Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padded Saddle Cover

Options
  • 12-05-2020 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi All,

I have an older version of this bike that I have not used it a while. With the lockdown, I'm trying to keep active by going walking, but I'm getting pretty bored of that now so I want to try and start cycling again. I have a bad back a result of a car crash a few years ago so running is not an option for me as my back really doesn't like it. I've gone on a few short cycles but my back isn't too fond of this either, the saddle is pretty hard so I definitely think this isn't helping matters.

Would anybody be able to recommend a padded cycle cover that I could maybe buy online with most shops still being closed?

I want to give that option a go before looking at replacing the saddle. If anyone could recommend a good saddle replacement I would appreciate as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Probably best to get a pair of cycling specific padded shorts. It's a better solution than a padded saddle. With padded shorts the padding stays in contact with your backside - with a padded saddle, there's a tendency to 'squirm' around on the saddle which can actually result in more discomfort. The shock absorption will probably be better with shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The saddle on that bike is on the narrow side - pay a visit to your local bike shop (many are open on an emergency basis) and enquire about a slightly wider one. Don’t be tempted to get a heavily-padded “barstool” saddle - they’re for beach cruisers and will kill you with chafing. The covers you mention do bunch up, and rarely improve your comfort, especially if the saddle is too narrow for your pelvis.

A mid-width saddle with padded shorts, as mentioned, will see you comfortable for miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

1. Where are you based?
    2. If you're size large, I have some stuff you can have free to see what suits you (tights, shorts) new in packet).
    3. I had one of those saddle covers, if I can find it in the shed, it's yours.

I'm Dublin based - Drimnagh, Phibsboro, Blanchardstown, City Centre, UCD, I'm in these areas regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ToTheSea

wheelo01 wrote: »
    1. Where are you based?
    2. If you're size large, I have some stuff you can have free to see what suits you (tights, shorts) new in packet).
    3. I had one of those saddle covers, if I can find it in the shed, it's yours.

I'm Dublin based - Drimnagh, Phibsboro, Blanchardstown, City Centre, UCD, I'm in these areas regularly.

Hi,
    That's a lovely offer, thank you.
    I wouldn't be based near Dublin, used to be there a good bit but can't I be making trip up there any time soon.

How did you find the saddle cover, any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If you do go online, I found some on Deathlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

ToTheSea wrote: »
    Hi,
    That's a lovely offer, thank you.
    I wouldn't be based near Dublin, used to be there a good bit but can't I be making trip up there any time soon.

How did you find the saddle cover, any use?

Only used on short 5k commute, okay for that, I dont imagine it would be comfortable over 10/15 km, better with shorts/tights.

Advertisement