Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox Control

Options
  • 11-05-2020 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Anyone doing much fox control at the moment?

Any good story's? Tips, advice, rifle setup pics etc...?

I got 2 vixens and 2 cubs today. Early morning and evening forays. Nice weather for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Had a call from a sheep farmer about 10 days ago.

Wasn't keen to be going out given the current situation but I discussed with him and agreed to wear gloves to open gates etc.

He has about 600 sheep who are all lambed at this stage and he was losing a few.
    Land (and adjoining farmers land) all runs under mountain commonage. Tough walking but the views at night are spectacular. Was watching the supermoon last Friday morning at 2.45 am, really special.

Anyway, got 4 so far and saw another 5 or 6 but couldn't get a shot at them. They are all healthy and in their prime, but needs must.

Will give it a few more runs and then call it a day.

Farmer also has at least 2 other lads shooting it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi things have slowed up with me 302 foxes since December 1 doing a bit of rabbit shooting on corn atm but if I get a call out I will sort it out

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

steyrman wrote: »
    Hi things have slowed up with me 302 foxes since December 1 doing a bit of rabbit shooting on corn atm but if I get a call out I will sort it out

Holy sh1t! That's about 15 foxes a week!! You must cover some ground? 😂

Holy sh1t! That's about 15 foxes a week!! You must cover some ground? ��

Hi here is a break down of the season for me

The final tally 302 foxes The breakdown 19 weeks lamping foxes 4 trips per week distance walked was 7.45 km per night average resulted in 560 km walked lamping at night . Distance traveled driving was 100 km average a night 7,600 km in 19 weeks the average fox taken per night was 4.19 per night all these foxes were taken in 4500 hectares in different areas of my ground from 01/12/2019 till 03/04/2020 calibers used was sako 85 in .243 there was 195 foxes shot with this rifle one missed sabatti 65creedmoor 67 foxes shot with this rifle and 1 missed i also used my cz17 hmr 40 foxes shot and 3 missed i had 5 missed foxes all season as I keep a diary every day and have for years so the break down is easier to manage. Fox calls I just used Claustengame calls tried and tested with me and all these foxes were shot by me single handed wicked-lights 2 of them red pills one mounted on rifle at all times second for spotting my vanguardquestt62 sticks I shot 99% of my foxes off them up off the ground the can hold the weight of my rifle when on a stand leaving my hands free to call and spot Highlight of the year was when kristoffer clausten came over in January for 5 days / nights foxing he managed 27 foxes I did not add them to the above total as kristoffer shot them not me another season over roll on the next I’m still active on call outs I have 36 farms on a WhatsApp group if I’m needed

That's some going - well done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Any idea as to average distance Fox's were shot.

Hi minktrapper early December 100 yards to 150 but as the lambing started a lot of foxes were under 100 yards in January because the we’re paired up I tried to shoot the vixens first with a good chance of the dog fox stopping some were 50 yards and a few over 180 . When I’m out I bring the rifle to suit the ground I’m on so it’s the .243 most of the time but 8n built up areas the 17 hmr earned its keep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Seen a few git a few but I'm out atm with a chipped fracture on the foot unfortunately
    Dying to get out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Hi minktrapper early December 100 yards to 150 but as the lambing started a lot of foxes were under 100 yards in January because the we’re paired up I tried to shoot the vixens first with a good chance of the dog fox stopping some were 50 yards and a few over 180 . When I’m out I bring the rifle to suit the ground I’m on so it’s the .243 most of the time but 8n built up areas the 17 hmr earned its keep

Well done great to hear a honest account, there's so much bull crap of lads continually knocking foxs out a extended range. Every one gets a few excemptional shoots every so often thsts a fact. If your set up like 260RIPS (UTube) for day light foxing as he is absolutely, but notice himself, Roy Lupton  and the old brigades of Robert Bucknell and Mike Powell all knock thier nocturnal foxs at distances similar to steyrman.

I was going to ask the same question,but you have answered that.
    I know that you are using the clausten callers. Ate they more effective than,say, the vixen caller or the "original" caller in lambing areas. Most of my shooting at the moment borders mountain land and I am difficulty getting them within 150-200 metres.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. How are you finding the Vanguard Quest shooting sticks. Are they bipod/tripod.Will the rifle hold on its own.

Vizzy wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same question,but you have answered that.
    I know that you are using the clausten callers. Ate they more effective than,say, the vixen caller or the "original" caller in lambing areas. Most of my shooting at the moment borders mountain land and I am difficulty getting them within 150-200 metres.

