Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caged Birds in Dark Shop

Options
  • 11-05-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

There are some caged birds that have been left in a phone repair shop in Paul Street shopping center since the beginning of the quarantine. The shop is completely dark because there are stickers and stacks of phone cases on one side and a shutter on the other side.

The owner has refused to take them home and the local authorities have not removed them. Any ideas on how to convince them to act?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There are some caged birds that have been left in a phone repair shop in Paul Street shopping center since the beginning of the quarantine. The shop is completely dark because there are stickers and stacks of phone cases on one side and a shutter on the other side.

The owner has refused to take them home and the local authorities have not removed them. Any ideas on how to convince them to act?
    Have you rang CSPCA? They can deal with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eugenia Iliopoulou

Have you rang CSPCA? They can deal with the Gardai.

I have, several times. They keep sending their inspectors but they don’t remove them from the shop. They expect the owner to take the home but he is the one who has left them in the dark for 2 months so he obviously doesn’t care.

I went to the police as well and they said it’s up to the CSPCA.

I know that the local radio has shown some interest in this case.

Maybe contact the local TDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

How are they alive after 2 months? Are they being fed, watered and the cages cleaned out?

.red. wrote: »
    How are they alive after 2 months? Are they being fed, watered and the cages cleaned out?

They are being fed and watered once in a while. The problem is that there is no light at the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

The problem is that there is no light at the shop.

I can see the cage in your photo, there must be light in there.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    I can see the cage in your photo, there must be light in there.

There is only light when the owner goes to feed them and the manager of the shopping mall in Paul Street is ok with it.

I really can’t understand how anyone can be ok with this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Here is a template for a letter you can send to local councillors and TDs.
    Dear X,

It has come to my attention that caged birds are being kept in a dark shop in Paul Street Shopping Centre during these last few months. The birds are not being adequately maintained and it is clearly a case of cruelty to animals to keep them cooped up with no air, light clean, living space and only occasional food and water.

If action is not taken immediately to remediate this situation, these birds will die. The likelihood is that one will die before the others and due to the long time which typically passes before the owner comes to feed them. During this time, the remaining birds will be in that tiny, dark enclosed space with the decomposing remains of the ones that do not survive.

The extremely unpleasant nature of this situation is compounded by the fact that there is a restaurant close by and the smell from the birds will likely contaminate that environment which will soon be opening again.

As you see, there are many reasons that the CSPCA needs to act quickly and remove these unfortunate creatures who are so publicly being mistreated. Please, if you can assist with helping these birds in any way it would be greatly appreciated, by a large community of people who are extremely concerned for their welfare.

Thanking you,
    s1ippy

I'm going to send it to the Cork South Central TDs:
    micheal.martin@oireachtas.ie
    donnchadh.olaoghaire@oireachtas.ie
    simon.coveney@oireachtas.ie

Mícheál Martin
    Donnchadh O'Laoghaire
    Simon Coveney

And councillors:
    mick_finn@corkcity.ie
    dan.boyle@greenparty.ie
    sean_martin@corkcity.ie
    descahill30@gmail.com
    lorna_bogue@corkcity.ie
    desmondmaryrose@gmail.com
    kieran_mccarthy@corkcity.ie
    cllr.terryshannon@gmail.com
    info@deirdreforde.ie
    shane_ocallaghan@corkcity.ie
    paudie_dineen@corkcity.ie
    fiona_kerins@corkcity.ie

Mick Finn
    Dan Boyle
    Sean Martin
    Des Cahill
    Lorna Bogue
    Mary Rose Desmond
    Kieran McCarthy
    Terry Shannon
    Deirdre Forde
    Shane O'Callaghan
    Paudie Dinneen
    Fiona Kerins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,949 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is there a strong vocal animal rescue near you that could post your photos on social media and start raising awareness. This is the best way 9f handling it.

It was people power that got that little dog rescued in Dublin last week, initially the authorities were slow to react to this too. Reacted when they got literally thousands of calls, emails etc.

There will be many people not ok with this.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Here is a template for a letter you can send to local councillors and TDs.
    Dear X,

It has come to my attention that caged birds are being kept in a dark shop in Paul Street Shopping Centre during these last few months. The birds are not being adequately maintained and it is clearly a case of cruelty to animals to keep them cooped up with no air, light clean, living space and only occasional food and water.

