Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade from Intel to AMD

Options
  • 12-05-2020 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭

Hey so im planning on doing an upgrade from my 7 year old 3570k to a 3700x.

Got the new motherboard and ram picked out, going for x570 to future proof etc but ive read conflicting info on what i may or may not need to do as regards windows.

Best practice seems to indicate a full reinstall being required however if i could get away with it id love to not have to do it. Some say its fine to go ahead as windows 10 can handle it as long as you clean up old drivers after it and some suggest using sysprep.exe to get the new drivers installed correctly on first startup. Ill obviously be backing up before anything though but im not really sure what i should try?

As far as my license goes when i check in cmd prompt it indicates im using a retail license so i should be good for not having to repurchase windows however in my MS account it says "to be filled by OEM". Does this mean its actually tied to my current motherboard?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give

Comments

Whatever you do, do a clean install of Windows. Especially when changing to a different platform. You'll regret it if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Are you logged in with a Microsoft account on Windows? If so and your license is retail then it should be tied to your Microsoft account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,953 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Whatever you do, do a clean install of Windows. Especially when changing to a different platform. You'll regret it if you don't.

What are the kind of problems you are likely to come across by not reinstalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have always re-installed Windows and rang the phone number to activate it telling them I have changed HD and GPU or some ****e, and they have always re-activated OEM windows for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

VinLieger wrote: »
    What are the kind of problems you are likely to come across by not reinstalling?

Your OS registry will get cluttered with all kinds of crap from installs most of which remains even after you uninstall the software. There will be remnants of board and gpu drivers as well. You can use some software to clean this up but it's not 100%.

A fresh install is pretty quick and painless these days. I keep all games on a separate drive which doesn't need to be touched. You just need to redirect steam or whatever games store to your game library.

Back up anything you want to keep off the old OS drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The absolute nightmare I went through.

I went Intel to AMD before Christmas, trust me. Clean install

I formatted my SSD's and only kept my HDD from my legcy build, and even that has CONSTANT permissions issues to the point I've actually just removed it from my rig entirely. It was an old 500GB HDD that just had tons of **** from over the years, but with HDD's so cheap now have a new 2TB on the way for just a dumping ground of vods, videos and pics etc.

TheDoc wrote: »
    The absolute nightmare I went through.

I went Intel to AMD before Christmas, trust me. Clean install

I formatted my SSD's and only kept my HDD from my legcy build, and even that has CONSTANT permissions issues to the point I've actually just removed it from my rig entirely. It was an old 500GB HDD that just had tons of **** from over the years, but with HDD's so cheap now have a new 2TB on the way for just a dumping ground of vods, videos and pics etc.

This is the thing though ive read nearly as many stories like yours but saying saying it went fine.

TBH because of the hassle involved of a full reinstall due how ive stupidly got stuff setup im gonna back it up and try for a switch over using sysprep and follow up by cleaning out the old drivers and registry mess.

If it doesn't work ill just wipe and reinstall but for me its worth trying considering how much effort id have to go through for a reinstall to get back to where i currently am.

Thanks for the advice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

I went from Intel to AMD without a fresh install and encountered no issues at all. I just ddu'd all the Intel drivers and switched my nvme m.2 drive to the new mobo
    The only issue I encountered was with the windows licence had to be renewed.
    Windows10 is very forgiving... For me anyway.
    I'm usimg the same os install about 4-5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I went from Intel to AMD without a fresh install and encountered no issues at all.

did the same today

no problems at all, just installed the AMD chipset drivers and OS is working perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

only thing id say is.. you get just as many good stories as you do bad stories using this method. you get 0 bad stories on a fresh install. i used to fresh install every couple of years regardless of upgrade just to clean things up fully. PC never runs as well as the first few months with less **** on it.

Just recently upgraded myself and i never even considered using an old instal. but then again i have everything well setup so i can with minimal tweeking to get back to my original setup. NAS/cloud and game drives are extremely beneficial for that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

It shouldn't even be a debate really,the speed it installs on an SSD these days means it should just be good practise to do it.

Hell I've done a fresh install on a PC after a year or two never mind a hardware change. As someone already said most programs can just be redirected to install locations aswell so shouldn't be any massive downloads or anything.

EoinHef wrote: »
    It shouldn't even be a debate really,the speed it installs on an SSD these days means it should just be good practise to do it.

That all depends on what you actually have installed, my install is complicated and don't really fancy taking an extra couple of days of tedious installation for a fresh install

Best practice it may be, but sometimes its just not practical

kingtiger wrote: »
    That all depends on what you actually have installed, my install is complicated and don't really fancy taking an extra couple of days of tedious installation for a fresh install

Best practice it may be, but sometimes its just not practical

Yeah mines a bit of a mess as well, getting back to where I'm currently at with it could easily take a few days,not to mention the prep involved beforehand to organise and figure out everything that needed to be done.

Yeah mines a bit of a mess as well, getting back to where I'm currently at with it could easily take a few days,not to mention the prep involved beforehand to organise and figure out everything that needed to be done.

indeed, I had setup my plan for a reinstall before upgrade, but said to myself fcuk it let's give it a shot with my rig setup exactly the way it was apart from board / cpu / ram .

I was expecting bsod's and restarts like the good old XP days

But was surprised when it booted without a problem, apart from installing chipset drivers, everything is working great since then

Windows 10 LTSC seems to be pretty unforgiving thankfully

Update for anyone interested in doing it themselves or curious what happened.

Did the rebuild last might, new mobo ram and 3700x.

Posted first try and after a few mins figuring things out windows started with no issues. Gonna still need to clean some old drivers and registry stuff up but things looking okay so far.

Advertisement