Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After cut 4 in 1 - before or after scarifying

Options
  • 12-05-2020 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭

So, dilemma!

I have just received my Bosch AVR 1100 verticutter and I'm dying to get out there and remove the thatch and moss.

That being said, I also have some Aftercut 4 in 1 that I need to put down but I have no hose and doesn't look like it's going to rain in the next 48 hours.

There is a LOT of thatch/moss, any issue doing a scarify first and putting the moss killer down in a week or so, raking it up again after?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Naos wrote: »
    So, dilemma!

I have just received my Bosch AVR 1100 verticutter and I'm dying to get out there and remove the thatch and moss.

That being said, I also have some Aftercut 4 in 1 that I need to put down but I have no hose and doesn't look like it's going to rain in the next 48 hours.

There is a LOT of thatch/moss, any issue doing a scarify first and putting the moss killer down in a week or so, raking it up again after?

Thanks!

Personally, i'd do neither ! Given how dry it is right now, the lack of rain, and the lack of a hose you run the risk of damaging the lawn scarifying it if you go in too deep right now.

Alternatively applying the 4-1 wont take fully due to the lack of rain.

Sit tight! i'm in a similar boat, Really need to aerate + scarify my own lawn as the thatch layer is out of control ( never been done) but at this point i think i'll wait untill october due to the quantity i know i'll upend removing from it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    Personally, i'd do neither ! Given how dry it is right now, the lack of rain, and the lack of a hose you run the risk of damaging the lawn scarifying it if you go in too deep right now.

Alternatively applying the 4-1 wont take fully due to the lack of rain.

Sit tight! i'm in a similar boat, Really need to aerate + scarify my own lawn as the thatch layer is out of control ( never been done) but at this point i think i'll wait untill october due to the quantity i know i'll upend removing from it :(

Cheers for the advice, unfortunately I went out yesterday anyway... I was itching to get at it! I'll hold off on the 4-1 until it's scheduled to rain though.

First time with my own garden, very difficult to not get after it.. I'll try slow myself down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Cheers for the advice, unfortunately I went out yesterday anyway... I was itching to get at it! I'll hold off on the 4-1 until it's scheduled to rain though.

First time with my own garden, very difficult to not get after it.. I'll try slow myself down :D

Listen, if you've nothing to do. I have nearly 5 acres and could do with a hand :D

I hear ye man, 2500 m2 here to do and i'd be only too happy to buy something right now and hammer the hell out of it . ..

Did you remove much thatch ?

Listen, if you've nothing to do. I have nearly 5 acres and could do with a hand :D

Haha, are you within 5km? :D
    I hear ye man, 2500 m2 here to do and i'd be only too happy to buy something right now and hammer the hell out of it . ..

Did you remove much thatch ?

Absolute shedload, about 8-10 large (compressed!) bags. Went over it three times, straight cut then about 30 degrees diagonally each way.

IMG-20200514-WA0010.jpg

• Advertisement

Haha, are you within 5km? :D

Absolute shedload, about 8-10 large (compressed!) bags. Went over it three times, straight cut then about 30 degrees diagonally each way.

IMG-20200514-WA0010.jpg

And now, i think i'll be spraying my lawn with roundup and doing a full reno on it instead .. :eek::eek:

And now, i think i'll be spraying my lawn with roundup and doing a full reno on it instead .. :eek::eek:

Haha.

I just put down Pro-Kleen Iron Sulphate all over the garden, 2g per litre per 1sqm.

Garden is around 250sqm - I had no sprayer, no watering can and no hose.

I did however have a 5litre container and a milk bottle will holes drilled into it to act as a sprinkler. 5 and a half hours later, I'm sitting down having dinner.

Glutton for punishment!

Haha.

I just put down Pro-Kleen Iron Sulphate all over the garden, 2g per litre per 1sqm.

I did however have a 5litre container and a milk bottle will holes drilled into it to act as a sprinkler. 5 and a half hours later, I'm sitting down having dinner.

Glutton for punishment!

I'd be interested to see the recovery rate ! did you apply any feed or seed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Haha.

Glutton for punishment!

That Pro Kleen Iron Sulphate is £16.99 on Amazon for 2.5KG.
    For anyone with a large lawn you can get a 25KG bag of Iron Sulphate in most hardware stores or Coop Stores for almost the same price,it will last for years .
    It will do exactly the same job .

