Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posting on forums while watching matches

• 13-05-2020 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Since there's no football to talk about I figured I'd start a discussion on something I've often wondered about. How do people regularly post on forums (Boards, Reddit, etc) during matches while also following the game? I tend to go into them during half time or after the match and see some people engaged in debates with others, replying to posts, commenting numerous times. How do you follow the match with your head stuck in the laptop/phone half the time?

Fair enough if you are only a casual follower, you'll still get to see the goals, free kicks and main action. But looking away from the TV for even a minute or 2 I find I can miss so much of the less glamorous but important action.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The actual time played during a 90 minute game is under an hour so that gives plenty of time to post comments on the game when the match has stopped for the ball being out of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This yoke in my hand usually causes me to post on forums mid match, I can concentrate on watching telly and posting about the match at the same time usually with a fair bit of ease...

Being a man I'm not normally good at multitasking but I definitely can manage a post or two (if I'm bothered) while observing a match on TV... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

A lot of people carry out full conversations on social media and WhatsApp while driving their car down the road at 80km/h so sitting in an armchair watching a match should be a breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Sometimes I’d do it to rant if something happens that I don’t like. Obviously it’s counterproductive but all kinds of ranting are really, other than a means of blowing off steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Lots of breaks in play or players passing the ball around the back as they slow build up play to enable conversations and then there are people who maybe using their laptops to watch the game and have two windows open or even better two screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If it's a big game with its own match thread I'll have the thread open, maybe post at HT and FT.

Take your eyes off it for 5 minutes and there's 100 new posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If I'm watching on the telly, I'll have my phone or laptop on.

If I'm watching it on my laptop, I'll have two minimised browsers open.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Most of the iconic threads on the forum are matchthreads, how people in real time react to the events. It's not war and peace literature but a very quick reaction that even reading back evokes the confusion, outrage or adulation of the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There's a lot of time in matches when not much is happening. It's not that hard to fire off a few pithy remarks. Anything more complicated has to wait until half or full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Because baiting the United fans is just as much fun as watching Liverpool win at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement