Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Margaret Cash thread in current affairs closed by Beasty

Options
  • 12-05-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The Margaret Cash thread was closed by moderator Beasty today.
    I had bumped it as I was prompted to look at her Facebook page due to a recent Cash family funeral.
    I posted to the thread highlighting that she had bought a quad bike for her barely teenage son, and had posted a video of him driving it in what looked like a housing estate.
    I found this appalling and thought it deserved to be shared with the forum, as miss Cash continues to make loud noises and keep herself in the public eye.
    This behaviour warrants critique in my opinion.
    On her public Facebook page just a few days earlier she had posted about how she has done everything herself and never needed or asked for help from anyone.
    I find this opinion if hers wrong on a number of levels, given the fact that the state provide her with everything.
    This is an attitude that I think needs to be challenged, discussed and critiqued.
    Margaret Cash keeps herself in the public eye and is representative of a certain sector if society (not travellers - but welfare lifers and law flouters) and thusly I think the thread should be reopened to allow discussion.

Beasty's did not give a rationale initially for closing the thread, and when I pm'd to question, I was told I was traveller bashing.
    In fact if you look at the thread you will see that I did not traveller bash at all, but critisised her the quad purchase only. Very few of the follow posts I would class as traveller bashing also.
    I really think Beasty jumped the gun and is blinkered by an agenda or pride.
    I think this thread should be reopened to allow discussion to continue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think it's important that such threads are kept open.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

eurokev wrote: »
    Hi,

The Margaret Cash thread was closed by moderator Beasty today.
    I had bumped it as I was prompted to look at her Facebook page due to a recent Cash family funeral.
    I posted to the thread highlighting that she had bought a quad bike for her barely teenage son, and had posted a video of him driving it in what looked like a housing estate.
    I found this appalling and thought it deserved to be shared with the forum, as miss Cash continues to make loud noises and keep herself in the public eye.
    This behaviour warrants critique in my opinion.

On her public Facebook page just a few days earlier she had posted about how she has done everything herself and never needed or asked for help from anyone.
    I find this opinion if hers wrong on a number of levels, given the fact that the state provide her with everything.
    This is an attitude that I think needs to be challenged, discussed and critiqued.
    Margaret Cash keeps herself in the public eye and is representative of a certain sector if society (not travellers - but welfare lifers and law flouters) and thusly I think the thread should be reopened to allow discussion.

Beasty's did not give a rationale initially for closing the thread, and when I pm'd to question, I was told I was traveller bashing.
    In fact if you look at the thread you will see that I did not traveller bash at all, but critisised her the quad purchase only. Very few of the follow posts I would class as traveller bashing also.
    I really think Beasty jumped the gun and is blinkered by an agenda or pride.
    I think this thread should be reopened to allow discussion to continue

You’re claiming she’s keeping herself in the public eye, but you’re the person who had the interest to go have a snoop on her page in the first place, to post in a thread that had gone quiet over three months ago? That’s not Margaret Cash keeping herself in the public eye and making loud noises, when you have to go snooping on her page to see what she’s up to!

There was no discussion being had in that thread, nor in any of the previous threads specifically relating to Margaret Cash. They were just continuing attempts to manufacture outrage on Boards in an attempt to target and humiliate a single individual. Have you learned nothing at all from the number of people who we know have taken their own lives as a result of a mob of people going out of their way to humiliate them online?

I was happy to see that thread closed tbh as there was no discussion, just the usual venting and spouting nonsense targeting a single individual. I like to think Boards has higher standards than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭eurokev

You’re claiming she’s keeping herself in the public eye, but you’re the person who had the interest to go have a snoop on her page in the first place, to post in a thread that had gone quiet over three months ago? That’s not Margaret Cash keeping herself in the public eye and making loud noises, when you have to go snooping on her page to see what she’s up to!

There was no discussion being had in that thread, nor in any of the previous threads specifically relating to Margaret Cash. They were just continuing attempts to manufacture outrage on Boards in an attempt to target and humiliate a single individual. Have you learned nothing at all from the number of people who we know have taken their own lives as a result of a mob of people going out of their way to humiliate them online?

I was happy to see that thread closed tbh as there was no discussion, just the usual venting and spouting nonsense targeting a single individual. I like to think Boards has higher standards than that.

Margaret very much keeps herself in the public eye, it has just been curtailed lately due to covid.

