Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bill pay wireless broadband 29.99 euro per mont

Options
  • 13-05-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

HI,
    I recently bought a sim card for three which was advertised as 29.99 per month as described here: https://www.three.ie/shop/broadband/sim-only-broadband-plans.html

After getting my first bill I see that it's actually 35.79 due to VAT. I have complained to three that this was misleading but they aren't interested. Looking at their T&Cs there is no mention of this price not including VAT: https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/three-mobile-broadband-plans/

Has anyone had the same issue or any advice on how to proceed? I guess I'm stuck with this price but I think their website is very misleading.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi Kev

checked this out for you and bolded a few parts.
    The Mobile Broadband Price Plans and Price Plan Rules are in addition to the Terms for Three Services (“the Smallprint”) and any other terms provided to you as part of the authorisation process completed by you to approve registration and provision of Services.

Please read the Price Plans and Price Plan Rules carefully. By accessing or using the Services you agree to be bound by the terms of the Price Plan and Price Plan Rules chosen by you.

when i checked T&C's
    6.16 Your bill will normally include your fixed
    Charges and any administration fees along
    with Charges for your use of the Three
    Services in Ireland in the last period and
    outside Ireland in prior periods. It may also
    include an amount to repay the cost of your
    Three- compatible Device (depending on
    the payment scheme you have chosen).
    VAT will be added to your bill where
    appropriate.

https://www.three.ie/pdf/Small-Print.pdf

so it looks like your failed to read the T&C's? I say they are covered legally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

When i Go through sign up it says VAT included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

The €29.99 should include VAT. The sums don't add up for the amounts you provided

If it's your first bill are you paying for a month and a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

When i followed through it says VAT included at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's unlikely the extra charge is VAT, not least because as you're probably a retail consumer (not a business) 3 are obliged to quote the full tax (VAT) inclusive price of goods & services at point of sale.

Is there a detailed breakdown of the charges anywhere on the bill?

Are you beyond the 14 day cooling off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Do 3 charge on a calendar month basis? If so it could be start date to end of month plus following month.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Thanks for the replies.

I had the same 'VAT included' text when I applied too. The bill attached.

I'm starting to think my bill may be an error on my bill rather than a misleading advertising but it's incredibly difficult to get through to them right now and the people on web chat are just telling me it doesn't include VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Kevo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I had the same 'VAT included' text when I applied too. The bill attached.

I'm starting to think my bill may be an error on my bill rather than a misleading advertising but it's incredibly difficult to get through to them right now and the people on web chat are just telling me it doesn't include VAT.

The base price was 29.10 not 29.99 on the bill.

When did you sign up? There should be a full bill somewhere with more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

When you ordered the SIM, did they send an email confirmation of the order outlining the price and terms of the contract? They are obliged to give a contract via email at least, AFAIK it's not sufficient for 3 to point at links on their website without also issuing a contract document between 3 and each specific customer.

The order confirmation must also show the price including VAT, they can show the ex VAT price if they like but they must also show the full VAT inclusive price. If they only show the price without any mention of VAT then it is entirely reasonable to expect that to be the full price including VAT.

Anyway, it's probably an IT system typo but that doesn't make it any easier for customers to get it fixed.

Contact the complaints dept of 3 and lodge a formal complaint, customer service will probably hope you give up so use the complaints process to get it resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Prob just pro rata charges, which will fix up at next billing cycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Pro rata charge for about 6 days. It's usually mentioned in the documentation that you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

As above pro rata

Advertisement