Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hedgehog in my garden

• 11-05-2020 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭

I left the side gate open and I've acquired a hedgehog. It looks like he's staying under our shed during the day so secure at least.

I live in a new estate with a modest garden, definitely some bugs to eat but not a big garden, the hedgehog can't get out of it if the gate is closed.

We have to lock our gate for security reasons, which is where my predicament starts, we've left it open the past 3 nights and the hedgehog has stayed in the garden. I don't want to trap it but also we're not so near anywhere ideal (not that much grass around).

So my question is, should we try encourage the hedgehog out of the garden or is it better off secured in our garden (we will look into a cat flap on the side gate long term)? We can't leave the gate open long term, it's just too dangerous.

Should we contact an animal rescue? It looks healthy but I know they are endangered.

We fed it some cat food the first night and we've left water out for it now. I can see it working away rooting through our lawn now!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Give Bev at The Hogsprickle a shout. She'll let you know what the best thing to do for the hoggy is :)

http://thehogsprickle.weebly.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

GingerLily wrote: »
    I left the side gate open and I've acquired a hedgehog. It looks like he's staying under our shed during the day so secure at least.

I live in a new estate with a modest garden, definitely some bugs to eat but not a big garden, the hedgehog can't get out of it if the gate is closed.

We have to lock our gate for security reasons, which is where my predicament starts, we've left it open the past 3 nights and the hedgehog has stayed in the garden. I don't want to trap it but also we're not so near anywhere ideal (not that much grass around).

So my question is, should we try encourage the hedgehog out of the garden or is it better off secured in our garden (we will look into a cat flap on the side gate long term)? We can't leave the gate open long term, it's just too dangerous.

Should we contact an animal rescue? It looks healthy but I know they are endangered.

We fed it some cat food the first night and we've left water out for it now. I can see it working away rooting through our lawn now!!

You would be amazed at how agile hedgehogs are, is your gate metal or wooden?
    If wood can you cut a small bit out?
    There's hedgehogs around my house/Street, I've seen them squeeze through the drainage holes into the field in front, the holes about 4inches, the hedgehog was much bigger, I've also seen one climb the stone wall.
    If you're worried leave a saucer of water out, it's been very dry, and a little cat or dog food, just a couple of tea spoons, that will help it until you can sort something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Make sure there are no empty buckets or other containers that could fill up with water anywhere. They can climb in and drown! Happened in our back garden unfortunately. Was awful.

Advertisement