Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify Hinges

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

The hinge in the picture looks like one of these
    https://www.sdslondon.co.uk/product/flush-hinge-60mm.html
    Which I would think would be too light weight for a lid of that size
    The hinges Calahonda mentions would be much better especially if the lids flies open on a windy day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I want to make a wooden garden storage box like this https://bcc53877d7aa0a135b9a-1452ca75bf8985207bb5b0c44a65ef28.ssl.cf4.rackcdn.com/Product-1600x1600/6460756a-2d88-4a4e-bc4e-17982814bd65.jpg

The box is no issue but I'm confused as to the type of hinges used. Could anyone identify please and the size required? Many Thanks!

Are you asking about the hinges on the lid or the flap at the bottom?

The lid seems to be using (undersized!) flush hinges
    The flap is using surface mounted flap hinges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Thanks all. I thought they might be flush hinges but then thought otherwise as they would be way too light weight for that lid. I thought then, they must be some sort of double cranked hinges but couldn't quite work that out.

Think I will go with the strap hinges as suggested by Calahonda52. They would be more substantial and hold the weight better. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

Looks like a great idea for outdoor cushions storage, keep us updated with the build progress please !

• Advertisement

oleras wrote: »
    Looks like a great idea for outdoor cushions storage, keep us updated with the build progress please !

You mean an insect hotel! :eek:

oleras wrote: »

Will do but it may be some weeks before I get around to it. I'm in the middle of building a pergola, putting up new fences, trellis and raised beds for my new Hot Tub Zone :D

Just finished cleaning patios and re-grouting them and fresh coat of paint on the decking so running out of steam at this stage!

GreeBo wrote: »
    You mean an insect hotel! :eek:

Not at all! I built one almost exactly the same but bigger and is used as a coal bunker ( still love a real fire in winter). There are no bugs in it at all :D

Once you raise any wooden items on bricks or in the case of this box, bitumen coated wooden 2x2 slats and keep it painted, you'l have no issues with bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I want to make a wooden garden storage box like this https://bcc53877d7aa0a135b9a-1452ca75bf8985207bb5b0c44a65ef28.ssl.cf4.rackcdn.com/Product-1600x1600/6460756a-2d88-4a4e-bc4e-17982814bd65.jpg

The box is no issue but I'm confused as to the type of hinges used. Could anyone identify please and the size required? Many Thanks!
    Not at all! I built one almost exactly the same but bigger and is used as a coal bunker ( still love a real fire in winter). There are no bugs in it at all :D

Once you raise any wooden items on bricks or in the case of this box, bitumen coated wooden 2x2 slats and keep it painted, you'l have no issues with bugs.
    Use the same hinges on your new box?

Use the same hinges on your new box?

Much more of a heavy duty box and hinges are big iron hinges like belt straps. They were a little expensive and a tad overkill for a much smaller box. Also the lid is constructed differently so they wouldn't work anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Much more of a heavy duty box and hinges are big iron hinges like belt straps. They were a little expensive and a tad overkill for a much smaller box. Also the lid is constructed differently so they wouldn't work anyway.
    I get you now,
    The ones in your picture are flush hinges as MTD said .
    They allow the lid to close down outside the top of the box.
    You might need the 75mm ones, and place the box back against a wall
    to stop the lid going past vertical when opening.
    Or use a retaining strap, or go ott and use a pair of gas struts from a old car boot.

I find woodlice and spiders get everywhere...no matter what!

GreeBo wrote: »
    I find woodlice and spiders get everywhere...no matter what!

I have 3 timber sheds, a welly boot box, a coal bunker and a kids toy box all in the garden but no issues with spiders or woodlice. Well maybe a spider or 2 but not enough to put me off using timber outside. Sure spiders are in your house.

Have you a thing about spiders? :eek:

I get you now,
    The ones in your picture are flush hinges as MTD said .
    They allow the lid to close down outside the top of the box.
    You might need the 75mm ones, and place the box back against a wall
    to stop the lid going past vertical when opening.
    Or use a retaining strap, or go ott and use a pair of gas struts from a old car boot.

Have some spare gas struts so maybe your right. Just stick to a simple hinge and let the struts take the weight. Good idea ;)

Incidentally, I bought a car boot strut for my coal bunker, it was a little overkill and nearly took the lid completely off :D Have to be careful with them suckers!

Advertisement