Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house during lockdown

Options
  • 12-05-2020 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the place for this, but my rental contract ends next month and I planned to move back home which is over 100km away, so it is a good bit beyond the travel distance allowed. I can't afford renting anymore as my wages were reduced, my partner has been out of work since Sept and has been unsuccessful since then with social welfare help.

Is there anything that would allow me to travel this distance for moving home? I contacted the Gardaí, and the response was that they cannot authorize any travel. I was hoping they might be able to sign a letter or something allowing short term long distance travel, just in case I was stopped while driving, but that might have just been overly hopeful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Barti wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the place for this, but my rental contract ends next month and I planned to move back home which is over 100km away, so it is a good bit beyond the travel distance allowed. I can't afford renting anymore as my wages were reduced, my partner has been out of work since Sept and has been unsuccessful since then with social welfare help.

Is there anything that would allow me to travel this distance for moving home? I contacted the Gardaí, and the response was that they cannot authorize any travel. I was hoping they might be able to sign a letter or something allowing short term long distance travel, just in case I was stopped while driving, but that might have just been overly hopeful.

Get a letter from the letting agency or landlord stating your contract has ended as a such are vacating the property. This will be sufficient if stopped at a checkpoint, as I understand. MANY students found them selves in the same position when university campuses came to a close and students move home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 relegation6

I'm considering a move out of Dublin ASAP. My job is on thin ice and I won't be able to afford the rent. My savings would be wiped in a matter of months. If I sign a lease in another county (for a third of the rent in Dublin), would I be allowed move? Maybe a copy of the new lease outside of Dublin would suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hire a van and just drive the thing

Don't have a license or a van unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Barti wrote: »

You have to move house or you will have nowhere to live. That is an essential journey

• Advertisement

You have to move house or you will have nowhere to live. That is an essential journey

Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks!

Advertisement