Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turkey Didn't Win!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It was the result of a vote on the Late Late as I recall. The Irish public are to blame.

RTE are to blame for putting him on the show in the first place. It's been a nepostistic circle jerk for years that serves to line the pockets of a few people in RTE who haven't the creativity or work ethic to want to win it. Then there's Louis Walsh who gets to decide who represents us if he's in the mood.

Billy McGuinness hit the nail on the head a few years back. He hasn't been let near Donnybrook since.

Short version:

Long version:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There are two myths that persist with the Eurovision.

One is that bloc and public voting has killed it, as others have pointed out bloc voting is not as influncential as people think it is.

The other is that gimmicky songs/acts win it.
    They don't, and have not since the mid '00s.
    For many years now "real" songs have won it.

I think that was mostly true for the whole competition, not just the ‘00s onwards. All of Ireland’s wins are firmly not in the gimmicky camp. The one that strays closest to it is The Voice because it’s a bit Oirishy but Eimear Quinn, whilst not being to my taste, was talented and took music seriously. If you look at the winners down the years in general, yes there are some novelty acts occasionally winning but not very often. Every year has gimmicky entrants and we remember them but how often do they win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

I'm more surprised Jedward didn't win. They actually had a decent song

Advertisement