Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No salary revision after qualification

Options
  • 12-05-2020 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Now I know in the current climate I am lucky to have a job but I have a salary related problem.

A couple of weeks ago I qualified as a chartered accountant.
    I am working in a finance department in industry.

I was just informed that there will be no salary revision. I am being paid well below the market rate now.
    There is another person there who qualified 6 months ago but he joined our company after this
    We both have big 4 experience, but I'd have an extra year of experience in our industry over him.

We do the same work but he would be on 8-10k more than me.

Doesn't seem fair to me considering we do the same job.

Anything I can do other than leave which isn't ideal in the current climate.

Ps in the last month they have taken on 2 people and promoted another so the "current climate" argument is rubbish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Were you told you’d have a salary revision (ideally in writing) or were you assuming it would be the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Just assuming, it never came up.
    I started there 2 years ago after I had 2 of the 3.5 years experience required to qualify.
    I also had the exams finished before joining so my training didn't cost them anything.

A friend joined us 6 months ago, we are the same background wise, I just have an extra year in this industry than he does.
    Our work is identical, I could start doing his work tomorrow and vice versa but he's on about 8.5k more than me.

I was taken on as an assistant accountant as wasn't qualified, he was taken on as newly qualified.

Just feel very let down as I work hard and I'd understand if we were performing differently.
    I even have to help him sometimes if he doesn't understand something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

If you have laid out that you are paid below market rate and that you are paid below the market rate for staff they are bringing in
    And they have said there will be no pay raise then they are very loudly and clearly telling you something .

Maybe one more meeting to clarify your position with your boss and then it is time to leave .

If you have laid out that you are paid below market rate and that you are paid below the market rate for staff they are bringing in
    And they have said there will be no pay raise then they are very loudly and clearly telling you something .

Maybe one more meeting to clarify your position with your boss and then it is time to leave .

Yeh I got that feeling too.
    The staff they brought in aren't in my department so wouldn't be like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Wait a little while op a few more months then look elsewhere.
    If you plan on having a meeting with the boss before you look explain to him your happy working there but feel your salary should be reviewed to reflect your qualification and experience.
    Don't go in comparing your salary to others unless your not happy working there and would prefer to leave.
    Acountants are always needed so you will find a job no problem but in this current climate it would be very difficult and last thing you need is no salary.
    So have the chat with the boss but don't compare or make ultimatums.

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Wait a little while op a few more months then look elsewhere.
    If you plan on having a meeting with the boss before you look explain to him your happy working there but feel your salary should be reviewed to reflect your qualification and experience.
    Don't go in comparing your salary to others unless your not happy working there and would prefer to leave.
    Acountants are always needed so you will find a job no problem but in this current climate it would be very difficult and last thing you need is no salary.
    So have the chat with the boss but don't compare or make ultimatums.

Yeh the current situation is dodgy when it comes to looking for jobs.
    I know I will get one but just bad timing.
    The funny think is I want to leave anyway as I currently have a 4 hour round trip commute, I was just waiting to be qualified but the extra salary would be nice for the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

"Our work is identical, I could start doing his work tomorrow and vice versa but he's on about 8.5k more than me."

> Plenty of people doing the same work have different salaries in a variety of industries, typically the main reasons for difference is because (a) one person has more tenure in the company than the other (even in a different discipline) or (b) they were hired during periods of different market conditions or (c) they drove a harder bargain.

I have personally managed two people who had a 60% difference in base salary due to a combination of (b) and (c) that were hired only 18 months apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Yeh the current situation is dodgy when it comes to looking for jobs.
    I know I will get one but just bad timing.
    The funny think is I want to leave anyway as I currently have a 4 hour round trip commute, I was just waiting to be qualified but the extra salary would be nice for the coming months.

Now is not the best time to be looking for salary increase.
    The current economic outlook will be used to come the poor mouth and you will be told of battening down the hatches, worrying times ahead, etc, etc.

Even in companies that are doing well out of this situation they are telling employees about how hard times will be ahead.

There is something that can happen to people, it has happened to me, where you are happy enough working somewhere, it suits your purposes, is convenient for some reason and employers cop on to that and are not worried about you leaving so frankly don't bother trying to keep you.
    Someone else is making waves, looks like leaving and gets rewards.
    In order to attract new people they have to pay them more than you because that is how the market is.
    All the while you are falling behind.

Start looking for new place right now.
    Right now get your CV in order and keep improving it whilst still where you are.
    Don't broadcast what you are doing as word always gets around.

And I wouldn't bother talking to your boss because you will more than likely be given the sh** sandwich mullarkey.
    With a big dollop about how there is so much uncertainty.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I started there 2 years ago after I had 2 of the 3.5 years experience required to qualify.
    I also had the exams finished before joining so my training didn't cost them anything.