Zardoz wrote: »
    That Pro Kleen Iron Sulphate is £16.99 on Amazon for 2.5KG.
    For anyone with a large lawn you can get a 25KG bag of Iron Sulphate in most hardware stores or Coop Stores for almost the same price,it will last for years .
    It will do exactly the same job .

Thanks Zardoz, good to know!
    I'd be interested to see the recovery rate ! did you apply any feed or seed ?

No, just the Iron Sulphate at the moment, just ordered seeds from Seeddirect so hopefully they'll be here in the next few days.

In the meantime though, I want to aerate the soil, any opinions on the best core aerators? I'd like to do it before I seed if I can.

• Advertisement

Thanks Zardoz, good to know!

No, just the Iron Sulphate at the moment, just ordered seeds from Seeddirect so hopefully they'll be here in the next few days.

In the meantime though, I want to aerate the soil, any opinions on the best core aerators? I'd like to do it before I seed if I can.

Rent a Camon ? And a back pack blower . and do it on a dry day !!! other wise you'll upend pulling out thatch/clay walking on it, and it'll be a right pain to remove then after :(

Rent a Camon ? And a back pack blower . and do it on a dry day !!! other wise you'll upend pulling out thatch/clay walking on it, and it'll be a right pain to remove then after :(

Cheer Dr4gul4 - is it worth renting an aerator as opposed to just getting the manual core one? 30e for that and some man-hours & then I have it for ever more :D

Cheer Dr4gul4 - is it worth renting an aerator as opposed to just getting the manual core one? 30e for that and some man-hours & then I have it for ever more :D

250 sq meters is a fair bit of space to use a manual one one, I mean i'm all for killing my self and all that, but ya know ..

I think the steel one's are pricey enough ? 50/60 euro, at least with a days rent of a machine you know you'll get it all done.

They say it's the clear up that gets you in the end anyway . ( with a petrol one )

250 sq meters is a fair bit of space to use a manual one one, I mean i'm all for killing my self and all that, but ya know ..

I think the steel one's are pricey enough ? 50/60 euro, at least with a days rent of a machine you know you'll get it all done.

They say it's the clear up that gets you in the end anyway . ( with a petrol one )

What does the clear up mean? I read you're meant to leave the cores..

As for the 50/60e, my thinking is I get it once and then can use it over & over! Something to keep me busy in the evening/weekends :D

What does the clear up mean? I read you're meant to leave the cores..

As for the 50/60e, my thinking is I get it once and then can use it over & over! Something to keep me busy in the evening/weekends :D

It's all situational, if you're a lot of moss / thatch, You'd want to lift those cores as oppose to spread them + possible disease around the top of the lawn.

I hear ya on the buy it once, and use it as you need. Covid however seems to be causing production issues, at least on my end, Looking at picking up an einhell one, cant get one anywhere :(

It's all situational, if you're a lot of moss / thatch, You'd want to lift those cores as oppose to spread them + possible disease around the top of the lawn.

I hear ya on the buy it once, and use it as you need. Covid however seems to be causing production issues, at least on my end, Looking at picking up an einhell one, cant get one anywhere :(

Ah okay - that makes sense! Will keep that in mind and clear them up as I did have a lot of thatch & moss.

How much will that set you back, you must have a decent space?

The manual core ones are rubbish.
    The cores get stuck in them and its back breaking work.
    I have one ,its a waste of time.

Its probably getting a bit late in the year to do it too I'd say ,the ground is getting hard ,might be better off waiting till September and hire one .

Ah okay - that makes sense! Will keep that in mind and clear them up as I did have a lot of thatch & moss.

How much will that set you back, you must have a decent space?

I've 2500 sq meters, but i'll break it down in to sections in october.

To buy an "entry" level petrol scarifier you're looking at 350 - 700, but ! thats to cater for my space. You could always buy an electric one, with the thine rake and just use it for smaller areas of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Zardoz wrote: »
    The manual core ones are rubbish.
    The cores get stuck in them and its back breaking work.
    I have one ,its a waste of time.

I've gone through two manual ones in the last 18 months and wholeheartedly agree. I've had no luck sourcing a core aerator in Cork - all of the companies I've contacted only have spike aerators.

RonanC wrote: »
    I've gone through two manual ones in the last 18 months and wholeheartedly agree. I've had no luck sourcing a core aerator in Cork - all of the companies I've contacted only have spike aerators.

I looked into getting one a few years back, HSS Hire in Cork ,had them ,they were 50 euro plus Vat per day but I don't have a trailer to collect .
    They might still have them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement