Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headford Road currently blocked at Carrowbrowne due to a protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Discodog wrote: »
    My concern is purely that I think they could be being given ammunition for a discrimination case. It's very clear why the two checkpoints have been set up & it's pretty unique.

If the other aspect of the rumor turns out to be true and there's a cluster of the virus there and they have still refused to isolate. It may not be discrimination on account of who they are but rather, on account of their actions.

There are clusters in nursing homes. They stopped visitors and the residents don't go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

That's not a protest. It's scumbags standing on a road

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

There were checkpoints on curraline at both ends last week. These protesters were saying they were being singled out but we all kniw the truth. Wink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

They should deploy the army and use any means necessary to remove the protesters from a public road.
    Absolute fcukin scum to block an ambulance.
    Generations of entitlement protesting their rights.
    Rebels without a cause and leeches upon society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any pictures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Paddico wrote: »
    Any pictures?
    cfeeneyinterior posted a FB video above from Cllr. James Charity

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Gardai have unprecedented powers. If someone has Coronavirus they can be ordered to remain home & there are severe penalties for non compliance.

They don't need to use the excuse of checkpoints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

<allegations>

Bullocks wrote: »
    I hope if they did take a case that a judge would be quick to throw it out but of course in this country you never know if common sense will prevail in a courtroom

If they get them as far as a court room I'm sure there is plenty of other business which can be delt with on the day after throwing out the case.
    The Gardai have unprecedented powers. If someone has Coronavirus they can be ordered to remain home & there are severe penalties for non compliance.

There is severe penalties for most of what this crowed would be up to but they ignore it at the best of times so why would now be any different. They need to be forced to stay where they are that is quite clear and can't believe its being questioned (except by sh*t stirrers which I don't consider you as).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Because in this case specifically, widespread movement was observed in and out of a given location where a certain group resided indicating both continued operation of their normal non essential "business", and continued interaction with members of the group living elsewhere. Also been suggested that there may be positive cases within the group also. So its targeted policing based on observed behaviour and the very opposite of singling out

There is no restriction on free movement for certain reasons eg work, shopping, exercise

So why the continued checkpoints and why the protests ? Surely reasonable if people are prevented from doing what they are allowed to under the restrictions ?

• Advertisement

If they get them as far as a court room I'm sure there is plenty of other business which can be delt with on the day after throwing out the case.

There is severe penalties for most of what this crowed would be up to but they ignore it at the best of times so why would now be any different. They need to be forced to stay where they are that is quite clear and can't believe its being questioned (except by sh*t stirrers which I don't consider you as).

I don't see how a checkpoint achieves this. Anyone can say that they are going shopping etc.

All evidence to the contrary

youngrun wrote: »
    There is no restriction on free movement for certain reasons eg work, shopping, exercise

So why the continued checkpoints and why the protests ? Surely reasonable if people are prevented from doing what they are allowed to under the restrictions ?

Essential work that's not possible from home. Maybe it can be argued collecting scrap metal is essential?
    What has been observed is that it was business as normal in this particular location with this particular group.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I would've thought the checkpoints were to stop sulky racing on that road - aswell as deterring any would be burglars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Id say you could delete 'work' from this particular case as a reason for free movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is if you or a member of your household is diagnosed with certain notifiable diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

Its well known at the minute there is an outbreak in the camp.there has been a checkpoint at the halting site for a week nearly to attempt to curtail travel from the camp. they want to be out and about in the public (hence the 'protest').i dont think its unreasonable to ask the travellers to stay put till its passed.anything they need shopping medicine etc is been brought to them. And if we blocked an ambulance (as they did last night) we'd be arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Lack of arrests is probably down to the fact that the Ambulance service is likely reluctant to press charges owing to the fact that if anyone on that camp rings 999 for an ambulance, they cannot refuse to respond and to make that process as smooth as possible, they need the travellers to trust them.

There is if you or a member of your household is diagnosed with certain notifiable diseases.

In that case do it properly & put a Garda car across the entrance.

Further reports of disruption on the Headford road.

512688.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

They’d have to park something heavier than a car across the entrance

Blondie919 wrote: »
    They’d have to park something heavier than a car across the entrance

Time to get a Land Rover Tangi from our friends in the North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

flazio wrote: »
    Time to get a Land Rover Tangi from our friends in the North?

Had to google a Tangi but yeah that would do the trick

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Had to google a Tangi but yeah that would do the trick

For the others uninitiated, it's those armoured Land Rover Defenders that are synonymous with the RUC/PSNI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

flazio wrote: »
    For the others uninitiated, it's those armoured Land Rover Defenders that are synonymous with the RUC/PSNI.

Drew might be able to get a few cheap through his old contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Or just leave the 2 checkpoints which are doing the job. Honestly if they had a single car they'd have no hope and you'd probably be first on here stating it should be check points either end.

Or just leave the 2 checkpoints which are doing the job. Honestly if they had a single car they'd have no hope and you'd probably be first on here stating it should be check points either end.

How are they doing the job ? Are they turning back people, arresting people ?

How are they doing the job ? Are they turning back people, arresting people ?

They arent doing it for fun so the fact they are continuing it and there are clowns out protesting means it must be successful.

If I were in charge I'd have the army out there immediately to remove (forcefully preferably) them idiots from the road and keep them in their site.

They arent doing it for fun so the fact they are continuing it and there are clowns out protesting means it must be successful.

If I were in charge I'd have the army out there immediately to remove (forcefully preferably) them idiots from the road and keep them in their site.

The law allows them to pretty much do whatever is necessary. If it were successful they wouldn't of left the site to protest.

• Advertisement

The law allows them to pretty much do whatever is necessary. If it were successful they wouldn't of left the site to protest.

I'm honestly confused as to what point you are trying to make with your last half dozen posts

Advertisement