A friend joined us 6 months ago, we are the same background wise, I just have an extra year in this industry than he does.
    Our work is identical, I could start doing his work tomorrow and vice versa but he's on about 8.5k more than me.

I was taken on as an assistant accountant as wasn't qualified, he was taken on as newly qualified.

Just feel very let down as I work hard and I'd understand if we were performing differently.
    I even have to help him sometimes if he doesn't understand something.

If it wasn’t agreed then assuming was a mistake.
    You can make a case and threaten to leave but truthfully they know the chances of someone leaving steady employment with a massive recession looming is near zero.

_Brian wrote: »
    If it wasn’t agreed then assuming was a mistake.
    You can make a case and threaten to leave but truthfully they know the chances of someone leaving steady employment with a massive recession looming is near zero.

Accountants will always be needed, I'll have no bother lining up something else and leaving.
    My linkedin is full of active jobs even now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

My company have said no salary raises, bonuses or promotions and have even stopped the pension contribution for the next 6 months to asses the situation. Luckily we get full pay and they are guaranteeing employment during this time.

This has impacted one of my team who were expecting a significant raise after qualifying for the role. The only options they have is to leave to get the pay they deserve or wait it out until some certainty comes back.

I would talk with my boss about it and negotiate some terms that would reflect your qualification without demanding anything. At least identify the conditions that would enable the raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Seriously - are you aware what's happening out there?. Virtually every large organisation / multinational has frozen pay for this / next fiscal. And not to be disrespectful to the OP, but accountants aren't exactly like gold dust. Hang in for 6 months and see what the lay of the land is then. Madness to consider looking for a job in this climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

Its down to the market alright really - what it will bear and what you're prepared to do. Never threaten to leave unless you're fully prepared to do so and soon.

I'm not sure to what degree you've had a discussion with your manager about this or whether it was just handed down by email.

But, I'd look for that meeting, make the case for why you deserve higher pay (more than just "the other guy has it"). Try to negotiate something, maybe a lower pay raise, some other perk or concession, commitment to an upward review in X months. See what's possible. If its nothing, then its probably a message about you or the company or your future together.

And use the time hanging in there wisely - get really clear on what you want and why, what you bring, apply for other roles, upskill etc.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

OP you need to learn the basics: If you are still working there then the company is paying you the correct amount or "market rate". If they weren't, you would leave for a better paying position.

Now can you do that? If so go and interview for a higher paying post somewhere else. If you get an offer then tell your current employer and if they wish to keep you they'll make a counter offer.

Its as simple and brutal as that.

purifol0 wrote: »
    OP you need to learn the basics: If you are still working there then the company is paying you the correct amount or "market rate". If they weren't, you would leave for a better paying position.

Now can you do that? If so go and interview for a higher paying post somewhere else. If you get an offer then tell your current employer and if they wish to keep you they'll make a counter offer.

Its as simple and brutal as that.

I qualified a week ago, give me a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You were hired to be an X.

You are still an X, even though you now have the attributes to be a Y.

You need to get a job as a Y, if you want to be paid as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Make It Real

purifol0 wrote: »
    If you get an offer then tell your current employer and if they wish to keep you they'll make a counter offer.

I'm not saying this can't work, but my experience is that it usually doesn't and the employee often ends up leaving anyway a short number of months later.

Whatever trust was there is gone. The employee had to twist the employers arm, which isn't good. And the employer had their arm twisted.

Its better just to move on if it comes to that point.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not seem that your job is in anyway dependent on you getting qualified and there was no commitment to recognise it...

From what you have said it seems they are paying you what they think you are worth to them. So unless you have in some way added value beyond what was expected, I'd imagine that making a case for an increase is going to be a difficult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Accountants will always be needed, I'll have no bother lining up something else and leaving.
    My linkedin is full of active jobs even now.

Leave them.
    It’s your only option.
    They will either let you go to pastures greener or make a counter offer.

The life lesson is make agreements not assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I'm not saying this can't work, but my experience is that it usually doesn't and the employee often ends up leaving anyway a short number of months later.

Whatever trust was there is gone. The employee had to twist the employers arm, which isn't good. And the employer had their arm twisted.

Its better just to move on if it comes to that point.

I think you fatally misunderstand the employer-employee relationship, aka Team Player fallacy. This is a really fast way to ensure you are not successful and instead may lead to resentment when you find out other or newer employees are getting more than you despite your "loyalty" to the company.

If you want to be respected by your employer/manager then you must show that you aren't desperate for the job and pay you currently have.

BTW I encouraged my SO to do exactly what I outlined in my original post at Christmas. Two days after informing her employer that she had received a offer she was taken out to lunch and offered a 6K raise to stay! Exact same job she had, no extra duties or hours, they simply changed her job title. A week prior to this she had asked for raise and was met with "We'd love to but we just cant afford it" - despite business absolutely booming.

• Advertisement
Advertisement