Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headford Road currently blocked at Carrowbrowne due to a protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I'm honestly confused as to what point you are trying to make with your last half dozen posts

Simple. If the rumours are true then why don't they implement the law & properly lock down the site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

they are allowed 5 km to exercise
    but given circumstances, the locations chosen were the best to allow cars to safely turn around when asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

dark smoke billowing out of that area tonight as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bunch of posts removed that are derogatory or plain racist.
    Cards handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

No surprise and a regular enough occurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

flazio wrote: »
    Lack of arrests is probably down to the fact that the Ambulance service is likely reluctant to press charges owing to the fact that if anyone on that camp rings 999 for an ambulance, they cannot refuse to respond and to make that process as smooth as possible, they need the travellers to trust them.

This is not America. The Ambulance Service does not decide who gets charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Ambulance doesn't have to go in without Garda backup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

biko wrote: »
    cfeeneyinterior posted a FB video above from Cllr. James Charity

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1566056280236652&id=154787634696864

RTE.ie: Garda checkpoint demonstrators block Galway road.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0512/1137905-galway/

Meanwhile

Hi could you Advise all Drivers to proceed with caution by halting site Curraghline..
    Kids on Road with Bikes and cycling out in front of cars

https://www.facebook.com/378605648878408/posts/3826459107426361/

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Discodog wrote: »
    I would have zero sympathy for that particular group but I think the Gardai got this very wrong. Whilst they stopped everyone, it was clear that the checkpoints were targeting one group. Anyone that had a checkpoint, each side of their home, practically 24/7 for days would feel singled out. A single undercover car could of done the job with minimal fuss.

Looks like the checkpoints are back this morning.

And would a single squad car be enough to stop them as they decide to go for a pleasure drive or to a funeral like they did in Cork during the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

No surprise and a regular enough occurance.

Probably burning the stuff they fly tip on their own doorstep.

30381.full.jpeg

Although someone told me the local authority did a major cleanup recently, just another cost the taxpayer is going to have to front up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Burning the coating off electric cable will let put a lot of black smoke. If I was at it here the EPA wouldn't be long calling out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Bullocks wrote: »
    Burning the coating off electric cable will let put a lot of black smoke. If I was at it here the EPA wouldn't be long calling out

Ya this usually or else they are burning rubbish (not everything gets thrown over the wall). I live in the area and to be honest black smoke coming from the halting site is nothing new. Regular occurance. They used to go down the bog lanes around the area to burn the cables until the council erected gates. So they just do it in the fields beside the halting site now.

Someone else asked if the Gardai are turning back cars at the check points on the Headford Road and I can assure you they most certainly are! I've witnessed it myself

If you allow any group of people to ignore the law for generations you can hardly complain if they carry on doing everything as before. Yet again the law are pussy footing around the situation & as usual, the public are being inconvenienced.

If the site needs locking down then it should be done properly & if that needs the Rangers with full Hasmet suits then so be it. If the law stood up to this lawbreaking we wouldn't have these constant problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As much as I hate the dominant bullies in the travelling community I would never condone the armed forces of this country pointing their weapons towards any unarmed citizens of this nation regardless of class, religion or so called "culture".

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

The untrustables...yet again

As much as I hate the dominant bullies in the travelling community I would never condone the armed forces of this country pointing their weapons towards any unarmed citizens of this nation regardless of class, religion or so called "culture".

Even if they were "armed" with a virus that they had no concern about spreading? How would you persuade these people to abide with the law or do you think they should be exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

As I have not done any study in the field of behavior psychology I am not qualified to answer that question.

I'd condone it and a lot more too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/print.html

Hard to believe some of the comments on here in light of the prevailing legislation

• Advertisement

youngrun wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/print.html

Hard to believe some of the comments on here in light of the prevailing legislation

No one here is upset at these people because they are travellers. Being a traveller is fine.

People here are upset at the actions of this group of people. It's legal to be upset, discuss & criticise the actions of people.

PCeeeee wrote: »
    No one here is upset at these people because they are travellers. Being a traveller is fine.

People here are upset at the actions of this group of people. It's legal to be upset, discuss & criticise the actions of people.

Unfortunately it's fear of being accused of discrimination that means the Gardai have to stop every car.

It will be interesting to see how long the present Garda operation lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Report posts you take offence with, and clearly add your reasoning.
    Mods don't read everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Why don't you post links to the numerous laws travellers break?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

PCeeeee wrote: »

SOME people, maybe MOST people on here, but there's a scary amount of 'those people' posts lumping all travellers together or insinuating that some form of discrimination or violence is the solution. Many posts have been removed in threads like this but they need to be reported.

Agreed to call out any group, but if that's not reflected in the specificity it becomes something even uglier.

inisboffin wrote: »
    SOME people, maybe MOST people on here, but there's a scary amount of 'those people' posts lumping all travellers together or insinuating that some form of discrimination or violence is the solution. Many posts have been removed in threads like this but they need to be reported.

Agreed to call out any group, but if that's not reflected in the specificity it becomes something even uglier.

Unfortunately if people are continually allowed to break the law it will create discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Discodog wrote: »
    Unfortunately if people are continually allowed to break the law it will create discrimination.

I was addressing the point lumping an entire group of people together for the actions of some. But the point speaks for itself.

I agree with you though if you have bad experiences a few times this may happen, but it is no reason EVER to call for violence or worse (as has happened) against anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

b67.gif

I was addressing the point lumping an entire group of people together for the actions of some. But the point speaks for itself.

I agree with you though if you have bad experiences a few times this may happen, but it is no reason EVER to call for violence or worse (as has happened) against anyone.

But it's not a few times. Bad experiences have been happening here for decades.

• Advertisement

Then report the posts calling for violence (or worse?). Report ones you feel racist. And leave off with vague warnings to the rest of us.

Let me say I believe that if an ambulance is stopped going about it's business, and the individuals stopping it do not respond to verbal requests to desist then the state should immediately use violence, up to and including the army if necessary to disperse these individuals, whoever they might be.

Advertisement