Hi vizzy as I walk all my ground and I have a decent amount off hill ground to control i shoot a decent amount of deer I try to put the gralloch in the same area if I can this provides a feeding station for hill foxes and gives them a area with a good chance of food on a regular supply. I have started to backpack the meat out leaving the carcass there and it works 49 foxes off one hill farm this season I cut the walking down by half I have made a number of bait pipes and put them out some foxes love them others don’t go near them no matter what bait is in them the calls worked very good this season but I don’t overly call a little can go a long way if I see a fox moving away I will walk after it and try and cut it off but the bait station works much better for hill foxes imo

Hi vizzy as I walk all my ground and I have a decent amount off hill ground to control i shoot a decent amount of deer I try to put the gralloch in the same area if I can this provides a feeding station for hill foxes and gives them a area with a good chance of food on a regular supply. I have started to backpack the meat out leaving the carcass there and it works 49 foxes off one hill farm this season I cut the walking down by half I have made a number of bait pipes and put them out some foxes love them others don’t go near them no matter what bait is in them the calls worked very good this season but I don’t overly call a little can go a long way if I see a fox moving away I will walk after it and try and cut it off but the bait station works much better for hill foxes imo

Exactly the guidance I needed, thanks.

Don't shoot deer ( although there are plenty of them around on the hills), so leaving gralloch and carcasses is not an option for me.
    But "my current farmer" has lost a few lambs and more recently a ram, which he dragged up onto the border of his land and the hill on Weds for me.

Shot two off it last night in the space of about an hour.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭kunekunesika

Hadn't shoot foxes in over 20 years. Got a call a few weeks back,from one of the farmers where I shoot deer. Only delighted to get out. Had a simple nordik squeler and a basic 30e hand held lamp. Couldn't bring my assistant, as his mammy wouldn't let him out , lockdown. So I checked my zero, 1" high at 100 and off I went. Farmer held the lamp for me, between us, we broke every rule of good foxing, banged gates, shout at the top of his voice, shone lights where and when we shouldn't etc etc. Shot 3 foxes, each night for 3 nights??? Caller was rarely used , foxes all hung out at the limit of the light, 100 to 150 ish. The main factor wasn't my gear or my skill foxing, but most likely this farmer was lambing outdoors ( which is a rarity ). But check your zero, they really are small animals at those distances. Brilliant shooting, and elevated to near sainthood in the farmers eyes.

Thanks for the reply. How are you finding the Vanguard Quest shooting sticks. Are they bipod/tripod.Will the rifle hold on its own.
    Hi minktrapper I can leave any of my rifles setup on the vanguard quest and my 65 creedmoor was 17 lbs there a tripod but fold down to 16 inches to be used sitting down or kneeling down if I forgot them I would go home for them

Hi minktrapper I can leave any of my rifles setup on the vanguard quest and my 65 creedmoor was 17 lbs there a tripod but fold down to 16 inches to be used sitting down or kneeling down if I forgot them I would go home for them

Just looking at a photo of one. Folds down to just over 24" though. It has a u shaped rest on it. Quest T62U. How do you rest a rifle on that.

Just looking at a photo of one. Folds down to just over 24" though. It has a u shaped rest on it. Quest T62U. How do you rest a rifle on that.
    I will post a pic in daylight

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Anyone know cheapest place to buy .243 ammo? Any brand, grain considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Anyone know cheapest place to buy .243 ammo? Any brand, grain considered?

Irish shooting sports seem to be cheap on the latest hornady shipment into the country.

Free delivery over €75.

I don't shoot a 243 myself but is saw they have 58gr vmax in 243. Shoots as flat as a laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

good to see lads out foxing truly needed place is walking in foxes, Hamming a sheep farm near me shooting a few but not as many as recent years must be doing some good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

What a horrific thread and sub forum to come across

The fairies and lollipops thread is this way >>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Renno123 wrote: »

....... well there's the door, off you go, obviously you made a wrong turn!

513595.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Renno123 wrote: »

What fascinates me is y came in if you knew it was horrific.

I will post a pic in daylight

Any sign of a picture of your shooting sticks Steyrman.

Sorry for the delay I will take a few in proper daylight tomorrow being a busy time

Good man. Is the bipod holding it in position?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Sorry for the delay I will take a few in proper daylight tomorrow being a busy time

Man those fields look great, Ideal rifle ground

Good man. Is the bipod holding it in position?

Yea the bipod holds it but if I just use the strap it will hold the same I like the idea the hands free glassing and calling that rifle is 18 lbs and never had any issue with it on the sticks

• Advertisement

Do the sticks make much noise. Do they flex as they look light. The weight of holding a rifle for long periods can be a bit much on the arms.

How do you find the single resting point for the rifle.

Advertisement