Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single tenant made redundant, options

Options
  • 13-05-2020 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a single tenant with Part 4 tenant right (in property 18months).

She is a really good tenant, rent always on time, no messing etc. She was recently made redundant and served notice.

She doesn't want to leave but knows she won't be now able to afford rent on her own. While she applies for new jobs, is there welfare rent assistance for someone in her position (previously on 50k approx)?

I'd really rather not be bothered with having to tidy up house and having views in current climate and would rather she stayed, but I don't want to cause issues for myself either.

If I reduce rent, is that the new fixed rent going forward? I could agree to let her go into a certain amount of arrears, knowing I'll never get it but that could cause me problems to.

I must have a chat with solicitor in the next week but would welcome any thoughts/suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

How likely is it that she will get another job? I think I would start there before coming to an agreement on reducing rent etc. She might get the dole, but it could be hard for someone like her to get rent allowance, I never did the whole time I was on the dole during the recession. The rent was too high at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

She should ask welfare about HAP eligibility, it will depend on what savings she has, not on her previous salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hi
    I have a single tenant with Part 4 tenant right (in property 18months).

She is a really good tenant, rent always on time, no messing etc. She was recently made redundant and served notice.

She doesn't want to leave but knows she won't be now able to afford rent on her own. While she applies for new jobs, is there welfare rent assistance for someone in her position (previously on 50k approx)?

I'd really rather not be bothered with having to tidy up house and having views in current climate and would rather she stayed, but I don't want to cause issues for myself either.

If I reduce rent, is that the new fixed rent going forward? I could agree to let her go into a certain amount of arrears, knowing I'll never get it but that could cause me problems to.

I must have a chat with solicitor in the next week but would welcome any thoughts/suggestions.
    There is no point in making her problems become your problems. You are just going to have to get off you ass and get another tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

She can apply for rent allowance as opposed to HAP. It is means tested but the savings limit is actually quite high. Worth her while seeing if she can qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

There is no point in making her problems become your problems. You are just going to have to get off you ass and get another tenant.

While I don't agree with the sentiment of "getting off your ass", it might be the best thing to get another tenant.

She is an adult that held a reasonably responsible job, and surely is quite capable of running her own affairs. She gave you notice, I'm sure that she has thought it through.

There is also the possibility that she just wants to move and is using redundancy as an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 gnr vr fan

You seem like a really nice landlord.

Wheres the property? Can I rent there? How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If I reduce rent, is that the new fixed rent going forward?
    Generally, yes.
    If she wants to, she can live there rent free for another month or two, as there's no evictions due to COVID.
    She doesn't want to leave
    And then she could stay until you evict her in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

All turned out fine, my very good tenant left.

Lots of interest in renting house again.

Two very suitable tenants, one on HAP.

Any obvious downsides to HAP for a landlord? Idiots guide please, I've done quite a few rental agreements since 07 but they have all been private and long term.

Thanks for assistance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

You cannot refuse HAP and if seen to being doing it, you are in the crap. However, if you choose a non HAP tenant as they seem a better fit, that is up to you.

The tenant pays a small amount and the HAP office pays the rest. If the tenant stops paying the little bit, you get nothing at all.

I let a house in the last month and after the HAP office telling the tenant they would get HAP, they then refused it on the basis they had to much coming in ?!?!?

So now my HAP tenant is now a self financing tenant. I guess it would be a good idea to ensure if going HAP, that the tenant has written confirmation as in my case, they got burnt in the ass.

Thats all I can say on the subject but am sure others more knowledgeable will be able to assist better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Any obvious downsides to HAP for a landlord? Idiots guide please, I've done quite a few rental agreements since 07 but they have all been private and long term.

Thanks for assistance

Run a mile!

Too much work to get HAP
    Potential for them to inspect the property and for you to incur 1000s
    Just get a working professional and save yourself the headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Why do the council stop paying you if the tenant stops paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

arctictree wrote: »

It's a great way to house people for free for a bit.

Because thats the rules !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Because thats the rules !

Yes but what's the reasoning behind the rule? Surely they would get more properties without this rule...

Yes but what's the reasoning behind the rule? Surely they would get more properties without this rule...
    Who fecking knows. I follow facebook forums for HAP and everyone complains landlords refuse HAP or say yes, but privately dont.

Is it any fecking wonder ??? I caretake 2 places. One is very much "I am entitled to....." he is well managed but gets nothing but what is in the lease. You reap as you sow. He still thinks he is in a council house - he is not.

The other is fine, well managed and alround fine. They are polite and reasonable and that is how it goes both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Thanks for assistance

Why in Gods name would you take on a HAP tenant. Run a mile just don't make it obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You cannot refuse HAP and if seen to being doing it, you are in the crap.
    You can't say no to a HAP tenant, but at the same time, you don't have to reply to them either :pac:
    The tenant pays a small amount and the HAP office pays the rest. If the tenant stops paying the little bit, you get nothing at all.
    If the tenant stops paying, you get no rent, but you won't be notified that you're getting no rent.

=-=

I would recommend the 10 or 20 year plans if you want to rent your house to the council. Otherwise only rent private.

Why can’t she pay rent out of her redundancy payment? She is likely to also have savings and she will get jobseekers benefit.

Advertisement