Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broccoli just won’t form heads!

Options
  • 12-05-2020 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

So I planted out lots of broccoli plants last autumn and overwintered them for some spring broccoli (I thought). The plants are the leafiest happiest looking things you’ve ever seen but not a head in sight yet. They are definitely a bit overcrowded but other than that no sign of stress. Trying to decide if I pack it in, stop waiting for them to head and use the valuable space to plant something else. Or do I keep waiting? Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I only had a couple but basically the same thing, they looked like they'd do something then - bang they bolted and that was that. If they've shown nothing by now then they won't as it's just too warm. I actually think that's why mind failed over the winter - it was simply too mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Spacing and head size are directly connected... Some strains will grow large heads like commercially available in supermarkets. Others just won't.

https://www.quickcrop.ie/learning/plant/brocolli-calabrese

Advertisement