Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative to Honor Magicbook 14

• 13-05-2020 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi, I have seen Glasso recommend the Honor Magicbook 14 on a few threads and it looks like it would suit my needs and budget, BUT, I am put off by the webcam position. I predict a lot of Zoom etc on my new laptop. Any alternatives? I can spend a bit more but would prefer to keep it below €1000.

I have a Dell Latitude 5480 for work, two years old and works perfectly. Still decent battery life even. If there was something decent from Dell work would probably let me purchase it through their account.

Comments

nothing compares imo until you get near 1000 like the dell 7000 14

all the performance is eked out of the ryzen 5 cpu due to good thermal design.

I would get it and if the webcam bothers you then buy a usb one that would fit easily in a laptop sleeve to carry

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eatek-Microphone-High-Definition-360-Degree-Conference/dp/B087D2YMY4/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=webcam&qid=1589368478&sr=8-17

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭cian8

@Glasso.

Thank you for the quick feedback. I will get a quote for the Dell from work and then decide - they look very nice too! Seems to be discounts on them at the moment too.

Ya the external webcam is a good option - although a little less robust with my three small kids using it everyday!

just put the webcam away then when you're finished and let the kids use the built-in one :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I quite like the new Ideapad 5. !0% off when you signup to Lenovo Ireland too so just over 600 euro. It is quite similar setup to the Honor

it has the newer amd cpus but it doesn't have the build quality and portability of the honor

and in that config it has a smallish battery

depends what you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭ClaptonBay

The Huawei matebook 14 is on Amazon for £539.

Is there a difference between that Machine and the honor?is one better than the other? Sorry on phone can't link.

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    The Huawei matebook 14 is on Amazon for £539.

Is there a difference between that Machine and the honor?is one better than the other? Sorry on phone can't link.

unless spec difference e.g. ssd size no difference afaik apart from colour finishes on the metal and branding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Love the look of the magic book but I really need a numeric key pad. It's ok when I'm at home as can use wireless keyboard but if I'm out I need it. Any ideas of best laptop with one. Around 600-700 euro

Love the look of the magic book but I really need a numeric key pad. It's ok when I'm at home as can use wireless keyboard but if I'm out I need it. Any ideas of best laptop with one. Around 600-700 euro

going to struggle to get that on an affordable quality portable laptop

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=number+pad+for+laptop&crid=2RXV143AJMSR4&sprefix=number+pad+%2Caps%2C380&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

glasso wrote: »

Laptop mainly used at home so portability non main priority. Was thinking about the honor but just wondering what you would recommend with numeric kehypad. Sorry if I should have started new thread

• Advertisement

numeric pad you're looking at 15.6 inch laptops and even then it's not common anymore really

try box.co.uk.
    currys/ pc world for 15.6 inch units to see if they have it

some of dells business line may have it also

glasso wrote: »
    numeric pad you're looking at 15.6 inch laptops and even then it's not common anymore really

try box.co.uk.
    currys/ pc world for 15.6 inch units to see if they have it

some of dells business line may have it also
    Thanks. As it'll be hooked up at home and using wireless keyboard I'm learning towards the honor with a USB numeric pad

Advertisement