish required for primary not for post primary.

There are evening diplomas in Irish. If she does go to a full time course, there will be a reduction - I enquired about the diploma in my local university, if I did it when I was doing my teaching dip, it would have substantially lower. I would contact the Teaching Council regarding this to see if that would suffice.

it’s primary what she is aiming for alright. Thanks il get her to send a few emails

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If she's that down on Irish, she should rethink her plan. Teaching Irish is an important part of primary teaching, and if she's uncomfortable about it from the start, she's going to pass that on to her students, and they deserve better. Please don't read that as a dig at your girlfriend. It's not intended as one.

We have enough primary teachers who are bad at teaching Irish without adding more. If she's just hoping to scrape the minimum requirements for any of the core subjects, she should rethink her plan.

Like mtoutlemonde said, nothing wrong with going into secondary. No Irish required there (even in some Gaelcholáistí, these days :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

RealJohn wrote: »
    If she's that down on Irish, she should rethink her plan. Teaching Irish is an important part of primary teaching, and if she's uncomfortable about it from the start, she's going to pass that on to her students, and they deserve better. Please don't read that as a dig at your girlfriend. It's not intended as one.

We have enough primary teachers who are bad at teaching Irish without adding more. If she's just hoping to scrape the minimum requirements for any of the core subjects, she should rethink her plan.

Like mtoutlemonde said, nothing wrong with going into secondary. No Irish required there (even in some Gaelcholáistí, these days :rolleyes: ).

Fair and honest post there, maybe she should look at other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

With her degree in early childhood, would she look in to teaching in further education ? I know it’s not children but the pay would certainly be better than childcare. She could nearly register as a further education teacher unqualified with the teaching council and work at that while working on her Irish in the evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭helpful

I would say redoing the Irish leaving cert is achievable in a year (I did it myself). The oral is worth a lot but it’s easy to predict the sort of things they will ask. The written exam is a case of learning off an answer/phrases and putting it down where relevant. When I did it I didn’t study the pros section as they were time consuming and only worth 5%.
    I think where your girlfriend might struggle is the Irish content on the course they undertake. Irish is a huge part of teacher training and if she can’t pass honours Irish how is she planning on passing an Irish oral exam at masters level? Not to be rude but it is important to have a good level of Irish to teach it too?
    Irish isn’t the be-all and end-all of teaching and many great teachers won’t be great at Irish but it’s still part of the job. It’s part of the training and it’s part of the interview for getting a job.
    Early years will certainly stand to her though. Maybe a year of honours Irish will stand to her and give her a love for Irish too

Advertisement