Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hap first month rent

Options
  • 12-05-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello! I’m on HAP with Meath county council and previously I was on hap in Galway and never needed to provide a first month rent, only deposit.
    My question is do I need to provide a first month rent as my understanding is... I pay for example deposit and first month rent at the beginning of June. Then on the last Wednesday of June Hap also pay the rent for June as it’s in arrears the landlord will receive double? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

clio96 wrote: »
    Hello! I’m on HAP with Meath county council and previously I was on hap in Galway and never needed to provide a first month rent, only deposit.
    My question is do I need to provide a first month rent as my understanding is... I pay for example deposit and first month rent at the beginning of June. Then on the last Wednesday of June Hap also pay the rent for June as it’s in arrears the landlord will receive double? Thanks in advance!

No the landlord doesn’t receive double.

What happens is the landlord expects rent to be paid in advance as is standard practice.

The council abuse their power and some what questionable use their power to Insust rent is paid in arrears.

So what happens is month one you pay deposit and month in advance like every other tenant in the private rental market.
    Then at month end the council pay the rent fir the first month. The landlord considers this as payment of the second months and so on. Then when you move out the landlord should return 1.your deposit 2. The last payment from the council which offsets your first month payment

Advertisement