Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derogation to the Wildlife Act 2020-21

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Kat1170 wrote: »
    In that case almost every, if not every species is non native to any part of the planet that was covered by ice in the last ice age.

Unless you start "native" at the last ice age.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

Ivy is a native plant. it is a vital plant for pollinators and is a great berry crop for a lot of birds.
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2015/feb/19/english-ivy-berry-good-for-birds

One thing I have noticed in the last 20 years is the expansion of ivy.

Across from me is a dry stone wall that I vividly remember from the mid-70's, about 20 years before I bought this house. Since about the early 2000's it has become engulfed in ivy along its whole length, about 1km or so. This wall is at least 100 years old and I remember it being absolutely clear 45 years ago and remaining so about 20 years ago, definitively.

I have to clear the ivy from the mature trees in the ditch now, which I never had to do 20 years ago.

I reckon it's CO2- related. Seriously, CO2 is plant food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

yubabill wrote: »
    Unless you start "native" at the last ice age.

A good definition I have for a non-native species, is from an old Ecology text book I still have from my college days.

It states "a non-native species is a species that has been deliberately or accidentally introduced to an ecosystem by mankind, this definition obviously excludes native species that were wiped out by the hand of man, but subsequently re-introduced"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

So I had to pull a few favours in to get a any response:

Dear Mr Zxthinger,

The Wild Birds State Wide Declaration for the period 1 May 2020 to 30 April 2021 allows the killing and capturing of certain wild bird species where they are causing damage to crops, livestock and fauna or represent a threat to public health or safety. The Declaration allows for the shooting of Wood Pigeon to prevent serious damage to arable crops except for the months of June, July and August this year. I have considered the matter further in consultation with farming interests. I am conscious that the farming sector does have serious concerns about the exclusion of the wood pigeon from the Declaration during the June to August period on the basis of damage to crop yield, damage to crops making them difficult to harvest and also faecal contamination. At the same time the National Parks and Wildlife Service of the Department has raised valid concerns about the extent of scientific information on the extent of damage.

Accordingly, I have decided that the status quo be reinstated for the wood pigeon this year i.e. that lethal means would be available to landowners during the three summer months June, July and August to prevent crop damage. Additionally, the issue of wood pigeon damage to crops during the summer months will be examined with a view to considering this issue in the 2021/22 year.

Therefore there is no longer ban in place.

Kind regards,
    Josepha

Josepha Madigan TD
    Minister for Culture, Heritage, and the Gaeltacht
    Dublin Rathdown

www.josephamadigan.ie | Phone: (01) 618 3252 | Email: josepha.madigan@oireachtas.ie | Twitter: @josephamadigan | Facebook: JosephaMadiganFG | Instagram: josepha_madigan

Address: Leinster House. Kildare Street, Dublin 2 | Constituency Office: 9 Braemor Road, Churchtown,

Advertisement