Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Fluff in Apple Trees

Options
  • 13-05-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

Mega-novice gardener here (should probably have factored that in when buying the house but hey-ho)

I'm working off the assumption that I've got wooly aphids. They appear in small circular lumps mostly but then I've noticed some new branches more or less completely covered in it. A little bit of research has led to me working with a Fairy liquid solution and I must say it does seem to be having a direct effect. The problem is that every time I look (i.e. days apart) I can find a new bunch of the buggers.

Is there a better solution or do I just need to keep at it/increase frequency? I'm sure the neighbours must think I've got issues "look at yer man up in the tree again!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

There are natural aphid predators like ladybirds and lacewing that will start to feed on your aphids if they are not scarred off by your washing up liquid. The larvae of the ladybirds don't fly and eat loads of aphids as well. You could also just use water to spray them off or squash the aphids with your fingers if you want to limit the number without worrying about injuring the aphid predators. Grow more flowers that will attract beneficial insects like hover flies (noticed lots of these so far this year in my own garden) and parasitic wasps. Here is a clip of a parasitic wasp getting some fuel on a flowering shrub in my own garden.

Advertisement