If action is not taken immediately to remediate this situation, these birds will die. The likelihood is that one will die before the others and due to the long time which typically passes before the owner comes to feed them. During this time, the remaining birds will be in that tiny, dark enclosed space with the decomposing remains of the ones that do not survive.

The extremely unpleasant nature of this situation is compounded by the fact that there is a restaurant close by and the smell from the birds will likely contaminate that environment which will soon be opening again.

As you see, there are many reasons that the CSPCA needs to act quickly and remove these unfortunate creatures who are so publicly being mistreated. Please, if you can assist with helping these birds in any way it would be greatly appreciated, by a large community of people who are extremely concerned for their welfare.

Thanking you,
    s1ippy

I'm going to send it to the Cork South Central TDs:
    micheal.martin@oireachtas.ie
    donnchadh.olaoghaire@oireachtas.ie
    simon.coveney@oireachtas.ie

Mícheál Martin
    Donnchadh O'Laoghaire
    Simon Coveney

And councillors:
    mick_finn@corkcity.ie
    dan.boyle@greenparty.ie
    sean_martin@corkcity.ie
    descahill30@gmail.com
    lorna_bogue@corkcity.ie
    desmondmaryrose@gmail.com
    kieran_mccarthy@corkcity.ie
    cllr.terryshannon@gmail.com
    info@deirdreforde.ie
    shane_ocallaghan@corkcity.ie
    paudie_dineen@corkcity.ie
    fiona_kerins@corkcity.ie

Mick Finn
    Dan Boyle
    Sean Martin
    Des Cahill
    Lorna Bogue
    Mary Rose Desmond
    Kieran McCarthy
    Terry Shannon
    Deirdre Forde
    Shane O'Callaghan
    Paudie Dinneen
    Fiona Kerins

Wow that’s amazing, thank you so much!!! I will get to it :)

anewme wrote: »
    Is there a strong vocal animal rescue near you that could post your photos on social media and start raising awareness. This is the best way 9f handling it.

It was people power that got that little dog rescued in Dublin last week, initially the authorities were slow to react to this too. Reacted when they got literally thousands of calls, emails etc.

There will be many people not ok with this.

There are a lot of people who are enraged by this and have called the CSPCA to complain. There is also a petition that was started yesterday that has 384 signatures which unfortunately I can’t share here.

If it was cats or dogs trapped in this shop the authorities would have removed them within a day.

What we are being told over and over is that the birds are being fed and water hence what the owner is doing is not illegal it’s just immoral. But according to the Animal Health and Welfare Act what the owner is doing is both illegal and immoral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The whole animal trade business is messed up. Especially birds. What do you want him to do, bring them to a slightly different cage in another location? Same same. They are caged birds. Their life is pretty crumby either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had heard the tweeting of birds there but for some reason, I thought it was a recording of bird song:o

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The only sway you have is with CSPCA, and if they can't do anything that's pretty much the end of the line. SO keep checking in with them.

The letter claim the birds don't have air, and they will die - is this true?
    It seems to me the main complaint is that the birds have to sit in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Why do they keep birds there at all? Are they pets or are they for sale? Sounds like they're just there for ornamental purposes which is pretty messed up.

Thank you for raising awareness of this by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had heard the tweeting of birds there but for some reason, I thought it was a recording of bird song:o

Seconded. Have always assumed it was some toy or something to make us think birds were inside...

pwurple wrote: »
    The whole animal trade business is messed up. Especially birds. What do you want him to do, bring them to a slightly different cage in another location? Same same. They are caged birds. Their life is pretty crumby either way.

I agree with you that putting birds or any other animal in a cage is horrible. But since the law allows it I would expect him to put them somewhere where they can see the sun or at peasant have some light.

What he is doing is against the law and neither the police or the CSPCA are doing anything about it.

Imagine being in a dark stuffy room for 2 months. It’s horrible.

Many people thought that. It’s hard to imagine that anyone would lock real birds in the dark for 2 months. It’s beyond cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Could/Would you take the birds?
    If so propose the owner that you take them forever/until shop opens.
    That way the birds will be well cared for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shop was open today.
    Birds singing away

Advertisement