Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment question

Options
  • 13-05-2020 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Was clearing out the garage and found a half dozen of these hidden away.

IMG-20200513-083041.jpg

Was hoping to try out some turbo Cider having read the main thread with all the great info, but I was wondering on the airlock/bung sizes.

The demijohns hold less than 5l, maybe 4.7 approx to the neck and the diameter of the opening is just over an inch

IMG-20200513-083058.jpg

Will a 1 gallon bung and airlock fit this - similar to https://www.homebrewwest.ie/bubbler-airlock-with-1gall-rubber-bung-and-cap-100-p.asp

I was planning to try 2 different cider yeasts and different sugars as well to see what hits the spot
    Also need to get a Hydrometer, Bottling wand/siphon
    Can I use milton as a sanitiser? Is there anything else this n00b might need before I order the above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Was clearing out the garage and found a half dozen of these hidden away.

IMG-20200513-083041.jpg

Was hoping to try out some turbo Cider having read the main thread with all the great info, but I was wondering on the airlock/bung sizes.

The demijohns hold less than 5l, maybe 4.7 approx to the neck and the diameter of the opening is just over an inch

IMG-20200513-083058.jpg

Will a 1 gallon bung and airlock fit this - similar to https://www.homebrewwest.ie/bubbler-airlock-with-1gall-rubber-bung-and-cap-100-p.asp

I was planning to try 2 different cider yeasts and different sugars as well to see what hits the spot
    Also need to get a Hydrometer, Bottling wand/siphon
    Can I use milton as a sanitiser? Is there anything else this n00b might need before I order the above.

Should fit fine I I reckon. I've seen people mention using Milton before but you'd want to give a fair old rinse afterwards to get rid of odour/taste.

Presume you are just using apple juice as opposed to pressing your own?

EDIT: Worth getting a shaped washing brush for demi johns. It's a right pain trying to clean the shoulder otherwise

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Get some oxi cleaner from the supermarket (unperfumed) and give them a really good soak. e.g.

31BVGW6855L._AC_.jpg

To sterilise, get some no rinse sanitiser like StarSan or ChemSan. Don't use Milton as it needs to be rinsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

mordeith wrote: »
    Should fit fine I I reckon. I've seen people mention using Milton before but you'd want to give a fair old rinse afterwards to get rid of odour/taste.

Presume you are just using apple juice as opposed to pressing your own?

EDIT: Worth getting a shaped washing brush for demi johns. It's a right pain trying to clean the shoulder otherwise

Cheers thanks for that, yeah apple juice to start - I have a source as well for apples but thats way down the line once I get the basics right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I was wondering on the airlock/bung sizes.
    Put a bit of tinfoil over the top to keep flies and dust out and that's all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Cheers thanks for that, yeah apple juice to start - I have a source as well for apples but thats way down the line once I get the basics right.

A few things based on having done this a few times:

1. Aldi apple juice is a good place to start.
    2. Pick a yeast to suit your taste. Most folks seem to use EC-1118 Champagne yeast. I have found that ferments out very dry as it has a high alcohol tolerance. It seems to strip out all the apple unless you stop it. A gentle white wine yeast is my preference these days, as I dont add sugar to increase alcohol content. I find the common use of additional table sugar thins out the flavour while increasing the ABV. In your situation, I'd be using your range of carboys with slightly different recipes. Take copious notes so you can repeat a winning formula.
    3. Even when you are using store bought juice which will probably been processed quite heavily, I always add pectolase which takes any pectic haze out of the final product, but more importantly, maximises the sugars available in the juice. When you do progress to using fresh juice, you will have to use pectolase.
    4. Because the store juice is likely to have preservatives and such, I always make a yeast starter 48 hours before pitching it. This ensures that I am maximising the chances of getting the fermentation off to a flying start, while minimising the chances that the environment is unsuited to the yeast.
    5. The apple juice may be deficient in nutrients for the yeast. Its cheap. Add some.
    6. Don't try to make a head warping brew. Focus on quality however you define that, rather than jungle juice. 2 pints of extremely flavorful 4% will produce
    the same alcohol effect as 1 pint of 8%, and your journey will usually be much more enjoyable.

Finally, clean everything thoroughly. Sanitize constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    A few things based on having done this a few times:

1. Aldi apple juice is a good place to start.
    2. Pick a yeast to suit your taste. Most folks seem to use EC-1118 Champagne yeast. I have found that ferments out very dry as it has a high alcohol tolerance. It seems to strip out all the apple unless you stop it. A gentle white wine yeast is my preference these days, as I dont add sugar to increase alcohol content. I find the common use of additional table sugar thins out the flavour while increasing the ABV. In your situation, I'd be using your range of carboys with slightly different recipes. Take copious notes so you can repeat a winning formula.
    3. Even when you are using store bought juice which will probably been processed quite heavily, I always add pectolase which takes any pectic haze out of the final product, but more importantly, maximises the sugars available in the juice. When you do progress to using fresh juice, you will have to use pectolase.
    4. Because the store juice is likely to have preservatives and such, I always make a yeast starter 48 hours before pitching it. This ensures that I am maximising the chances of getting the fermentation off to a flying start, while minimising the chances that the environment is unsuited to the yeast.
    5. The apple juice may be deficient in nutrients for the yeast. Its cheap. Add some.
    6. Don't try to make a head warping brew. Focus on quality however you define that, rather than jungle juice. 2 pints of extremely flavorful 4% will produce
    the same alcohol effect as 1 pint of 8%, and your journey will usually be much more enjoyable.

Finally, clean everything thoroughly. Sanitize constantly.

Thanks for the above, great info - I am looking forward to the trial and no doubt error phase with making different batches. Detailed notes will be needed for sure. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks for the above, great info - I am looking forward to the trial and no doubt error phase with making different batches. Detailed notes will be needed for sure. :)

I should also have said, I generally use supermarket water as the stuff out of the tap here is super chlorinated smelly. The water is about 1.30-1.50 for a 5L bottle and I reuse the bottle to store my finished product.

Advertisement