Do you not think her behaviour warrants critisism?
    She posted a video of herself breaking the law.
    She has provided her barely teenage son with a dangerous machine, which is notorious for trouble.
    Politicians, gardai and private bodies have campaigned for the last number of years to discourage people from buying quads and scramblers - absolutely no good comes from them.

I will take my take my chances with regards Margaret's mental health/ feelings of being bullied in the event of her seeing the thread. I would hope it would make her see sense.
    What if her son injures/kills himself or someone else when out, what can only be termed joyriding imo, on his new toy.

In my opinion the gardai have video evidence of her breaking law and should be knocking on her door.
    It was only a few months ago she was in the news for buying a horse and having it tied up in her back garden.

People like this need to be observed, discussed and critiqued.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Margaret very much keeps herself in the public eye, it has just been curtailed lately due to covid.

Haven’t heard from her in over a year.

I don’t actually care, to be honest.

Then it’s you is trying to keeping them in the public eye, not themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

She posted a video of herself breaking the law.
    She has provided her barely teenage son with a dangerous machine, which is notorious for trouble.
    Politicians, gardai and private bodies have campaigned for the last number of years to discourage people from buying quads and scramblers - absolutely no good comes from them.

I will take my take my chances with regards Margaret's mental health/ feelings of being bullied in the event of her seeing the thread. I would hope it would make her see sense.
    What if her son injures/kills himself or someone else when out, what can only be termed joyriding imo, on his new toy.

In my opinion the gardai have video evidence of her breaking law and should be knocking on her door.
    It was only a few months ago she was in the news for buying a horse and having it tied up in her back garden.

Brilliant post.

Some mods actions lately and political beliefs needs questioning.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some mods actions lately and political beliefs needs questioning.

I would challenge you to find a single post out of the 38,000+ I have made on this site which indicate my "political beliefs"

Does the help desk serve a purpose?

I would have thought a grievance is considered, and an answer with rationale given hence bringing the matter to a close?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Does the help desk serve a purpose?

I would have thought a grievance is considered, and an answer with rationale given hence bringing the matter to a close?
    You have already seen my rationale on the situation. Please bear in mind we are currently low on active Admins. There may be someone else along but I really cannot give you an indication of when

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I'm not sure what outcome you were expecting eurokev but you went looking at a private individual's Facebook page to find something to be annoyed about (a funeral), it wasn't there because you were wrong so you decided you'd throw something else out there to try and rile up a few people (the quad bike).
    If she had made a public speech, been protesting in public as she has in the past or was talking to the papers - then fair enough, this is a legitimate reason to resurrect the thread. But snooping on her page for gossip about her and her kids is pretty low, small minded and not worth "discussion". Beasty was right to close the thread and it won't be re-opening.

I'm not sure what outcome you were expecting eurokev but you went looking at a private individual's Facebook page to find something to be annoyed about (a funeral), it wasn't there because you were wrong so you decided you'd throw something else out there to try and rile up a few people (the quad bike).
    If she had made a public speech, been protesting in public as she has in the past or was talking to the papers - then fair enough, this is a legitimate reason to resurrect the thread. But snooping on her page for gossip about her and her kids is pretty low, small minded and not worth "discussion". Beasty was right to close the thread and it won't be re-opening.

I wasn't looking for something to be annoyed about, simply looking to see if she had relations in Cork. If I hadn't seen anything in the last week on her Facebook, I would not have posted anything.
    Everybody is a private individual - at what point do they become public. I would certainly see Ms Cash as a public individual, she consistently thrusts herself in to the public eye, attending protests, posting live videos threatening bouncers and gardai and uses her 'private' Facebook to bang that drum.
    What she did with the quad IS illegal and dangerous, and warrants discussion. That's how discussions happen. There would be no boards.ie without things to discuss. Do me a favour and Google quad scrambler accident in to Google and see what you get in relation to the lower socio economic classes in Dublin.
    I am also offended you calling me low, small minded and a gossip. I have not insulted Beasty or anyone else for disagreeing with their viewpoint.
    I strongly feel that giving her child a quad bike and riding it in public places is worth "discussion"
    Anyway I can see I am not going to get anywhere, and I am not going to get any valid reason, so I may aswell leave it

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I said that the action of snooping on someone's page for something to talk about was low and small-minded, not you as a person.

I agree that quad bikes are dangerous for young children - why not start a discussion about children on quad bikes rather than targetting one specific kid/parent?

As I said in my previous post, if she or anyone are putting something out there into the public realm it can be discussed, but a video of her child with a new 'toy' on her personal Facebook page does not fall into that category.

Advertisement