Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switches turning on and off

Options
  • 13-05-2020 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, several years ago while my house was being built, when the new switches were installed but before the electricity was connected, I saw a light switch turning off and on around ten times in one go. This is a basic light switch which requires somebody to press it. However, I saw the toggle move up and down by itself around ten times in quick succession, and heard the click of the switch each time. It never happened again and four years later this light works normally. Is there any explanation for this? It baffles me still. This is a genuine post and I am looking for practical suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Andhonest wrote: »
    Hi, several years ago while my house was being built, when the new switches were installed but before the electricity was connected, I saw a light switch turning off and on around ten times in one go. This is a basic light switch which requires somebody to press it. However, I saw the toggle move up and down by itself around ten times in quick succession, and heard the click of the switch each time. It never happened again and four years later this light works normally. Is there any explanation for this? It baffles me still. This is a genuine post and I am looking for practical suggestions.

I'm not sure if you need a priest or an electrician for this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Andhonest

aido79 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you need a priest or an electrician for this one...

I am still holding out for a suggestion, but it isn't looking good....!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, I'd go for priest, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Ah yes the good ol days when the acid trip made your light switches do funny things.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

"The light is on* but there's nobody home"

(*and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id have walked out the front door and ordered immediate demolition of the whole building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Andhonest wrote: »

Get an REC

Bruthal wrote: »
    Get an REC

I asked a Rec back then. No explanation!

New Home wrote: »
    "The light is on* but there's nobody home"

(*and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and etc)

Pretty much, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hesker

Is it possible you dreamt it. Serious question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

1378614_orig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If someone wanted to play a joke, its possible but other than that, supernatural or imagination.
    Id like to see the face on the electrician you mentioned this to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Can't explain seeing it multiple times but in my own house, less than two years old, one light switch sometimes switches itself off. The button just springs back into the off position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Its the ghost of Mr Hodges from Dads Army.

"Put that light out!"

hesker wrote: »
    Is it possible you dreamt it. Serious question.

100% awake, during the day. No doubt.

Bruthal wrote: »
    1378614_orig.jpg

I wish. Unfortunately, it really happened.

Advertisement